Am I doing enough my first semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wiesal

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm overthinking my first semester, but I feel compelled to ask how I'm doing.

I'm taking:
  • Introduction to Chemistry
  • Introduction to Psychology
  • Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry
  • English Composition I
This will be 14 credits.

I'm also working part time (8 works a week) as a medical assistant at a dermatology clinic (direct patient contact and scribing) and volunteering at a pediatric hospital where I play board games with the patient and provide entertainment (3 hours a week). I plan on shadowing a physician in some other specialties besides dermatology.

Is this competitive so far? Is there anything I can do to improve?

Members don't see this ad.

What you're doing looks great. You have your basic classes, work, and volunteering, now just make sure to enjoy your first year of college! Look into shadowing and maybe research later on, and you should be good to go :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, just wanted some reassurance :)
I took 12 credits most semesters...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think I'll actually take less credits when I pursue time-intensive research/studying for the MCAT. Anyways, my math class actually counts as 5 credits instead of 3 since it's pre-calculus and trigonometry together.

The course rigor thing is overblown. What you're taking will be just fine as far as rigor, especially for a freshman. You are already getting involved in some ECs and that's good too. Have fun in college because it goes by quickly. I would also look at when you want to take the MCAT or if you're going to take a gap year. You definitely made the right move in taking Chem 1 right away, because Chem 1 through Biochem is a 5 semester track at many schools. But decide when you're going to take Biology and Physics and if you want to avoid having to take three sciences plus labs in one term.

I think you're doing great! Enjoy your first year, then maybe think about adding some more shadowing and non-clinical volunteering to the mix. Also maybe some research if you're interested/thinking MD-PhD/want to be competitive for top 20's.

I think you're doing fine. Make sure you do well in your classes.

Your doing great provided you are doing well in your classes. Might want to start on some research and voluenteering with those less fortunate than you...

If you want to graduate on time then you'll need to up your hours slightly...usually you need 15/semester to graduate in time and avoid summer classes. Personally I hate taking summer classes...you need some time to de stress during undergrad

I think you are trying to do tooooo much as a first semester freshman. Study and do well in your classes. A little volunteering or working is fine. But college is different than high school and requires more work for those good grades (hopefully mostly A's). Don't spread yourself too thin with shadowing and research just yet. That can wait for now.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

The course rigor thing is overblown. What you're taking will be just fine as far as rigor, especially for a freshman. You are already getting involved in some ECs and that's good too. Have fun in college because it goes by quickly. I would also look at when you want to take the MCAT or if you're going to take a gap year. You definitely made the right move in taking Chem 1 right away, because Chem 1 through Biochem is a 5 semester track at many schools. But decide when you're going to take Biology and Physics and if you want to avoid having to take three sciences plus labs in one term.
Unfortunately, I'm not taking Chem 1. Since I never took chemistry in high school, it was recommended that I take introduction to chemistry instead designed for students with a lack of prior experience in the subject.

I think you're doing great! Enjoy your first year, then maybe think about adding some more shadowing and non-clinical volunteering to the mix. Also maybe some research if you're interested/thinking MD-PhD/want to be competitive for top 20's.
Definitely! Would starting during my sophomore year be good?

Definitely! Would starting during my sophomore year be good?
I think that would be fine! You could even start some of that stuff second semester freshman year if you're feeling particularly ambitious, but make sure your grades are good first. You'll have plenty of time to build your extracurricular resume, but early academic issues are hard to overcome later.