am I crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohyeahbaby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
failed step 1 first time, took it again a couple of weeks later and barely passed. Had family problems, etc... (the usual gig)

in short: I would like my ERAS app to include my step 2 score. I've nailed pretty much every shelf exam and did very well in 3rd year. However, due to failing step 1, I had to miss my first rotation (surgery). My last rotation (which I just started) is internal medicine. I've scheduled to take step 2 CK the very next day after my shelf exam since my shelf is on a friday and surgery begins on Monday. They say that 60-65% of step 2 is medicine so it will still be fresh in my head. Am I thinking rationally about this?

The other option would be to take surgery after IM, a 2 week break to study and then take step 2. However, that's 2.5 months, and I feel like that's way too much time that would have elapsed between my medicine rotation and taking step 2. Plus the score will be in so late. I really don't want to get rejected based on my step 1 score. Also, everyone you talk to will say that the surgery shelf was pretty much all medicine.

Any input? has anybody done this? the administration has no issues with me taking step 2 before I complete year 3, although it's "not recommended".

Any input/advice/comments/anything would be VERY MUCH appreciated because after talking to classmates, I feel like I am all alone right now. No one else is doing this, and I am just hoping that one of you guys out there on SDN will have some useful advice.

thanks in advance

PS: interested in family medicine - nothing competitive, but I would really like to stay where I am

Members don't see this ad.

Based on combank/conquest I don't think that the familiarity from being on IM is going to make that big of a difference. I'd take it when you have a more free schedule/can get a week to study just for the exam. Its important for you to score fairly well given the first time, but you're certainly at no grave disadvantage. Just make sure you can do well on 2 first try. I took 1 during IM after surgery. Not the easiest, but my back was against the wall. Worked out.