• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Straight Cali

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Hey All,
Just wondering if I would be classified as non-trad. I'm currently 22 and am in a health policy fellowship. I majored in gov and minored in bio, but took more than just pre-med reqs. I'm applying for the 2008 cycle. I spent my first college summer doing basic research but since then have focused on health policy work, both in the private and public sectors. However, I have continued to work for the lab that hired me my freshamn summer during my breaks and will probably head back there next fall until i'm done with the app cycle. I've also had extensive clinical exposure.

Thanks for your .02.

Krisss17

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
In btwn here and there!
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Hey All,
Just wondering if I would be classified as non-trad. I'm currently 22 and am in a health policy fellowship. I majored in gov and minored in bio, but took more than just pre-med reqs. I'm applying for the 2008 cycle. I spent my first college summer doing basic research but since then have focused on health policy work, both in the private and public sectors. However, I have continued to work for the lab that hired me my freshamn summer during my breaks and will probably head back there next fall until i'm done with the app cycle. I've also had extensive clinical exposure.

Thanks for your .02.

Okay, with you it doesn't seem like a clear black and white answer. You are 22, so in many senses, oldpremeds like me (42 and counting) would see you more as a traditional student. Yet....you seem to have a lot of EC and background that doesn't make you seem the traditional traditional (written twice for emphasis) student.

Age-wise, I always think of a nontrad as someone who is 25+ who has experienced life outside of a school setting (i.e. actually working for a living).

Quix

Herr Professor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Lake Charles, LA
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
No, I wouldn't call you a non-trad. You have a bit more experience than the usual applicant, but not enough to make you non-traditional, especially since you are the age of the usual college senior.

About the Ads

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
No, I wouldn't call you a non-trad.
Seconded. I would consider a non-trad as someone who has had a separate career path (be it military, law, travel agent, etc.) before applying to medical school.

I do find it interesting that non-traditional seems to be have a positive connotation. Not too long ago you had to apologize...

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You know what.....(puffs on cuban cigar)....I like you kid. Sure....why not. You're a non-traditional. Welcome to da club.

I'm not sure there is much to say about the title...but uh, every couple a two, tree weeks we play poker over ralph's....why don't you drop in.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Let me help you out. From the top banner:

Nontraditional Students For students that have entered the health professions from a different path, either as a career change, after military service, or just later than the average pre-health student.

Now look at yourself in the mirror and ask if this describes you. there's your answer.

Now having said that, there's nothing that says you're not welcome. EVERYONE is welcome to read, post, give helpful advice. :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.