Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Am I non-trad

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Straight Cali, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Straight Cali

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hey All,
    Just wondering if I would be classified as non-trad. I'm currently 22 and am in a health policy fellowship. I majored in gov and minored in bio, but took more than just pre-med reqs. I'm applying for the 2008 cycle. I spent my first college summer doing basic research but since then have focused on health policy work, both in the private and public sectors. However, I have continued to work for the lab that hired me my freshamn summer during my breaks and will probably head back there next fall until i'm done with the app cycle. I've also had extensive clinical exposure.

Thanks for your .02.

2. Krisss17

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Okay, with you it doesn't seem like a clear black and white answer. You are 22, so in many senses, oldpremeds like me (42 and counting) would see you more as a traditional student. Yet....you seem to have a lot of EC and background that doesn't make you seem the traditional traditional (written twice for emphasis) student.

Age-wise, I always think of a nontrad as someone who is 25+ who has experienced life outside of a school setting (i.e. actually working for a living).

3. Quix

Quix Herr Professor
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Academic Administration
    No, I wouldn't call you a non-trad. You have a bit more experience than the usual applicant, but not enough to make you non-traditional, especially since you are the age of the usual college senior.

4. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Seconded. I would consider a non-trad as someone who has had a separate career path (be it military, law, travel agent, etc.) before applying to medical school.

I do find it interesting that non-traditional seems to be have a positive connotation. Not too long ago you had to apologize...

5. Nasrudin

Nasrudin Apropos of Nothing
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You know what.....(puffs on cuban cigar)....I like you kid. Sure....why not. You're a non-traditional. Welcome to da club.

I'm not sure there is much to say about the title...but uh, every couple a two, tree weeks we play poker over ralph's....why don't you drop in.

6. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Let me help you out. From the top banner:

Now look at yourself in the mirror and ask if this describes you. there's your answer.

Now having said that, there's nothing that says you're not welcome. EVERYONE is welcome to read, post, give helpful advice. :)