AM I GETTING FIRED FROM CVS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soukig

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I just recently got onboarded or I just started CVS as a Pharmacy Technician since the second of December.. I know I'm still learning, but after working today... I was still struggling quite a bit with the crowd during Christmas. My Pharmacist's work ethics is much more different than the other stores who trained me. Lol. I was scheduled until 6PM today but he let me go home at 5:30 and then he changed my hours on Saturday from 9-2 to 2-5. He said it's because the other girl was already coming in early to help so he felt that there was no need for too many people. & most of the time during work, he had to tell me how some of the stuff worked when I never was dealt with that situation ever at work. He sort of chewed me out during recent times because I accidentally expidited or I was asking him the wrong questions and I felt so humiliated. Nonetheless I like my job occasionally if it weren't for that Pharmacist.. The other Pharmacists at the other stores were much more nicer and patient, even friendlier if you will. He's quite friendly too but it's like.. If you piss him off he will get pissed. lol sorry for ranting and venting. I'm just nervous if they'll let me go or nah.

Members don't see this ad.

Is he the pharmacy manager? Why not just open yourself up. Make yourself vulnerable and express your concerns with him in private. He cannot expect you to learn things that can only be learned while on the job....

It takes a lot to get fired from CVS as a tech. No one is firing you. You might not get the hours you want until you improve. It is CVS. The pharmacist is probably just trying to get through the day or watching his allocated hours or there is some other reason in play that shouldn't concern you.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a tech who was consistently late and hungover for her opening Friday morning shifts. The other techs were friends with her on FB and saw her party pics. She called out half the time. She never got fired. Never knew why they kept scheduling her for that shift.

Reactions: 1 user
Firing techs for lateness/ calling out requires two parts....

A competent manager who 1. Can provide all the proper documentation which in terms for lateness is 36 times, or calling out/sickness 8 times in a rolling twelve month period, for ALL employees

And 2. Someone to take that technician roles... So the pharmacy manager is not short staffed....

Which almost never happens. If it gets to the termination stage, you will see it coming a mile away and because you wanted to be fired.

So no worries!

We had a tech who was consistently late and hungover for her opening Friday morning shifts. The other techs were friends with her on FB and saw her party pics. She called out half the time. She never got fired. Never knew why they kept scheduling her for that shift.

This... Exactly. Competent managers are rare and this is why people don't get fired or if they do, The PM deals with HR or CVS gets a law suit.

How does CVs fire someone when another employee is getting away with it? Discrimination? Lack of training in its pharmacy managers? Etc. CVS has been sued for this... Or ends up paying unemployment benefits if they don't re hire the tech.

And if a tech does get fired, it's bc they did not follow proper channels or know to pursue.

Firing techs for lateness/ calling out requires two parts....

A competent manager who 1. Can provide all the proper documentation which in terms for lateness is 36 times, or calling out/sickness 8 times in a rolling twelve month period, for ALL employees

And 2. Someone to take that technician roles... So the pharmacy manager is not short staffed....

Which almost never happens. If it gets to the termination stage, you will see it coming a mile away and because you wanted to be fired.

So no worries!

Thanks for the feedback! I was just worried. It's a lot to learn and I'm still learning.. My trainer at a different store had trained me with production, and filled me up with a lot of confidence saying I was learning fast. Just to come to the store and having my manager say "You're doing it wrong" or I was "Counting wrong" is there a correct way to count? And most of the time when I try to learn how to do certain things like checking specific inventory for Narcotics, other people just do it for me, and I never get to hands on do it...

That's bull****, though. If someone calls out sick because they are constantly hung over, that's not just a lateness. That's job abandonment. All you have to do is gather all the proof, put it in a neat folder, and terminate the bitch. Either that or Document it as a level 3.

I had a tech who would call out sick to go do other ****. She called out "sick" by calling me at 9 am and making this fake voice to say "IM SO SICK IM IN BED I CANT MOVE!!!" Then my intern, who's friends with her on facebook, saw that she checked in at Dorney Park with all her friends and took multiple pictures of her laughing, being happy and joyful in a swimsuit. You don't just decide to go to Dorney Park last minute. This was a calculated move. She had planned that trip for AT LEAST a few days to weeks if not months.

So, the next time I saw her at work, I called her to the office and I terminated her. I called her out on her ****. I said you disrespected me, the store, your employees and you lied to me. There's no trust now. I can't ever trust a word you say. How can I trust that you fill medications properly and give prescriptions to patients at pickup properly if I don't trust you? Needless to say, she started crying. When you have proof, people can't say ****. I had to terminate her because all the other techs saw what she did and I couldn't let her get away with it. There are consequences to everything you do. I couldn't allow my other techs to see her get away with that. They would start doing it as well.

No one will ever question a manager's decisions as long as it wasn't discrimination. If you have proof that you didn't terminate someone because they're female, a certain race, etc, you have NOTHING TO FEAR. The key is having all the proof. You have to be meticulous. Have it all in a folder complete with times. Present it to him/her in the office. 99% of the time they will burst out in tears and just resign out of embarassment, anyway.

But yeah, I terminated her, and she had the nerve to call HR. My HRBP called me, I told her the situation and said I can't have someone who lied to my face and to my entire team in a PHARMACY with me where my license is on the line. She agreed and we proceeded.

Don't ever allow someone to walk all over you.

Reactions: 1 users

I worked with a comparable tech during my very brief sojourn at Osco many moons ago. In her case, she was supposed to work straight days, M-F, and she showed up maybe 2 or 3 out of her 5 shifts. One evening, she stopped by and said she wouldn't be in the next day because she had to drive to Ohio to be with her sister. I was thinking that maybe her sister's husband had died, that kind of thing, but no - she had broken up with her boyfriend. :eyebrow: I asked the manager, who was herself about to marry a man she didn't even LIKE, why that technician was allowed to continue working there; she replied, "Because she does a good job when she's here. :wtf:

I was then transferred to my store, and things went downhill from there. I won't ruin my day by dredging all of that up.

p.s. In case you're wondering if "Ohio" was a member of any protected class, no, she wasn't. This was almost 20 years ago, so there was no Facebook, etc.

That's bull****, though. If someone calls out sick because they are constantly hung over, that's not just a lateness. That's job abandonment. All you have to do is gather all the proof, put it in a neat folder, and terminate the bitch. Either that or Document it as a level 3.

I had a tech who would call out sick to go do other ****. She called out "sick" by calling me at 9 am and making this fake voice to say "IM SO SICK IM IN BED I CANT MOVE!!!" Then my intern, who's friends with her on facebook, saw that she checked in at Dorney Park with all her friends and took multiple pictures of her laughing, being happy and joyful in a swimsuit. You don't just decide to go to Dorney Park last minute. This was a calculated move. She had planned that trip for AT LEAST a few days to weeks if not months.

So, the next time I saw her at work, I called her to the office and I terminated her. I called her out on her ****. I said you disrespected me, the store, your employees and you lied to me. There's no trust now. I can't ever trust a word you say. How can I trust that you fill medications properly and give prescriptions to patients at pickup properly if I don't trust you? Needless to say, she started crying. When you have proof, people can't say ****. I had to terminate her because all the other techs saw what she did and I couldn't let her get away with it. There are consequences to everything you do. I couldn't allow my other techs to see her get away with that. They would start doing it as well.

No one will ever question a manager's decisions as long as it wasn't discrimination. If you have proof that you didn't terminate someone because they're female, a certain race, etc, you have NOTHING TO FEAR. The key is having all the proof. You have to be meticulous. Have it all in a folder complete with times. Present it to him/her in the office. 99% of the time they will burst out in tears and just resign out of embarassment, anyway.

But yeah, I terminated her, and she had the nerve to call HR. My HRBP called me, I told her the situation and said I can't have someone who lied to my face and to my entire team in a PHARMACY with me where my license is on the line. She agreed and we proceeded.

Don't ever allow someone to walk all over you.

Great job,

I'm just curious, what level documentation did you use? Under what policy?

For me, that is a level 1 call out no call, no show...

Our city has a mandated sick day policy where we can't even question why they are sick..., they just have to say I want to use a sick day (that they earned based on hours they work).

That's not a level 1. That's lying. No call no show applies when someone is legitimately sick.

If someone LIES TO YOUR FACE, terminate him/her. Some of you guys are too nice. Screw that.

Nonetheless I like my job occasionally if it weren't for that Pharmacist.. The other Pharmacists at the other stores were much more nicer and patient, even friendlier if you will. He's quite friendly too but it's like.. If you piss him off he will get pissed. lol sorry for ranting and venting. I'm just nervous if they'll let me go or nah.

is he indian? not to be racist, but all the indian pharmacists in this area i know have bad or "nasty" attitude..

Techs are unionized where I work and would laugh in the face of "fire-able offenses"