Am I on track to apply next summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just completed my sophomore year of college and even though my grades are fine, I am not sure if I'll be ready put through a solid application for the summer of 2011.

-Here is what I have accomplished so far

Freshmen year:
Biology I- A
Biology II- B+
Chemistry I- A
Chem lab- A
Chem II- A
chem lab- A
pre-calc- A
Calculus I- A

Sophomore year:
Genetics- B
Cell bio and physiology- A-
Orgo I- A
Orgo lab- A
Orgo II- A
Orgo lab A

Junior Year I plan on taking the following courses and then the MCAT in late June:
Molecular Genetics
Mammalian Physiology
Physics I
Physics II
Biochemistry of Physiology

(I have only listed courses that would count towards my sGPA)
-So far my cGPA is ~3.8 (only Bs have been in science classes)

For EC:
-Been doing research with a physiology professor involving photo-transduction since second semester of sophomore year, I do not think there will be publication by the end of my junior year. By the time I apply would have been doing this for about 1.5 years.
- volunteer tutoring, it will have been 1.5 years, approx ~200 hours by the time i apply.
-volunteering at the University health center at my university, about ~120hours when i apply
(These are basically the three solid things I do on a weekly basis)

-This summer I will start volunteer at a hospital and also shadow a few doctors, hope to have about ~200hpurs of volunteering and ~50hours of shadowing from until the time i apply.
-this summer I will also be a mentor for day camp program lasts a week, in which I will help to promote science and math in young elementary to middle school kids.

-In my junior and I also plan to be Guided study session leader for one of the Orgo classes at my school. This involves me holding two weekly review session for interested student, and helping them to better grasp the material. Could this go under leadership? and I would have done this for two consecutive semesters before I apply.

So what do you guys think, will I Have a solid application for summer of 2011 if everything goes as planned?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You're looking good, terpmeister :)) Just dont take Mamm Phys with Higgins, and you should be golden. If you score above 36 on the MCAT, you will get some love from Top schools.

You look to have a very, very nice well-rounded application. Guided study session would more properly go under Teaching. The tutoring could go under teaching or Community Service. If you assume an organizational position with the tutoring group, that could be considered peer leadership. Or look around for another opportunity: start a new group, run a fund raising effort, campus cleanup, or food drive with your friends. Or take on training new volunteers for the health center.

Don't forget to list hobbies, artistic endeavors, sports, etc.

thanks guys.

does any one have anything else to add?