am i on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspirevet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could use some advise/opinions! I'm about to be a junior in high school. I've been interested in becoming a vet since freshman year so last summer I shadowed a few half days at a vet clinic (just a few...only like 36 hours or so) and I really enjoyed it. I plan on shadowing at the same clinic a lot probably starting next week and then throughout the rest of the summer. Hopefully I'll get a decent amount of hours in before college.

But I know that getting into vet school (although it's a few years away) is really difficult and I'm worried that my grades/GPA might end up preventing me from getting in. My GPA has always been on the lower end of a 3.5 throughout high school which isn't as high as I'd like it. My school is rigorous (for example my pre-AP english II class this past year was equivalent to other high school senior english classes in my area) but I'm still worried because it's difficult to get a high GPA and then maintain it for me.

Next year I'm taking double science ( Anatomy & Psychology, and Physics) and senior year I'm taking AP Biology. I'm also working on saturdays as a referee along with other clubs and whatnot.

Any advise or opinions? Am I on the right track so far?

Members don't see this ad.

You seem like you're on the right track. Vet schools only really care about your undergraduate GPA unless you go to a school in Australia or something. Make sure you do well enough in high school to get into college. Don't over stress in high school like I have. It's not worth it. The real stuff starts after it :p

What Willotree said, it's great that you're doing well in high school! In actuality, if you're super serious about vet school now, look at your IS about vet scholars programs. At Purdue, the vet scholars is a program you apply for in high school, and if you qualify and meet the required GPA throughout your undergrad and get your prereqs, then you're admitted to vet school. A friend of mine got in after two years of undergrad through that program, as well as being a vet smart cookie.

Bottom line, check with your school about the program while you're still in HS.