Am I currently on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tjmentz

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to the forum. I am currently a sophomore at the University of Delaware planning to attend a DPT Program. Unfortunately I recieved not so great grades in Chem 1 & 2. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has had a similar experience as me and if anyone can offer and advice

Cumulative gpa : 3.209 with 44 credits
(I am taking 16 credits this semester and project my GPA Will increase to 3.3)

BIO 1: A-
BIO 2: B+
CHEM 1: C
CHEM 2: D (will be retaking this summer hopefully at Community College)
Psychology: A (projected grade for this semester)

I wanted to know if anyone has been in the same situation as I am currently and made it into a DPT program or have I messed up too much already

Members don't see this ad.

I originally had C’s in both BIOs and a D in physics 1 (poor first year before I knew I wanted to be in healthcare) and got into 5 schools. Gotta retake them.

Good thing is you recognize it early. You’re heading in the right direction.

I originally had C’s in both BIOs and a D in physics 1 (poor first year before I knew I wanted to be in healthcare) and got into 5 schools. Gotta retake them.

Good thing is you recognize it early. You’re heading in the right direction.
Thank you for the reply! I have talked to my undergrad advisor, he says im fine, and most of the PT programs I interested in take the highest grade. Also the most recent PT I have shadowed told me its nothing to lose sleep over. But the truth is I am losing sleep over it. I guess it has all kinda hit me that I might not be able to purse my dream career and my undergrad career is halfway over. I still have STAT, A&P 1&2, Physics 1&2, and possibly another Psychology course. I have spent the previous two years in a assocaites program through UD and have taken many low level courses. I am begining to worry I am running out of time and as bad as I have done in the Chem classes with a relativey low work load in other classes, I am beginning to worry that I will do poorly in the other prerequisites considering the fact I have many major level classes I will need to take. Do you recommend taking Physics and a CC? I think this will help me get done on time and allow me to focus on these couses over a summer or winter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply! I have talked to my undergrad advisor, he says im fine, and most of the PT programs I interested in take the highest grade. Also the most recent PT I have shadowed told me its nothing to lose sleep over. But the truth is I am losing sleep over it. I guess it has all kinda hit me that I might not be able to purse my dream career and my undergrad career is halfway over. I still have STAT, A&P 1&2, Physics 1&2, and possibly another Psychology course. I have spent the previous two years in a assocaites program through UD and have taken many low level courses. I am begining to worry I am running out of time and as bad as I have done in the Chem classes with a relativey low work load in other classes, I am beginning to worry that I will do poorly in the other prerequisites considering the fact I have many major level classes I will need to take. Do you recommend taking Physics and a CC? I think this will help me get done on time and allow me to focus on these couses over a summer or winter.

Honestly if you can put in the work for the pre-reqs that you have not taken such as getting A's in them, your cGPA should be over 3.5 easy. Both anatomy and physics classes are 4 credits each, 16 credits total, which is a lot. Those classes can make a big difference. In my opinion, any C's you have in your pre-reqs, I would retake them especially the science courses since they are weighed heavily for PT schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I am beginning to worry that I will do poorly in the other prerequisites considering the fact I have many major level classes I will need to take.
Do not set yourself up for failure by taking too heavy a course load. I don't recommend that you take more than 14 hours a semester if you are taking 2 science classes at the same time (with labs) as well as upper level courses. You can always do your re-takes at a community college in the summer for less $$.
You should take some time to plan out your courses from here until graduation with the goal of having all of your pre-requisites completed by the summer that you apply (and graduate the following May).
It is better to go slow and steady and get A's than to muck it up and have to re-take more courses.
You may discover that you will need an extra year to prepare to apply and that is okay. You want to be the best possible candidate, and that means acing your A&P, Physics and Stats classes and retaking Chem I and II.

Do not set yourself up for failure by taking too heavy a course load. I don't recommend that you take more than 14 hours a semester if you are taking 2 science classes at the same time (with labs) as well as upper level courses. You can always do your re-takes at a community college in the summer for less $$.
You should take some time to plan out your courses from here until graduation with the goal of having all of your pre-requisites completed by the summer that you apply (and graduate the following May).
It is better to go slow and steady and get A's than to muck it up and have to re-take more courses.
You may discover that you will need an extra year to prepare to apply and that is okay. You want to be the best possible candidate, and that means acing your A&P, Physics and Stats classes and retaking Chem I and II.
Thank you! I plan on taking physics 1 and retaking chem 2 this summer at community college. Physics 1 is a hybrid class at CC so no additional lab to class but it still equals 4 credits. The issue is the Chem class and physics class overlap each other for about a month. So I am worried it might get a little too overwhelming. I also plan on taking physics 2 next summer at the same CC. Basically I want to keep my class load down during the fall and spring and focus on A&P and other courses required by my major to boost my cGPA for UD

Thank you! I plan on taking physics 1 and retaking chem 2 this summer at community college. Physics 1 is a hybrid class at CC so no additional lab to class but it still equals 4 credits. The issue is the Chem class and physics class overlap each other for about a month. So I am worried it might get a little too overwhelming. I also plan on taking physics 2 next summer at the same CC. Basically I want to keep my class load down during the fall and spring and focus on A&P and other courses required by my major to boost my cGPA for UD

Be careful with hybrid classes at CC. They should have an in-person lab component. Schools will specify that and handicapping yourself to applying to schools that don't specify isn't the best strategy. Nothing would be worse than spending time and money on a class that doesn't help your situation. As others have stated above, go slower and focus on getting the best grades you possibly can.

From the sounds of it you are still working on the kinks of being a good student of science. And that's okay! So going slow and really taking advantage of these classes will benefit you in the long run. Take it slow :)

Reactions: 1 user
Don't lose sleep over it, but try not to get Cs and below anymore. Maybe consider taking 1 less class per semester to be able to keep your grades up if workload has been too much for you. In the long run, it will save your time and money of retaking classes and will look better for your GPA.

Hello all,
I am new to the forum. I am currently a sophomore at the University of Delaware planning to attend a DPT Program. Unfortunately I recieved not so great grades in Chem 1 & 2. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has had a similar experience as me and if anyone can offer and advice

Cumulative gpa : 3.209 with 44 credits
(I am taking 16 credits this semester and project my GPA Will increase to 3.3)

BIO 1: A-
BIO 2: B+
CHEM 1: C
CHEM 2: D (will be retaking this summer hopefully at Community College)
Psychology: A (projected grade for this semester)

I wanted to know if anyone has been in the same situation as I am currently and made it into a DPT program or have I messed up too much already
You seem to have the right mindset about the rest of your prerecs which is a good thing. I agree with previous people in stating that you shouldn't take more than 2 hard science courses each semester. I found that when I slowed down with things and took some stuff over the summer to space prerecs out, I got much better grades and understood the material better.
That being said, I did just get accepted into school with a C in Chem 1, and other grades similar to yours above. It's possible to have a C and get in, but make sure you have other areas on the application that will help compensate for the low grade.

I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as your grade trend is good. I had Cs in Chem 2, Physics 2, and 1 Bio class. I got in fairly easily, but my grade trend and GRE scores were well above average. I am starting my third semester in PT school and have a 3.9 gpa, so undergrad GPA isn't a clear indicator of how well you may or may not do in the future!

I think you will do fine!

I did not do well in my science courses my first 2 years of college. I had Cs in Bio I, Chem I and II, Organic Chem II, and Calc I and II. The good thing is that you still have a lot of semesters to get your grades up. I never retook any classes but I took courses during the winter and summer semesters to get my GPA up and completed some pre-reqs at my community college (highly recommend as PT schools accept these and it's a lot cheaper than taking them at a university).

I really focused on getting my GPA up my Junior and Senior year, I crammed as many credits as I could handle into the last 3 semesters and got As and Bs in all my classes so my GPA went back up. After taking 149 credits I ended up with a 3.378 at my university.

During my PT school interviews when asked to discuss my academic performance I acknowledged the bad grades but emphasized the upward trend of my grades/GPA and how my grades improved even as I was taking upper level courses. Even though my grades weren't the greatest I still got accepted to 3 schools, so there is definitely hope as long as you work hard!

Upward trend in GPA is key. Retakes should have better grades. It shows dedication and how bad you want it.

Research the programs you want to apply to. You should orient your coursework to match the requirements to as many program as possible. But you don't have to stress yourself out to meet the requirements for every single program. I took an online Physics II course w/ online lab because I knew I was taking multiple sciences that semester and had to sacrifice applying to 1 program to better my chances in other 5 programs. In the end, you are going to attend 1 program.