"Disadvantaged" Essay and Caretaker Status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oolongcutea

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm hoping you all have input on my situation, as I seem to check some boxes (but definitely not others) according to AAMC's updated guidance for the 2024 application cycle regarding "disadvantaged" status. The "example experiences" listed in the document include "serving as a caretaker for a family member," but I haven't met or heard of anyone else in circumstances similar to mine, so I was hoping for some feedback, given the following facts:

My mother was diagnosed with early-onset Parkinson's when I was four, and beginning at age eight, I took on progressively greater responsibility for her care as her condition deteriorated. By the time I was in middle school, I was dressing, bathing, and feeding her, in addition to helping her move around the house and helping in the bathroom. Because my father was the breadwinner for the family (and needed an income high enough to keep up with the costs of my mother's medical care), he took to working more hours to cover shortfalls. By the time I was in high school, I was making meals for the family, cleaning the house, and buying groceries and other necessities in addition to my previous responsibilities (dressing, bathing, feeding, etc.). I estimate that I worked the equivalent of a full-time job caring for my mother between 7th and 12th grade (40+ hours/week). HOWEVER...

My dad is currently a product manager at a large tech company, and makes very decent money. He has a Master's degree. My mother has a PhD, but she stopped working when I was five as a result of her illness. She gets a disability cheque each month. We are solidly middle class, and I went to a private 5-12 school on a partial scholarship. I go to a well-regarded private university on a full-tuition scholarship, but I do pay for living expenses, and my dad helps by paying for housing. YET...

The time commitment of being a primary caretaker meant that educational and extracurricular options that were available to other students of a similar SES were not available to me. I didn't have access to private tutors or counselors because I was the primary caretaker for my mom while my dad worked. These circumstances have continued into college, though to a lesser degree. When I got to college, It felt like I had to work twice as hard to make up for not being able to take advantage of the opportunities someone of my SES would normally have access to when I was younger, despite the privilege I do possess. This circumstance in addition to an extended health issue has resulted in a spotty transcript during my first two years of college. It also means I'll have to take an extra year and a half to finish my degree (I needed to go part-time for multiple semesters).

My question is simple: Should I check the "disadvantaged" box? Do I qualify?

Edit: For context, I just wanted to add that my academic performance and extracurricular involvement in college improved drastically the semester after my mother underwent DBS surgery for her Parkinson's, which allowed her to be much more mobile (relatively speaking).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The "Other Impactful Experiences" essay, which is replacing the "Disadvantaged" essay, is likely the place to address this:

@Mr.Smile12, @LizzyM, @Goro?
Even in the "Other Impactful Experiences" essay, would this be a legitimate set of facts to present, despite my lack of significant economic hardship? More saliently, should I check the box (if it's still there) indicating "disadvantaged status"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Even in the "Other Impactful Experiences" essay, would this be a legitimate set of facts to present, despite my lack of significant economic hardship? More saliently, should I check the box (if it's still there) indicating "disadvantaged status"?
It's not all about your financial difficulties. Just make sure you can stay within the character limit.

Read the article. Watch

Reactions: 1 user
It's not all about your financial difficulties. Just make sure you can stay within the character limit.

Read the article. Watch

Thank you both for your advice! I will be writing about these experiences in the OIE essay. One question does still remain, though -- should I check the box (if it's still there) indicating "disadvantaged status"? From reading previous threads on the topic, it seems like @LizzyM and @Goro defined disadvantaged status as almost exclusively dependent on finances, so I wanted to make sure I'm not overstepping the bounds of the definition.

Thank you both for your advice! I will be writing about these experiences in the OIE essay. One question does still remain, though -- should I check the box (if it's still there) indicating "disadvantaged status"? From reading previous threads on the topic, it seems like @LizzyM and @Goro defined disadvantaged status as almost exclusively dependent on finances, so I wanted to make sure I'm not overstepping the bounds of the definition.

IIRC the OIE essay replaces the “disadvantaged box”.

The "Other Impactful Experiences" essay, which is replacing the "Disadvantaged" essay, is likely the place to address this:

@Mr.Smile12, @LizzyM, @Goro?
I agree. It also depends upon the prompt. It may fall under a "challenge and how you dealt with it" prompt.

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping you all have input on my situation, as I seem to check some boxes (but definitely not others) according to AAMC's updated guidance for the 2024 application cycle regarding "disadvantaged" status. The "example experiences" listed in the document include "serving as a caretaker for a family member," but I haven't met or heard of anyone else in circumstances similar to mine, so I was hoping for some feedback, given the following facts:

My mother was diagnosed with early-onset Parkinson's when I was four, and beginning at age eight, I took on progressively greater responsibility for her care as her condition deteriorated. By the time I was in middle school, I was dressing, bathing, and feeding her, in addition to helping her move around the house and helping in the bathroom. Because my father was the breadwinner for the family (and needed an income high enough to keep up with the costs of my mother's medical care), he took to working more hours to cover shortfalls. By the time I was in high school, I was making meals for the family, cleaning the house, and buying groceries and other necessities in addition to my previous responsibilities (dressing, bathing, feeding, etc.). I estimate that I worked the equivalent of a full-time job caring for my mother between 7th and 12th grade (40+ hours/week). HOWEVER...

My dad is currently a product manager at a large tech company, and makes very decent money. He has a Master's degree. My mother has a PhD, but she stopped working when I was five as a result of her illness. She gets a disability cheque each month. We are solidly middle class, and I went to a private 5-12 school on a partial scholarship. I go to a well-regarded private university on a full-tuition scholarship, but I do pay for living expenses, and my dad helps by paying for housing. YET...

The time commitment of being a primary caretaker meant that educational and extracurricular options that were available to other students of a similar SES were not available to me. I didn't have access to private tutors or counselors because I was the primary caretaker for my mom while my dad worked. These circumstances have continued into college, though to a lesser degree. When I got to college, It felt like I had to work twice as hard to make up for not being able to take advantage of the opportunities someone of my SES would normally have access to when I was younger, despite the privilege I do possess. This circumstance in addition to an extended health issue has resulted in a spotty transcript during my first two years of college. It also means I'll have to take an extra year and a half to finish my degree (I needed to go part-time for multiple semesters).

My question is simple: Should I check the "disadvantaged" box? Do I qualify?

Edit: For context, I just wanted to add that my academic performance and extracurricular involvement in college improved drastically the semester after my mother underwent DBS surgery for her Parkinson's, which allowed her to be much more mobile (relatively speaking).
The disadvantage prompt is not about "what woes befell me or my family". Your family's circumstances didn't affect your precollege schooling, and hence, this story doesn't fall under disadvantaged.

The 2024 AMCAS application has a few new features: ...
• The self-reported "Disadvantaged Status" question has been replaced with "Other Impactful Experiences," with new corresponding help text.

You should include your story in the "other impactful experiences" section. It is memorable and certainly had an impact on you as a person.

Reactions: 2 users
The disadvantage prompt is not about "what woes befell me or my family". Your family's circumstances didn't affect your precollege schooling, and hence, this story doesn't fall under disadvantaged.
@Goro, @LizzyM -- Thank you for your feedback.

I had read in a few previous threads that any circumstances that placed a student at an educational disadvantage relative to their peers (within reason) would qualify. My status as a primary caregiver meant I had to miss a significant amount of school beginning in 10th grade. It had a significant impact on my grades as a result of the unpredictability of the responsibility and the time commitment involved. I was placed on warning due to my absences during my junior year of high school. During my senior year, I was forced to take a reduced course load my senior year in order to accommodate caring for my mom, and came very close to not graduating high school as a direct result of my caretaking responsibilities increasing exponentially during COVID. Standardized test prep was out of the question. I'm just confirming -- this does not qualify me as disadvantaged?

Please know I'm not trying to fish for disadvantaged status, and that I'm trying to go about the application process in an open and ethical manner -- I just want to make sure all the facts are available when feedback is given. Thanks again for your time!

• Care
The "disadvantaged" box is gone. Our opinions of who should or shouldn't check that box don't matter anymore because it is history and the new prompt is much more inclusive. I have no doubt that your experience fits the new prompt.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
@Goro, @LizzyM -- Thank you for your feedback.

I had read in a few previous threads that any circumstances that placed a student at an educational disadvantage relative to their peers (within reason) would qualify. My status as a primary caregiver meant I had to miss a significant amount of school beginning in 10th grade. It had a significant impact on my grades as a result of the unpredictability of the responsibility and the time commitment involved. I was placed on warning due to my absences during my junior year of high school. During my senior year, I was forced to take a reduced course load my senior year in order to accommodate caring for my mom, and came very close to not graduating high school as a direct result of my caretaking responsibilities increasing exponentially during COVID. Standardized test prep was out of the question. I'm just confirming -- this does not qualify me as disadvantaged?

Please know I'm not trying to fish for disadvantaged status, and that I'm trying to go about the application process in an open and ethical manner -- I just want to make sure all the facts are available when feedback is given. Thanks again for your time!
We have given you a green light about these instances where you can describe yourself as disadvantaged.

The challenge you have is not overwhelming your reviewers.

We will not give you an offer to medical school out of pity/sympathy. This is not a contest to see who is the "most disadvantaged."

You only have 1325 characters for OIE in the AMCAS application, and half as many characters when you apply for ERAS/residency. You may have additional essays in secondaries. You may be asked not to repeat information from your OIE in other parts of your application. Be strategic, and do not tell us everything that you think makes you disadvantaged.

What has your prehealth advising team told you?