Am I Ready for USMLE Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Black Coffee 24/7

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Disclosure:

188 on UW Assessment 1 last month with an average of 64% on my UW first pass with about 1000 quests left

Today: finished UW first pass at 64%, finished UW second pass at 83%, and UW Assessment 2 at 234
My UW second pass was literally 7-9 blocks a day in the past 7 days without reviewing the blocks

Am I ready? I don't feel like doing any more NBMEs. I have just reread up to block #33 on my second pass. I feel like my next couple of days is better spent reviewing UW Assessment 2 and the rest of my UW blocks on my second pass

My test is in four days and my goal is just to score >200, and I'm thrilled with anything over 220

Members don't see this ad.

I second that.

Another NMBE could help solidify your choice if you feel like you have the energy to take one, but if you aren’t taking another NBME I’d still take the test. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot guys. This means a lot to me. This process has been a slow grinding marathon. I will personally be ecstatic with a real score +-5 around this range.

At this point, I figure that there's no point to take some random NBME and have my confidence sapped from this recent assessment. For those people who manage to pull this thread on google in the future due to anxiety, I literally studied nonstop 10-12 hrs every day for 7 days a week in the past 4-5 weeks to get an improvement of 45 points.

Finally, ZANKI is a pos. I wasted so much time on that crap throughout the year. If I have time to go back and slap my younger self in the face, I would highly recommend to man up and straight up do Uworld 40 quests random block starting in Dec-Jan of 2nd year, and create your own ANKI flash cards off your UW progression.

I personally will not be using ZANKI for third year. This entire process of board prepping has been an eye opening.

Disclosure:

188 on UW Assessment 1 last month with an average of 64% on my UW first pass with about 1000 quests left

Today: finished UW first pass at 64%, finished UW second pass at 83%, and UW Assessment 2 at 234
My UW second pass was literally 7-9 blocks a day in the past 7 days without reviewing the blocks

Am I ready? I don't feel like doing any more NBMEs. I have just reread up to block #33 on my second pass. I feel like my next couple of days is better spent reviewing UW Assessment 2 and the rest of my UW blocks on my second pass

My test is in four days and my goal is just to score >200, and I'm thrilled with anything over 220
What was your pre-clinical GPA? Or your class rank?

Glad to hear I’m not the only one who doesn’t like Zanki. Will definitely take your advice

Does a score of above 200 really open any doors for you? Are you planning on doing FM?

I want to close this chapter by letting people know that I score about 224 Step 1 on the real one relative to my final UWSA 2 of 234. If you're really anxious, I would say that your real Step 1 score will be + or - 10 pts of UWSA2. I had my worst case scenario, predicting a real score of 220 from my assessment.

I normally don't let nerve bothers me. However, I had a lot of nerves for my first 3 blocks. My last 4-5 blocks felt normal and relaxing. I would say that the exam quests have about 60% UW style quests with 40% of them being NBME style quests. I didn't do any NBME quests due timing constriction and I really regretted that.

If I could go back in time, I highly advise you to use ANKI and know everything in Sketchy Micro and Sketch Pharm. Sketchy Pharm will land you all the points on the real thing. Sketchy Micro isn't enough bc the real exams have quests with a bunch of slides on them. If you supplement Sketchy Micro with test slides and procedures for diagnostic, you are golden on this. USMLE Step 1 has moved away from "buzz words" on Sketchy Micro and has gone straight to slide findings and preparation procedures now when it comes to Micro.

My weakest subjects on Step 1 are Psych and Biostats. Strangely, I honored both of these classes and killed both of these sections on UW and all self assessments. I made a ton of stupid mistakes on Biostats though by second guessing myself and changing right to wrong answers. I killed the GI section on the real test despite doing poorly in class for this one. So, class performance in subjects doesn’t mean jack.

Good luck to everyone that's reading this. You got this. If you're feeling stressful, just know that 80-90% of the time your real Step 1 score will be within 10 pts from your latest assessment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
How were you using Zanki? Congrats btw!

I personally did all the NBME from 13 onward and there were basically freebies that were either the same or similarly asked questions from The NBME. Even though it may only be a couple questions, they can still make a big difference.