Am I disadvantaged? (Serious rant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disadvantgd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I forwarded my AADSAS to my parents because they are a fresh pair (or I guess two pairs) of eyes that can spot any glaring typos or inaccuracies on my application. I immediately get a spiel about how I should say that I am disadvantaged on my application because we are:

1) Immigrant families

2) Some kid in my middle school wrote gay epitaphs on my yearbook.

3) The HOA discriminates against our family and our two houses in Florida.

She said, "whether you like to admit it or not, people discriminate against immigrant families and our race, and there's no use burying your head in your sand."

There is simply no limit to the insanity of parents who force their children into a healthcare career.

Rant over.

Members don't see this ad.

I forwarded my AADSAS to my parents because they are a fresh pair (or I guess two pairs) of eyes that can spot any glaring typos or inaccuracies on my application. I immediately get a spiel about how I should say that I am disadvantaged on my application because we are:

1) Immigrant families

2) Some kid in my middle school wrote gay epitaphs on my yearbook.

3) The HOA discriminates against our family and our two houses in Florida.

She said, "whether you like to admit it or not, people discriminate against immigrant families and our race, and there's no use burying your head in your sand."

There is simply no limit to the insanity of parents who force their children into a healthcare career.

Rant over.
Using that logic, EVERY immigrant (including myself) who was harassed and bullied due to the language barrier is disadvantaged. The fact that they are saying all immigrants are disadvantaged is just factually incorrect. Also, number two is just downright awful but it doesn't label you as a disadvantaged. TLDR: just because you're an immigrant and were verbally bullied doesn't make you a disadvantaged student.

however I'm not sure about number 3. With respect to what I would consider to be disadvantaged, take a look at the following: "The "disadvantaged" is a generic term for individuals or groups of people who: Face special problems such as physical or mental disability. Lack money or economic support. Are politically deemed to be without sufficient power or other means of influence."

Reactions: 1 users
I am white but I wrote a paragraph about being disadvantaged. I grew up in a house with a dirt floor in rural Kansas that had no central heat or air hence was heated by firewood in the winter. My parent's combined income was 50 percent of the federal poverty level. Started working when I was 11 to cover expenses like my clothes. Dad was an alcoholic so I moved out when I was 16 and went to live with relatives and had a legal guardian when I graduated high school. Legal guardian died of cancer shortly after I graduated from college.

Some people will argue that I'm not really disadvantaged because I'm white. It's not a yes no dichotomy, there's a range here. I think mentioning that your family owned multiple properties will work against you even if you were discriminated against because of ethnicity. If you're not gay and harassment stopped in middle school then reconsider this because it was not recent. I was suspended in high school once for getting in a fight with a bully. The principal kicked her out because many people had problems with her being, well, a bully. That alone doesn't make me disadvantaged. It's subjective so I would stick to things a reasonable person would not consider frivolous

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is your rant over?

I also happen to come from an immigrant family but I never used it as leverage to gain an advantage over other applicants.

Cry harder, OP.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like the question is a little subjective...if you feel like you are disadvantaged you should definitely explain that.
I come from a low-medium income in Romania...at the standards of US I'd be extremely impoverished haha. I had a hard life but my parents were very good at financing and saving/spending so I think I got by fine. I don't consider myself disadvantaged because I know through hard work and being careful with you finances you can make it mostcases. Now this is my view...everyone's story is different so I'd encourage anyone to think about their own situation and what they consider disadvantaged or not

I asked my parents for clarification on why I should put a sentence about why I was disadvantaged. They said I should put at least a sentence about how I am disadvantaged to show an acute "awareness" of what's going on in society. It will reflect positively on my character--I am acutely attuned to the suffering and injustices in society. The question is intended to "paint" a picture of you in the adcom's eyes ... it's a deeper question meant to really evaluate whether you are aware of the injustices of American society. It also positively reflects on me and "sets me apart from other Asians, who are not so acutely aware of society's injustices."

I countered: if I (of all people) need to claim that I'm disadvantaged to get into dental school, perhaps dental school isn't right for me. You know, now that I think of it, I am disadvantaged ... I have a set of helicopter parents (as in, they're actually on SDN and ask questions that I've already asked). And this has caused a lot of mental anguish and has likely stunted my social development.

I don't know if I should die laughing or crying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
quick question though...did you make an account just to ask this haha?

Reactions: 2 users
I asked my parents for clarification on why I should put a sentence about why I was disadvantaged. They said I should put at least a sentence about how I am disadvantaged to show an acute "awareness" of what's going on in society. It will reflect positively on my character--I am acutely attuned to the suffering and injustices in society. The question is intended to "paint" a picture of you in the adcom's eyes ... it's a deeper question meant to really evaluate whether you are aware of the injustices of American society. It also positively reflects on me and "sets me apart from other Asians, who are not so acutely aware of society's injustices."

I countered: if I (of all people) need to claim that I'm disadvantaged to get into dental school, perhaps dental school isn't right for me. You know, now that I think of it, I am disadvantaged ... I have a set of helicopter parents (as in, they're actually on SDN and ask questions that I've already asked). And this has caused a lot of mental anguish and has likely stunted my social development.

Given these responses, wouldn't just forwarding them a fake application/PS "claiming" that you're a URM save you a lot more time? You wouldn't have to argue with them anymore, all you'd have to do is just submit your original application and have them look over the parts that you really need a set of fresh eyes to look over. I don't think they're going to know whether you took it out or not-- although some think lying to their parents is a different ethical issue altogether, it's what I've had to do in some cases to deal with helicopter parenting.

Black, and an Immigrant. I did not list anything about these in my application or letters. Get in based on your app and accomplishments, don't let someone else tell you you're disadvantaged.

Reactions: 5 users
I am white but I wrote a paragraph about being disadvantaged. I grew up in a house with a dirt floor in rural Kansas that had no central heat or air hence was heated by firewood in the winter. My parent's combined income was 50 percent of the federal poverty level. Started working when I was 11 to cover expenses like my clothes. Dad was an alcoholic so I moved out when I was 16 and went to live with relatives and had a legal guardian when I graduated high school. Legal guardian died of cancer shortly after I graduated from college.
This is disadvantaged. "White Privilege" is a serious bunch of horse ****.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 4 users
Given these responses, wouldn't just forwarding them a fake application/PS "claiming" that you're a URM save you a lot more time? You wouldn't have to argue with them anymore, all you'd have to do is just submit your original application and have them look over the parts that you really need a set of fresh eyes to look over. I don't think they're going to know whether you took it out or not-- although some think lying to their parents is a different ethical issue altogether, it's what I've had to do in some cases to deal with helicopter parenting.

Lol no worries, I'm not going to claim I'm disadvantaged on the application for fear of getting laughed out the interview room. I posted this because it was a pretty morbidly funny spin on a question that most people shouldn't have too much difficulty answering.

Lol no worries, I'm not going to claim I'm disadvantaged on the application for fear of getting laughed out the interview room. I posted this because it was a pretty morbidly funny spin on a question that most people shouldn't have too much difficulty answering.

Gotcha, my mistake. I kinda misinterpreted the title as a rant/"what can I do considering how stupid this is" type of situation. Good luck this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
uh don't apply to your state school

You're not disadvantaged. Don't put yourself in a situation where the adcoms will think you are trying to get disadvantaged status in order to gain an unfair advantage in admissions. It'll hurt you more than help you. The last thing you want to do is have the adcoms question your character.

Middle school sucks for everyone. And the sooner you set that boundary with mom and dad, the better it will be for you.

What stands out to me... "HOA...two houses..." and "disadvantaged"... don't really go together... that's none of my business though. Good luck deciding what to do!

Are you Hispanic or African American -> YES
Are you NOT Hispanic or African American -> NO

You could always threaten to scrap your application if they don't stop meddling. Tell them that you are having second thoughts about going into medicine and that their interference is making you worry that you will be trapped in a profession that you will hate, but will have to continue due to the steep student loans you will be incurring for your education.

This is disadvantaged. "White Privilege" is a serious bunch of horse ****.

Big Hoss
My husband is Mexican (first generation American) and spent three years in a homeless shelter with his mom after she left his abusive father. We've compared childhood notes and trust me being a minority definitely has some disadvantages, all other things being equal. He is a veteran and spent 15 years in the finance industry, and a few years ago a cop actually asked him what kind of drugs he was selling to be able afford the car he was driving (my husband was wearing a polo and pair of khakis). My white/asian friends don't really have stories like this.

My husband is Mexican (first generation American) and spent three years in a homeless shelter with his mom after she left his abusive father. We've compared childhood notes and trust me being a minority definitely has some disadvantages, all other things being equal. He is a veteran and spent 15 years in the finance industry, and a few years ago a cop actually asked him what kind of drugs he was selling to be able afford the car he was driving (my husband was wearing a polo and pair of khakis). My white/asian friends don't really have stories like this.
I'm a white male, but I've been shot by paintball and BB guns, had mud thrown on me, and been denied housing because of my religious beliefs. I even had someone tell me they were going to kill me. What did I tell him? Go get your gun.

Everyone is going to face challenges in this life. Blindly assuming someone is disproportionately challenged simply based on race is asinine. You should have seen my friend in college pimp his URM status when applying to medical school. His dad was a surgeon and bought him anything and everything. He was as privileged as they come and had never known a day of work in his life. And to think he was getting preferred treatment by adcoms over my other friend whose father lost everything and never recovered when his business failed and whose mom was an uncontrolled schizophrenic, but hey, he was white.

Like I said, we all are going to face trials in this mortal life - some will have harder battles to fight. Cowboy up!

Big Hoss

I'm a white male, but I've been shot by paintball and BB guns, had mud thrown on me, and been denied housing because of my religious beliefs. I even had someone tell me they were going to kill me. What did I tell him? Go get your gun.

Everyone is going to face challenges in this life. Blindly assuming someone is disproportionately challenged simply based on race is asinine. You should have seen my friend in college pimp his URM status when applying to medical school. His dad was a surgeon and bought him anything and everything. He was as privileged as they come and had never known a day of work in his life. And to think he was getting preferred treatment by adcoms over my other friend whose father lost everything and never recovered when his business failed and whose mom was an uncontrolled schizophrenic, but hey, he was white.

Like I said, we all are going to face trials in this mortal life - some will have harder battles to fight. Cowboy up!

Big Hoss
That sucks haha. Totally not fair!

I feel some of the comments here are uncalled for. I now it's sarcastic, but you don't need SDN approval to claim you are a disadvantaged or not.

You compare yourself to others, and if you feel in many ways you are way disadvantaged than them, then you are.
Now it's up to you to claim that status or not.
and It's up to schools to decide you are worth it or not.