Am I doomed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoodtc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing my freshman year and it looks like I'm going to make B's I'm both gen chem II and gen bio II. Should I be worried?

Bio I - A+
Bio II - B
Chem I - A
Chem II - B
Algebra - A-
Precal - A
Gen psychology - A
Eng - A-
Spanish - A-

cGPA = 3.66
BCPM = 3.61

I'm not sure if it's my gpa dropping from ~3.9 to 3.66 but I'm stressing.

Members don't see this ad.

If its just to get into MD, you're fine.

Now, if your goal is something like T15 school, then maybe rethink your study strategy and try studying harder in the future, but you aren't doomed at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no, you're not gonna get in with those grades. Retake.

ayaotd_doomed.gif

Reactions: 1 user
You are doooomed

Really though you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 2 users
Seems like you have the potential to do better. Step it up nex semester and aim high.

I'm finishing my freshman year and it looks like I'm going to make B's I'm both gen chem II and gen bio II. Should I be worried?

Yes, be very worried. I'd start looking at Carribean schools if you're determined to go the MD route. A friend of a friend of a friend had a B in Chem 2 and Bio 2, 2,000 hours of clinical experience, 38 MCAT and 3 1st author publications and got no love from US MD programs.

In all seriousness, don't stress the 2 Bs. Finish with a strong GPA and don't let this keep you awake at night.

A- in algebra? (Also – They have algebra in college?)

Go DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually was considering retaking the bio...I assumed by first B would be in orgo but I guess that's what I get. It just pisses me off that my avg in both is hovering around 88 and I can't get it up. Edit: I was top of the class in both bio I and chem I so I wasn't expecting 2 B's the following semester.

I took the ACT early sophomore year and scored sufficiently so I didn't retake and my math section was sub-par, hints the placement into college alg. Admin. wouldn't let me circumvent it as a prereq for precal though I tried. I'm transferring next semester to a more rigorous school in TX, and as imagined they don't have college alg and are counting it as an elective.

Bio I - A+
Bio II - B
Chem I - A
Chem II - B
Algebra - A-
Precal - A
Gen psychology - A
Eng - A-
Spanish - A-

cGPA = 3.66
BCPM = 3.61

I had a 2.91 GPA after my sophomore year of college.

I graduated medical school second in my class and matched at my #1 choice Derm residency.

So yes, you're f*cked. Game over.

Reactions: 9 users
you're beyond fine, chill. If you're doomed like only 10% of the people who apply to medical school aren't doomed.

Bio I - A+
Bio II - B
Chem I - A
Chem II - B
Algebra - A-
Precal - A
Gen psychology - A
Eng - A-
Spanish - A-

cGPA = 3.66
BCPM = 3.61

I know this admissions consultant who can probably get you into Harvard and other medical schools if you pay her 4 grand. That's right, I went there. Come and get me:shifty:

In all seriousness, relax you're fine.

Bio I - A+
Bio II - B
Chem I - A
Chem II - B
Algebra - A-
Precal - A
Gen psychology - A
Eng - A-
Spanish - A-

cGPA = 3.66
BCPM = 3.61

bear-grylls-meme-generator-under-a-3-8-in-college-better-drink-my-own-piss-3c50aa.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
@moop Why does nobody get your sarcasm, bro?
Oh no, I actually meant the question about algebra because I've never heard of a college offering algebra or precalculus… Aren't those high school subjects? Ok maybe precalc, but algebra? Unless it's a CC, that's kinda ridiculous..

Oh no, I actually meant the question about algebra because I've never heard of a college offering algebra or precalculus… Aren't those high school subjects? Ok maybe precalc, but algebra? Unless it's a CC, that's kinda ridiculous..

It's not a CC but yes, I agree.

Some people gotta start somewhere

Algebra is the minimum math requirement for most degrees at my UG. It's called"College Algebra". All "science" majors take pre-calc or calculus I+.

I went 6 years without taking a math course, taking college algebra was both necessary and helpful.

I went 6 years without taking a math course, taking college algebra was both necessary and helpful.
Okay I guess for nontrads and part-timers it makes clear sense. I was thinking more of traditional students who should've had algebra in 9th or 10th grade.

Is it just like Algebra I topics? Solving quadratic equations, factoring polynomial expressions?

I misinterpreted. WilburCobb was agreeing with you. nevermind

So is an A+ worth more than 4.0? You said your school has A-, A, A+

Bio I - A+
Bio II - B
Chem I - A
Chem II - B
Algebra - A-
Precal - A
Gen psychology - A
Eng - A-
Spanish - A-

cGPA = 3.66
BCPM = 3.61

What switch in your head turned on

A reality check (i.e., the recognition that I was in hole and needed to stop digging) along with simple math. I realized that when I took the weight of my freshman year’s courses ending with slightly above a 3.1 GPA, I needed to do well in pretty much every future course if I was to have a chance. I also recognized that factoring in the next two years of courses was probably not going to be enough to move my GPA to a competitive level. I also realized that I may not ace every course in the upcoming two years, so I planned not to apply to med school after my third year of college, but wait until I completed four years of college, thereby gaining the full weight of three years of college courses to add and hopefully elevate my GPA to a
competitive level. I’m not saying Harvard level, any med school level. It didn’t hurt that I did well on MCAT. I am currently a resident at an MD program.

I misinterpreted. WilburCobb was agreeing with you. nevermind

Nah, I was picking an argument in semantics and being an ass (thought about deleting but it got quoted so whatever). I understand what @moop was getting at but was just picking at the fact that there are advanced algebra topics that are covered at the undergrad/grad level (a friend of mine's fiancé is just finishing her PhD in mathematics and her dissertation is on some weird algebraic theory). As to what moop was referring to though there are actually a lot of schools that "college algebra" and I have mixed feelings about it. My undergrad had a ton of remedial courses but is now getting rid of them due to some new legislation by our university system. Honestly I think these classes are there as way for the schools to generate money. Case and point, me. I took Calc I and II as a high school senior and got Bs in both. But because my ACT score was awful (I didn't really try and fell asleep all three times I took it) and didn't pay to get college credit for my calc courses I had to take a math placement test when registering for classes. The test was 20 questions and covered basic algebra I and II and some trig/pre-calc. When the results came back I was told I had register for pre-algebra. I was pretty pissed and raised hell with the math department. Apparently I only got one question wrong but they checked the work on every so many tests (I was one) and according to them they couldn't follow my work and how I came to my answers so they made my test invalid and wouldn't let me retake. Also, the cutoff for being place in a college level math course was 2 wrong. So, any who, I was forced to take two remedial math courses that covered material I learned in 8th and 9th grade, I didn't get credit for, and I had to pay an extra $350 per class. I pretty much only showed-up for tests, never did practice problems and got As in both. Honestly a scam in my opinion. So yeah.
/rant.

I think he just wants to show off his stats. It's an undercover pissing contest to make himself feel better with the "don't worry" comments he knew he will get.. if not then I....

92c2ec83007bb7030e4335103a77ec82ce77d4e521f3145d7f9e858d7cc9eda2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I think he just wants to show off his stats. It's an undercover pissing contest to make himself feel better with the "don't worry" comments he knew he will get.. if not then I....

Your status is awesome. I ate a big june bug on the way down so I'm not really hungry.

92c2ec83007bb7030e4335103a77ec82ce77d4e521f3145d7f9e858d7cc9eda2.jpg
loll with dat A- in algebra, it wouldn't be much to "show off." If that were the intention, that misinformed to a whole other level.

Your status is awesome. I ate a big june bug on the way down so I'm not really hungry.
There is no quote from that movie that doesn't make me laugh

I was top of the class in both bio I and chem I so I wasn't expecting 2 B's the following semester.

Good time to learn this lesson. It's easy to get comfortable after you ace a few exams and build up a nice cushion (ie. I could score an 80 on this final and still get an A so I'm not going to study). That's fine, but you have to remember that those grades don't carry over, and you're starting from square 1 again the following semester. Nobody cares if you were #1 in class last semester - you still have to earn that spot all over again from scratch each semester.

It's important to come out of the gate guns blazing and score well on your first few assignments/assessments in any given class. Once you get a feel for how the teacher operates and what s/he expects of the class, you can scale back your effort as necessary.