Am I on track to becoming an NP/PA?

Started by Evisju7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Evisju7

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm graduating this spring with a psychology degree and biology minor. My GPA is somewhere in the 3.5-3.6 range. In addition, I am an EMT and have some volunteering under my belt. It has taken me longer to graduate than most due to now-resolved health issues that I think I could use to my benefit in an interview.


My post graduation plan is to work as an EMT for approximately two years while finishing up my pre-reqs and meeting any other additional requirements that the schools I'm looking into require. I'd like to apply to both PA schools and direct NP programs. Does this sound realistic? How can I improve my plan?
 
I'm graduating this spring with a psychology degree and biology minor. My GPA is somewhere in the 3.5-3.6 range. In addition, I am an EMT and have some volunteering under my belt. It has taken me longer to graduate than most due to now-resolved health issues that I think I could use to my benefit in an interview.


My post graduation plan is to work as an EMT for approximately two years while finishing up my pre-reqs and meeting any other additional requirements that the schools I'm looking into require. I'd like to apply to both PA schools and direct NP programs. Does this sound realistic? How can I improve my plan?

I did something similar. I wanted psych though, so I only applied to psych NP direct entry programs. Worked great for me! I was doing psych research (in which I did clinical interviewing), taking pre-reqs part-time, volunteered in a hospital for a while... this was all more than enough experience to make me competitive. Make sure you ace your prereqs and have a strong GRE.