Am I "educationally disadvantaged"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I moved to the USA from Russia when I was 8 years old, with my mom. My mom got a masters degree from a Russian university, but she never graduated from any US university, and she never translated her degree to make it "legal" in the US. My real dad is still in Russia and my mom divorced him when I was 2. My step dad took college classes while he was in military but never graduated with a bachelors degree.

Am I considered educationally disadvantaged? My mom didn't graduate with a degree from a US university....
I am particularly looking into University of Washington School of medicine's statement for out of state applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

I moved to the USA from Russia when I was 8 years old, with my mom. My mom got a masters degree from a Russian university, but she never graduated from any US university, and she never translated her degree to make it "legal" in the US. My real dad is still in Russia and my mom divorced him when I was 2. My step dad took college classes while he was in military but never graduated with a bachelors degree.

Am I considered educationally disadvantaged? My mom didn't graduate with a degree from a US university....
I am particularly looking into University of Washington School of medicine's statement for out of state applicants.

You might have a valid case if you ended up actually being your own mother or your own father in a Back to the Future-esque type situation.

You might have a valid case if you ended up actually being your own mother or your own father in a Back to the Future-esque type situation.

I don't get it...

Members don't see this ad :)

what's her profession in the country

Your post is all about your parents' education. Nothing about yours. That's what the "Back to the Future" post is about.

Did you go to bad school system when you came to the US? Were you academically unprepared for college? That could make you educationally disadvantaged. Your parents' education level doesn't play into YOUR education status.

I just want to get into UW and just wondering if I qualify for review there as an OOS

I think you're grasping at straws at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Isn't disadvantaged status determined primarily by parental education level and their income?

I just want to get into UW and just wondering if I qualify for review there as an OOS

You need to accept the fact that you getting in there might not happen. You need to find more schools that might satisfy what you want and you might have to go somewhere else, it happens to the best of us. (I'm just lucky that PA has SOOO MANY med schools). But seriously, be somewhat realistic.

Isn't disadvantaged status determined primarily by parental education level and their income?
At certain extent, yes.
Your post is all about your parents' education. Nothing about yours. That's what the "Back to the Future" post is about.

Did you go to bad school system when you came to the US? Were you academically unprepared for college? That could make you educationally disadvantaged. Your parents' education level doesn't play into YOUR education status.
Unfortunately as it is, Ismet, I have to correct you in this one. Parents' education is a very important component at the time of considering someone "educationally disadvantaged."

Cheers, girl

At certain extent, yes.

Unfortunately as it is, Ismet, I have to correct you in this one. Parents' education is a very important component at the time of considering someone "educationally disadvantaged."

Cheers, girl

I can see where being a first generation college student could be considered educationally disadvantaged, but that is not OP's case. It doesn't matter if his mother's degree was never "translated" to the US, he would report that she has a masters degree from a foreign institution.

Unless OP provides more info, I don't seen any evidence for him being disadvantaged.

I can see where being a first generation college student could be considered educationally disadvantaged, but that is not OP's case. It doesn't matter if his mother's degree was never "translated" to the US, he would report that she has a masters degree from a foreign institution.

Unless OP provides more info, I don't seen any evidence for him being disadvantaged.
It has nothing to do with being a first generation college student.

Streampaw, before you get confused... you are legally allowed to choose "some college" for the amcas portion of your mother's education. The rules in place determine the value of her degree as nonexistent in the american system while acknowledging her previous foreign education.

Now... assimilation, cultural shock, formulation dependency, language barrier and response ability in the academic setting, skill interdependence, and lack of parental support due to being in a system unknown to your mother suggest that you have been at a disadvantage.

Good luck.

Wow what? If they feel disadvantaged then maybe they should write it. If they don't, and just want the leg up, then they should not as it is unethical.

gypsy wow

much deduction​

such wisdom​

very investigating​

future medical doctor

Reactions: 1 user
It has nothing to do with being a first generation college student.

Uh, it actually is one of the factors that determines disadvantage. AMCAS asks this.

Now... assimilation, cultural shock, formulation dependency, language barrier and response ability in the academic setting, skill interdependence, and lack of parental support due to being in a system unknown to your mother suggest that you have been at a disadvantage.

These are all assumptions on your part, although the reasons are justified. I'm just going off of the reasons OP gave in his post. And based off of his past posts, it seems like he's grasping at straws or trying to pad his app just so that he can appeal to UW.

OP, bottom line is that if you don't feel like you were disadvantaged academically, don't try to game the system just to get into one school. You'll have to explain your disadvantage in an essay (perhaps several, if secondaries ask) so make sure your reasons are legitimate.

On AMCAS, being a first generation college student is enough to qualify as being the lowest possible metric of socioeconomic disadvantage. So basically Lebron James's kids will qualify as SES disadvantaged should they decide to apply to medical school in twenty years.

On AMCAS, being a first generation college student is enough to qualify as being the lowest possible metric of socioeconomic disadvantage. So basically Lebron James's kids will qualify as SES disadvantaged should they decide to apply to medical school in twenty years.

won't amcas also take into account parents income in determining SES? being first gen. college student doesn't necessarily mean one is disadvantaged.
For example, one of my friends who was the first person in her family to graduate from a 4 year college; her family is working class and she went to one of the worst high schools in her region. She went to a very good college where most of the other students were upper middle class and were well prepared in high school. She struggled the first year in college adjusting because she was not adequately prepared and on top of that she had to work 30+ hours a week. It's a no brainer someone with a situation like that is disadvantaged.
Contrast that with a guy I know whose dad, never went to college, is a successful businessman completely self-made. His parents are millionaires and neither went to college. He went to one of the best high schools. He's a first gen college student but IMO should not be considered disadvantaged due to the advantages his family's wealth has provided him

won't amcas also take into account parents income in determining SES? being first gen. college student doesn't necessarily mean one is disadvantaged.
For example, one of my friends who was the first person in her family to graduate from a 4 year college; her family is working class and she went to one of the worst high schools in her region. She went to a very good college where most of the other students were upper middle class and were well prepared in high school. She struggled the first year in college adjusting because she was not adequately prepared and on top of that she had to work 30+ hours a week. It's a no brainer someone with a situation like that is disadvantaged.
Contrast that with a guy I know whose dad, never went to college, is a successful businessman completely self-made. His parents are millionaires and neither went to college. He went to one of the best high schools. He's a first gen college student but IMO should not be considered disadvantaged due to the advantages his family's wealth has provided him

Beginning with this current application cycle, AMCAS automatically sets socioeconomic status to SES-0 (lowest SES classification) for anyone who is a first-gen college student. Both people you mentioned would be classified as SES-0. It would be up to the girl to find ways to mention the rest of her circumstances elsewhere in her application. I agree that this in unfair.

Wow never knew there was such thing called ''disadvantaged".

I am applying to FlexMed and am wondering about the same question. Both my parents only have high school diplomas and I spent my elementary school years in a school that had 80% free lunch participation. It seems like I meet the definition, but it didn't stop me from getting into college.