Am I just Dreaming or Can I actually Do this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kn190390

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new here and I am stressing myself to the bone. I graduated last may with a less than stellar gpa of 2.34 which is way below what i am normally capable of. I was in and out of the hospital for about 3 semesters and i didn't want to drop any class so i just struggled through them. I was a psych major and i didnt get a chance to take any hard sciences. I had wanted to but after my gpa fell i just couldnt risk it. Anyway so here is my problem. I want to be a doctor i've always wanted to be one. I have been thinking of different ways to raise my gpa and I just cant figure out what would be a good option. I could either take a bunch of math and sciences courses to raise my gpa at least to the 3.2 range and then go into a post bac or special masters program OR I could go into a post bac program at rutgers (the non cert option) where they let you take all the courses and not recieve a cert or anything. I am working now in a non medical related field, however, i have a full resume of hospital/rehabilitation internship and volunteer work and I am volunteering at 2 hospitals at the moment. I know i need to raise my gpa and kick ass on the MCAT obviously its a long road but I am only 22 right now so I think I have time. Any suggestions?

Kerrry
Stressed in Jersey

Members don't see this ad.

Not to sound harsh...but I don't this you will ever get into a US allo school with those grades, no matter what post-bac you pull short of a Nobel prize. However you may have a slight chance at a D.O. or Carribean school if you have an outstanding MCAT. You E.C.s seem to be okay too but there is no way your undergrad GPA will do nothing but cut your chances down to a minimum. Since you already graduated with no pre-reqs completed (from what I understand) I would say DO or Carribean is your only chance and still very small...no matter what you do. Might be best to choose another field.

2.34 is not "less than stellar". It is barely graduating. In my major they would have kicked me out if I pulled less than a 2.5!

To answer your title question I would say you are dreaming.

Wow that was harsh. Hasn't this been done before? I think if you search around you can find stories of people who faced bad odds, yet worked hard and got into an allo school eventually. Usually doing something like 4.0 prereqs with a high MCAT and some sort of grad school or post bacc / SMP... Very hard, but not impossible. Maybe some people who have gone through a similar situation can chip in? OP has an explanation for the low initial gpa, which may fly with some adcoms.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not impossible to get into med school with poor undergrad grades. It is not likely, but not impossible. You could just take the MCAT and apply, but you probably won't get very far the way things are right now. You never know, of course -- especially if you have a very high MCAT score -- but I think you could really improve your chances by beefing up your academic resume first.

Here's the first step: make sure you really can pull off excellent grades, and make sure you want to do it. I have no reason to doubt you, but if I were on an admissions committee, the only proof I would have of your aptitude is your GPA. GPAs are not subtle, and they don't take into account potential -- only results. I hear about a lot of people who justify poor grades because of their work schedules or other things. It's admirable to stay so busy, but no one will care unless the grades are good.

So if you've done your gut check already, you've got some options ahead of you. Your first goal should be to raise your undergrad GPA if possible. Have you taken all of the standard pre-med courses already? If you haven't, you should definitely take them on a rigorous schedule now. If you've already taken them, re-taking is not always the best solution, especially if it's only been a couple of years since the first time. You could look into taking some advanced science classes, if you're interested in them, as an alternative. The big problem, of course, is that your GPA is going to be difficult to raise with just a few classes. I had an undergrad GPA of 2.75 after 130 credits or so, and 35 post-bacc credits at 3.93 barely got me up to a 3.0.

An SMP program is an excellent choice if you can get into one, which might be hard because of your grades at the moment. Most SMP programs have excellent success rates but are rather selective with their admissions criteria. I know lots of very smart people who got into SMP programs after failing to get into a med school. High performance in one of these programs virtually guarantees admission.

Overall, you should just be prepared to work very hard for the next couple of years. You should also expect to run into a great deal of resistance and a few disappointments along the way. Develop a thick skin, keep your head down, and stay focused on your goals. Even with all of that, it's always possible that you won't get in anywhere; be prepared for this and have contingency plans, just so that your significant investments of time and money aren't "wasted" in the end.

Guys the OP is saying she already graduated with a 2.35. Even another 120 credits of straight As would only be a 3.17. OP are you ready to take that many courses keeping in mind how difficult pre-reqs can be? I am not saying you can't but it takes a lot of money to go through post-bacs not to mention time. If it never paid off how bad would that suck:mad: ? Facing facts is hard but needed in situations like this. U.S. M.D. is a stretch and we all know it. D.O. might be a good chance for the OP to practice medicine and is probably her only shot.

Guys the OP is saying she already graduated with a 2.35. Even another 120 credits of straight As would only be a 3.17. OP are you ready to take that many courses keeping in mind how difficult pre-reqs can be? I am not saying you can't but it takes a lot of money to go through post-bacs not to mention time. If it never paid off how bad would that suck:mad: ? Facing facts is hard but needed in situations like this. U.S. M.D. is a stretch and we all know it. D.O. might be a good chance for the OP to practice medicine and is probably her only shot.
Pragmatism vs. principles, I guess. D.O. schools produce excellent physicians, but there are significant differences that may strongly affect one's career after graduation. And anyway, a low GPA isn't going to impress many D.O. schools either. They're not looking for underdogs any more than allopathic schools, and someone who can't handle one certainly couldn't handle the other.

I think it's pretty obvious that a 2.35 isn't going to open doors, but it's equally naive just to "give up" and pursue other options without thinking it through. People do get into allopathic medical schools with terrible grades, IF there is evidence that the applicant is capable of handling the medical school workload.

The Good
- Age 22 (time is still on your side!!)
- The fact that you have not taken any science courses is also a huge plus - a 2.3 GPA with lots of science would be tremendously more damaging and difficult to overcome. Remember they separate the BCPM (Bio, Chem, Phys, Math) GPA on the application and there is more weight given to it at many schools (this is from first-hand experience).
- Time to plan, prepare for and kick butt on the MCAT

The Bad
- Lost time
- Additional costs (taking more classes, MCAT prep course, possibly post-bacc program cost, etc.)

The Ugly
- GPA

If you know in your gut that you're mentally capable of going to med school (including getting through all the science pre-reqs before you get there and the rigors of training when you do get there), and if you know in your mind that you are in a place in your life where you can be serious about this (giving it your all without falling prey to handicaps and excuses), and finally, if you know in your heart that this is absolutely the one thing you must do with your life... then it may be possible for you to overlook "The Bad" and use "The Good" to overcome "The Ugly". All of this, of course, at the price of some serious "blood, sweat and tears" probably. As far as concrete steps you would need to take to overcome "The Ugly", do a search for threads discussing "low gpa" - you will find good practical advice in these forums, as well as some very inspiring stories.

You can do it. You need to kill your post-bac and MCAT though.

As I read your post, you were in and out of the hospital for three semesters so you have an explanation for the poor GPA. Particularly if you GPA was solid for the semesters when illness was not an issue. If this is not the case, however, a 2.34 in psych will not be inspiring to ADCOMs so you will need to work even harder. Make sure you explain the illness you had in college and how that was part of the reason you decided to enter medicine (which I assume it was). It is an explanation without sounding too whiny about your low GPA.

DO schools will replace a grade for class that you have retaken later, so that's an advantage. Allo schools generally won't, however I have heard of cases where allo schools will take into consideration your situation and even overlook your poor undergrad if it was taken awhile ago... My wife's MSTP mentor is a member of the adcom, and this is the impression I get from him. However, your postbac classes (retake of prereqs) and MCAT must be very very high for there to be any chance.

I think all of the comments on here have made some very good points so far. I only have a few other questions/points to offer. For one, you may very well have a compelling reason/explaination for your poor performance in undergrad, one that will certainly need to be addressed in your personal statement (which needs to be awesome and really address your motiveations as well). Adcoms do look at this. Now usually this is used to explaina a bad semester or a bad year, not an entire degree program, but you will need to offer the explaination anyway.

Second, your GPA needs to be brought up to the 3.x range. Some people have gotten in with just below a 3.0, but the rest of their application has been really compelling to make up for it. And in all fairness, the average successfull applicant has a GPA in the mid 3.x's. A regular post bac probably won't do this for you (just crunch the numbers), so what about doing a comlpetely new B.S. or B.A. program? Perhaps in a science? If you do really well and get another bachelors in a science with a high GPA, you may be able to pass it off as a do-over, a real turn-your-life-around success story. Plus, your BCMP average could potentially be the envy of SDN (assumming you got A's in your math and sciences). This would look very impressive to the adcoms. However, it would require at least 3 years I would think, not too mention the expense of paying for it while still trying to support yourself.

Third, it is absolutely essential that you completely slay that MCAT beast. A mediocre performance may not be enough. You need to do well (certainly 30+ I would think, although some posters may argue that you need mid 30's to make up for GPA. I'm not sure if this is necessary). Unfortunately, you will not know if you can do well on it until after you have all of those science pre-reqs under your belt and start to take practice tests.

Lastly, you need to develop impressive EC's and show that you have significant exposure to medicine and healthcare, as well as demonstrate your involvement with community service. This you can do easily enough through volunteering and shadowing, but it would help to have a diversity of experiences to talk about to support your personal statement.

An earlier poster was right in that time is on your side. I would take this one step at a time and focus on the immediate objectives of doing well in school and participating in good EC's. Choose a track of study that will allow you to do an alternate career if you have to, that way you will not have wasted your time should you change your mind later on. After a couple of years of study and activities, you will be in a better position to re-evaluate your chances again. Patience is the key for your situation. Your dream is not impossible, you just have to be smart about how you go about it. I think that if this is something you really want, you should move forward with your plans, perhaps shoot for applying to med school in say 4 or 5 years. Give yourself that time frame to turn things around and put together an outstanding portfolio. When making your decisions though, be realistic in your expectations of exactly how much effort this will involve. It will be a lot of hard work towards a goal with uncertain odds of success. But if you know you can do this and this is what you want, don't give up. Best of luck to you! Please keep us posted! :luck:

Hi everyone, I am new here and I am stressing myself to the bone. I graduated last may with a less than stellar gpa of 2.34 which is way below what i am normally capable of. I was in and out of the hospital for about 3 semesters and i didn't want to drop any class so i just struggled through them. I was a psych major and i didnt get a chance to take any hard sciences. I had wanted to but after my gpa fell i just couldnt risk it. Anyway so here is my problem. I want to be a doctor i've always wanted to be one. I have been thinking of different ways to raise my gpa and I just cant figure out what would be a good option. I could either take a bunch of math and sciences courses to raise my gpa at least to the 3.2 range and then go into a post bac or special masters program OR I could go into a post bac program at rutgers (the non cert option) where they let you take all the courses and not recieve a cert or anything. I am working now in a non medical related field, however, i have a full resume of hospital/rehabilitation internship and volunteer work and I am volunteering at 2 hospitals at the moment. I know i need to raise my gpa and kick ass on the MCAT obviously its a long road but I am only 22 right now so I think I have time. Any suggestions?

Kerrry
Stressed in Jersey

I have some advice for you: Work your A$$ off and get a 3.2 and atleast a 22 on the MCAT. I blew the MCAT physical and ended up with a 22 (10 B, 10 V, 2 P) but still managed getting accepted to both the AUC and St. George. I was the average Joe at that point. I was borderline but what got me in was dedicating 1 semester to upper level courses like medical microbiology and neuroanatomy and getting all A's. Show them you can get the grade then you will be furtunate enough to get THE chance. If you keep a low 2.0 right now they are going to predict your medical micro grade will be a D or lower. SHOW THEM they are WRONG, take medical level courses for atleast 1 semester and ACE them. As an undergrad it looks more impressive. SHOW THEM! SHOW THEM!