Am I Meeting the Core Competencies? (Should I take more time to develop my app?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holistic.minded

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post on SDN so please don't go too crazy - not sure if this is the right forum but anything helps!

I have a scattered background as it took me a while to arrive at MD/DO as the right career after exploring Naturopathic school, clinical psych, nutrition, biotech, etc. before realizing than an MD/DO grants me the best launching pad to work in a holistic health career.
I am a non-trad applicant, two years post-grad currently and I don't want to apply until I have a well-rounded application. Ideally, next cycle.

Washington resident
White, female

Undergrad - University of Washington
Double degree in Biology and Psychology
cGPA: 3.72 (3.5> 3.6> 3.78> 3.89)
sGPA: 3.58 (3.2> 3.3> 3.66> 3.88)
*downward trend in Gen Chem freshman year, ending on a C+ (consider retaking?)

MCAT: Just started studying, planning on a 6-8 month study timeline (working full-time), no practice tests yet. Shooting for 512.

Shadowing:
- see scribing below (~400 hours)
- 30 hours MD elsewhere
- 10 hours DO (room for improvement)
- 25 hours ND
- Intending to add hours over the next year

Clinical Experience:
- 80 hours in-patient children's psychiatric unit working directly with patients
- 6 months part time as Medical Scribe in ED

Research:
- Part time over two separate summers

Volunteering:
- Current volunteer tutoring in junior high and high school science subjects
- Volunteer assistant to behavioral and speech therapists at an Autism and Neurodevelopment center over one summer
- Leader for fundraising for local cancer research organization

Current Job: full time technical sales and support for high power microscopes (working with research labs, medical device R&D, etc.)
- Lots of time spent with engineers using the scopes - teaching them how to use it, troubleshooting, etc.

Other:
- Summer long study abroad focusing on relationships between mediterranean immigration and health/culture/society
- Peer facilitator in Immunology class
- Leadership role in Neurobiology club
- Several leadership roles in sorority
- Member in psychology honor society, leadership honor society, pre-med honor society

I would love any help in:
- understanding gaps in my application
- do I have enough clinical experience?
- advice for non-trads
- guidance on mcat score to shoot for, retaking gen chem, etc
- based on first glance, what are my chances? :)

Members don't see this ad.

The upward trends in both c and sGPA’s are both fine I think. Having upward trends in both helps a lot. I’m not sure how big of a boost retaking Chem would be. I don’t think it could hurt to do that, as long as it doesn’t interfere with mcat studying.

For the MCAT, obviously you want to do as well as you can. A 512 will make you competitive to get into an MD program. A ~515 will help with mid-tiers. Maybe a ~518 for high-tiers.

For shadowing and MD programs, you really only need 50 or so hours. Make sure that includes some primary care.

Not sure of your total volunteering hours, but it’s best to have 150+ of clinical and non clinical. The only hole in your application is that it looks like you don’t have much service to people who are disadvantaged/less fortunate than you.

I don’t know about your total research hours or production, but unless you are really set on research-heavy schools, I don’t think it’s necessary for you to have a ton or get more.

Until you have your actual MCAT score, the experts won’t be able to advise you on a school list. Post again when you get your score.

Reactions: 1 user
The upward trends in both c and sGPA’s are both fine I think. Having upward trends in both helps a lot. I’m not sure how big of a boost retaking Chem would be. I don’t think it could hurt to do that, as long as it doesn’t interfere with mcat studying.

For the MCAT, obviously you want to do as well as you can. A 512 will make you competitive to get into an MD program. A ~515 will help with mid-tiers. Maybe a ~518 for high-tiers.

For shadowing and MD programs, you really only need 50 or so hours. Make sure that includes some primary care.

Not sure of your total volunteering hours, but it’s best to have 150+ of clinical and non clinical. The only hole in your application is that it looks like you don’t have much service to people who are disadvantaged/less fortunate than you.

I don’t know about your total research hours or production, but unless you are really set on research-heavy schools, I don’t think it’s necessary for you to have a ton or get more.

Until you have your actual MCAT score, the experts won’t be able to advise you on a school list. Post again when you get your score.
Thank you so much, that's really helpful!!