Am I over-thinking this (paragraphs vs bullets on AMCAS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMCASTuesdays

I heard vaccines killed Jenny Schecter
Reaction score
I might be over thinking this, but I wanted to see if there could be any kind of negative consequences on my app for mixing my use of bullet points and paragraphs when describing my activities. For each entry I picked either/or, but I'm finding that bullets work well for some entries whereas for some others I like having the chance to give more context. Could it be annoying for an ADCOM to have a lack of consistency like this between my entries?

Members don't see this ad.

You posted in the wrong section, but no, it shouldn’t matter if some W/A are lists and some are paragraphs. For example, I listed my publications, but I described my research as two separate entries.

Reactions: 1 users
I might be over thinking this, but I wanted to see if there could be any kind of negative consequences on my app for mixing my use of bullet points and paragraphs when describing my activities. For each entry I picked either/or, but I'm finding that bullets work well for some entries whereas for some others I like having the chance to give more context. Could it be annoying for an ADCOM to have a lack of consistency like this between my entries?
Paragraphs vs bullets will depend on the activity. List of awards? bullet points. Hobbies? Could go either way depending on if you want to describe something or list it. Publications? Bullets. Clinical employment? Probably paragraphs. And so on. Do what feels most comfortable for the context of the activity.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! If you don't mind, a follow up question:

What are your thoughts on listing academic awards? Should I have one entry and then just bullet point all the honor societies or dean's lists that I've made? Or can it just be assumed from my grades that I'd have these achievements and I should just focus on other activities?

Might as well list them unless you desperately need all 15 slots for other activities.

Reactions: 1 user

What are your thoughts on listing academic awards? Should I have one entry and then just bullet point all the honor societies or dean's lists that I've made? Or can it just be assumed from my grades that I'd have these achievements and I should just focus on other activities?
Two schools of thought here as well: List it all or list prestigious ones. If it all fits and it is in the context of a bunch of stellar ECs then no one will mind. If you have particular ones that increase an otherwise meh app then list just the prestigious ones to draw attention to it.

I personally am listing all that fits because it gives context that I want an ADCOM skimming it to be like “Ok, I get it - commandants list and scholarships everywhere.”

sorry @MemeLord meant to direct that question at you ^

Thank you for all the advice everyone!

In addition to what others have said, if the significance of an award is not commonly known (and is not clear from its title), be sure to write a short snippet about it! People do put "Dean's list" as their only award, though that has never swayed my decision either way as I assume most folks would have qualified for it.

In addition to what others have said, if the significance of an award is not commonly known (and is not clear from its title), be sure to write a short snippet about it! People do put "Dean's list" as their only award, though that has never swayed my decision either way as I assume most folks would have qualified for it.
How do you feel about “Commandants list” for military training? It is for top 20% of a given military schooling, and “distinguished honor graduate” is for the top in the program.

How do you feel about “Commandants list” for military training? It is for top 20% of a given military schooling, and “distinguished honor graduate” is for the top in the program.
Describe it. I certainly had no clue what that award entailed and I'm dating a military person. Guess he's part of the 80% :laugh:. Congrats.

Maybe not a popular opinion, but I would write it in the style that you are more comfortable with. I personally wrote everything in paragraph format. After each activity i described it at first, and then talked a little bit about what i learnt while doing that activity, and how i think it prepared me for career in medicine. I openly talked about stuff too, - for example, one of my activity is working in addiction treatment facility, and majority of my clinical hours come from there. So, under description i said that prior to working there i think i was a little judgmental regarding people who suffer from substance abuse, but after working there i learnt .... (and i expanded on that). Now, if you are not very comfortable writing in the paragraph format, maybe consider not to.