am I cut out for this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DB83

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a freshman Humanities major at my univ. and I've been considering changing my major to pre-med. I've always wanted to be a dr. But.....I 'm not sure if I'm good enough in the chemistry courses to make the cut. I've just completed my 1st sem. with a 3.5 GPA. I got a B in bio but it wasn't majors bio. What do you think? what GPA does a pre-med need? Thanks for your input.

Dana

Members don't see this ad.

P.S. does age matter for admissions? I just turned 17, so I'd be at least 1 yr. younger than most.

thanks

We've been through this sooooo many times. At most schools, there's no such thing as a "pre-med" major. What that term refers to, in my opinion, is anyone who is deciding to go into medicine. There are only a few prerequisite courses you have to take to enter medical school. You can major in whatever you like. If you like the humanities, pick something there. the most important thing to remember is that you should major in something that will give you as high a GPA as possible. In general a 3.5 is pretty competitive, although other aspects of your application are important as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
i second that opinion, if you are interested in a liberal arts program then stick with that and take the required pre-med courses- (bio, chem, orgo, physics)- if anything, a humanities major can help give your application something different than the majority- it seems to me that more and more med schools are looking favorably on majors outside the hard sciences. this coming, of course, from a bio major who has come to realize that seemingly half of all pre-meds are bio majors! anyway- i wouldn't be too concerned with your grades yet, i had below a 3.0 after my first semester and have been accepted into medical school, with quite a few others pending- you have plenty of time to bring em' up, though yours don't seem bad at all- besides, grades are only one thing! also remember extracurriculars, MCAT, all that- good luck-

bud

If you think chemistry is going to be hard for you, then wait'll you run into med school. You'll be peeing in your pants when gross, neuro, histo, micro, et al rolls around.

My advice: Put your fears behind you and go after it with gusto. If it happens, it happens, and if it doesn't, at least you know for sure it's not cut out for you. Don't let chemistry prevent you from finding this info out for yourself.