Am I doing something wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyboi1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am first year medical student, its my second semester, A lot of people in my medical school, study non stop, they are in the library every day, and its kinda boring hanging out with them. I made friends with a lot of them, but as the semester went on they became to clingy with each other, and I kinda faded in the background, and now I have my own non-medical school friends I have made. I don't study nearly as much as the other kids, Ill study like 2-3 hours a day sometimes skipping, and don't go lectures (they aren't mandatory), and a week before Ill study 6-10 a day, and I am getting above average scores. The averages are a 78-80 on most tests, and I score 88-90 on most. I have a feeling a lot of people in medical school think I am dumb or something, like a lot of them were surprised I got into honors thing at my school, and lot of people didn't get into, and I was one of few people in our class. They have stopped inviting me to things, and I don't really care to be honest. I have my own friends, I go out usually every weekend, and I am just bored of the whole medical school people! I love what I am study, and can recall facts really well, and have a good memory. I don't struggle at all, and I get everything. Should i be doing something more? I feel as if medical school is easier than undergrad. I have started studying for the boards a little, but I was wondering, if some people are like me in medical school, and think its not that hard??

Members don't see this ad.

I am first year medical student, its my second semester, A lot of people in my medical school, study non stop, they are in the library every day, and its kinda boring hanging out with them. I made friends with a lot of them, but as the semester went on they became to clingy with each other, and I kinda faded in the background, and now I have my own non-medical school friends I have made. I don't study nearly as much as the other kids, Ill study like 2-3 hours a day sometimes skipping, and don't go lectures (they aren't mandatory), and a week before Ill study 6-10 a day, and I am getting above average scores. The averages are a 78-80 on most tests, and I score 88-90 on most. I have a feeling a lot of people in medical school think I am dumb or something, like a lot of them were surprised I got into honors thing at my school, and lot of people didn't get into, and I was one of few people in our class. They have stopped inviting me to things, and I don't really care to be honest. I have my own friends, I go out usually every weekend, and I am just bored of the whole medical school people! I love what I am study, and can recall facts really well, and have a good memory. I don't struggle at all, and I get everything. Should i be doing something more? I feel as if medical school is easier than undergrad. I have started studying for the boards a little, but I was wondering, if some people are like me in medical school, and think its not that hard??
You're definitely a minority. But nothing's wrong with that or you. If you're doing well in school and finding a healthy balance in life with non-med school friends, good on you. Enjoy it!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also performing very well and a lot better than I did in undergrad, but I think there's a couple of reasons that's the case.

1. I'm grateful for a second chance to start over and prove what I'm capable of.
2. I feel that the sheer amount of information that is constantly thrown at me makes me fear that I will fail if I don't study more than just the weekend before the exam.
3. I suppose I'm more mature than I was in undergrad and the fact that everything I am learning in school pertains to my career it kind of motivates me to learn more than I wanted to when I was learning stuff like physics.

With that said, its most definitely not easier than undergrad. If I only spent about 12 hours a day for the 3 days prior to an exam, I'm pretty sure I could have aced all my undergrad classes. If that was all the time I spent studying for an exam in med school then I'd probably be barely passing.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Medical school isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Likewise first year medical school is pretty manageable. I used to commonly finish a season of a tv show per class and still do well. Second year is a whole level of difficulty higher and isn't as easy.

Also don't talk to people about your grades. No one wants to feel like they're inferior.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't be so neurotic, if you're doing well just keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about what others think

Reactions: 1 user
Dang you must be really smart. Barely needing to study in med school and rocking the dumb people who actually have to study. They must have stopped inviting you to things cause you're so smart and they're intimidated by your superior intelligence.

Reactions: 4 users
Medical school isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Likewise first year medical school is pretty manageable. I used to commonly finish a season of a tv show per class and still do well. Second year is a whole level of difficulty higher and isn't as easy.

Also don't talk to people about your grades. No one wants to feel like they're inferior.

I never talk about my grades ever, they bring it up.

Just do your thing but don't second guess that thing (or let butthurt comments get under your skin). A lot of medical students are wound a bit too tight, talk mostly about medical school, eat, breath, sleep, poop med school and really need to find more balance in their lives. I was non-trad student and luckily, I had a wife and a baby boy to go home to and was able to compartmentalize medical school. (I'm of the opinion that everyone should compartmentalize, but whatever). I treated school like it was a job and when my work was finished, I metaphorically closed that drawer for the day and lived my life outside of medicine. I still do that as a resident. And I plan on continuing to do so as an attending. So far, so good.

FWIW, I have to agree with @Drrrrrr. Celty above. Year 2 is a bit of biatch. You may need to dig a bit deeper. I would at least use the extra time prepping for the USMLE.

Medical school difficulty is more a factor of volume over difficulty. You seem to be doing well so far and as long as you can keep on top of your work you have nothing to worry about. Have you considered your future specialty? If you have interest in something competitive using some of your free time for research or volunteering may be wise.

Medical students are a hypercompetitive group and can be difficult to be around. I have no "real" medical school friends myself --just a lot of aquentences. I found maintaining friendships with my pre med school friends has been good for my sanity. That said do NOT tell your exact grades. When people ask they are either trying to reassure themselves (you will make them feel bad) or brag. Also do not talk about how little you study and how easy it is. It is unbecoming.

I will advise caution in stating medical school is not hard as a first year. Second year is more challenging. Third year is a completely different game and in fourth year the subinternship and ICU months can be a challenge. Especially for those of us who had awful DO clinical rotations.

This used to drive me crazy. I had a few people volunteer their grades on X Exam and then wait for me to tell them what I got. I did well and it was usually better than them and it created an embarrassing situation because I don't want to make them feel bad...but they shouldn't have asked if they werent ready for the reply.

You're doing nothing wrong , except perhaps thinking that you need to be more popular. It's not high school anymore. You do you, and thrive. And have more faith in yourself too.