Am I ready to apply this coming spring, or should I wait until next school year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briskknight

Reaction score
Hello!

The answer of this will decide when I take the MCAT, because I really really am afraid of it expiring, so I want to take it the year that I apply.

Junior level undergrad (4th year of school though :/).

3.85 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA (I am pretty consistent I guess). All prereqs set to be finished my senior year.

Many many hours of non-clinical work experience, 400+ hours of clinical work experience (my conservative estimates give me 416 hours), around 50 hours of clinical volunteering in a hospice home, relocated from area so had to stop. Currently volunteer for ACS on a weekly basis. Minor leadership in the roles of OL and TA type undergraduate activities, at well as being a camp counselor for a short time. Just now starting biopsychological research, going to be doing perfusions on mice as my main thing, and help with other roles as well. No shadowing yet, but I may have a chance to shadow my siblings' pediatrician if I get to visit my home state over break (I obviously have no idea what the future would hold, but I do believe I want to be in pediatrics: pediatric primary care, child + adolescent psychiatry, or child neurology). If I continue the volunteering, get a scribe job (my other clinical work is hard to maintain with where I moved for school), continue pursuing the research, get some shadowing, and am able to craft the application well, do I have a chance this year? I would rather wait longer than have my first application cycle be weak.

Extra question: If you do recommend me holding off and taking a gap year, how should I spend my gap year? Or should I do a SMP? I was thinking maybe just working as a research tech, but let me know if you have any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT scores tend to not expire for a few years. So if you are debating whether to take and apply this year or take this year and apply next cycle, the effect will be negligible. I did the latter, taking the MCAT one fall and applying the next fall and there was no issue. and The rest of your app seems to be fairly solid on paper, so take the MCAT when you are ready and have practice exams in your goal zone, and then apply either that year or the next and you should do well.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutors
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

The answer of this will decide when I take the MCAT, because I really really am afraid of it expiring, so I want to take it the year that I apply.

3.85 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA (I am pretty consistent I guess). All prereqs set to be finished my senior year.

Many many hours of non-clinical work experience, 400+ hours of clinical work experience (my conservative estimates give me 416 hours), around 50 hours of clinical volunteering in a hospice home, relocated from area so had to stop. Currently volunteer for ACS on a weekly basis. Minor leadership in the roles of OL and TA type undergraduate activities, at well as being a camp counselor for a short time. Just now starting biopsychological research, going to be doing perfusions on mice as my main thing, and help with other roles as well. No shadowing yet, but I may have a chance to shadow my siblings' pediatrician if I get to visit my home state over break (I obviously have no idea what the future would hold, but I do believe I want to be in pediatrics: pediatric primary care, child + adolescent psychiatry, or child neurology). If I continue the volunteering, get a scribe job (my other clinical work is hard to maintain with where I moved for school), continue pursuing the research, get some shadowing, and am able to craft the application well, do I have a chance this year? I would rather wait longer than have my first application cycle be weak.

Extra question: If you do recommend me holding off and taking a gap year, how should I spend my gap year? Or should I do a SMP? I was thinking maybe just working as a research tech, but let me know if you have any suggestions.
Why do you think you NEED a gap year? Anyone can always benefit from gap years to gain extra experiences, but, they come at the cost of time. If you don't need it to mature (you've already spent an extra year in UG), or for GPA repair or to add to deficient EC hours, why would you even think about it, especially if it will necessitate having to go through the MCAT again?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

With your GPAs, an SMP would be a waste of money.

Get in some shadowing, rock the MCAT and you're ready to apply next year.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello!

If you have the coursework that you need for the MCAT, proceed with the MCAT and apply this spring/summer. Go for it!

MCAT scores tend to not expire for a few years. So if you are debating whether to take and apply this year or take this year and apply next cycle, the effect will be negligible. I did the latter, taking the MCAT one fall and applying the next fall and there was no issue. and The rest of your app seems to be fairly solid on paper, so take the MCAT when you are ready and have practice exams in your goal zone, and then apply either that year or the next and you should do well.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutors
Med School Tutors
Thank you! I probably will take the MCAT in a few months then

Why do you think you NEED a gap year? Anyone can always benefit from gap years to gain extra experiences, but, they come at the cost of time. If you don't need it to mature (you've already spent an extra year in UG), or for GPA repair or to add to deficient EC hours, why would you even think about it, especially if it will necessitate having to go through the MCAT again?
Well, it was kind of tied into my original question, if I should apply next year or the year after that. If it was decided that it would need to be a year after that to be a strong application, I would have a gap year between UG and med school.

With your GPAs, an SMP would be a waste of money.

Get in some shadowing, rock the MCAT and you're ready to apply next year.
Thank you for the info, I definitely wouldn't want to waste time and money.

My only nonclinical volunteering is with ACS. I am doing that weekly, so it should build up.
So what do you do with ACS? Nonclinical volunteering should be focused on the unserved/underserved in your community. Those less fortunate than yourself. I’m not sure if what you are doing is really what they have in mind for nonclinical volunteering. You need to get out of your comfort zone and get into something that is new and possibly uncomfortable for you. Like dealing with the homeless or those with food insecurities, etc.. working with underprivileged kids in a youth sports league, or with disabled kids at a camp. Things that stretch your experiences and encourage you to deal with all kinds of people.

Reactions: 1 users
So what do you do with ACS? Nonclinical volunteering should be focused on the unserved/underserved in your community. Those less fortunate than yourself. I’m not sure if what you are doing is really what they have in mind for nonclinical volunteering. You need to get out of your comfort zone and get into something that is new and possibly uncomfortable for you. Like dealing with the homeless or those with food insecurities, etc.. working with underprivileged kids in a youth sports league, or with disabled kids at a camp. Things that stretch your experiences and encourage you to deal with all kinds of people.
I help with messaging on getting back to screening and we are trying to find ways to reduce barriers to screening like lack of healthcare coverage and people who don't have doctors. We also work on youth engagement.

I want to help the underserved in my community back home, but I am not at home. My college is in a wealthy college town, and there aren't many opportunities for that kind of thing within walking distance. I am able to do the ACS volunteering online, and that is why I chose that opportunity.

No offense but it is kind of bold of you to assume that it would be out of my comfort zone to "deal" with homeless and food insecure people. I have been food insecure my whole life and saw/talked to homeless people daily in my hometown. I have been almost homeless several times, and the only thing that keeps my family back home off the streets is the fact that our rental house is such a dump that if we were evicted our landlord would have to spend thousands of dollars to renovate before someone else would pursue a rental contract. Also he has a crush on my grandmother and it's gross but it's definitely helped our situation. Working with disabled children would not be out of my comfort zone either, my mother is a school bus driver for children with special needs, and we visit her kids a lot (with parent permission of course) when the kids get lonely and want to see a familiar face.

I really have an issue of location and transportation. I don't have money for a car to travel somewhere that needs volunteers a lot more than my college town does, I didn't even have money for textbooks and my boyfriend had to buy them for me, lol. I do get what you're saying, though. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Sorry I offended you. I was trying to explain what is expected of applicants. What have you done for your clinical experiences(can be paid or volunteer)? Are they direct face to face experiences with the sick, injured or dying? I know you are hopeful to get some shadowing with a pediatrician. That will be good. But don’t apply without expected experiences. Applying to med school is a crap,shoot. Every year only around 40% of all applicants are accepted to any medical school and of that number about 20% are accepted to only one school. You want to build the best possible application possible to give yourself the best chance possible. Good luck on your MCAT.

Sorry I offended you. I was trying to explain what is expected of applicants. What have you done for your clinical experiences(can be paid or volunteer)? Are they direct face to face experiences with the sick, injured or dying? I know you are hopeful to get some shadowing with a pediatrician. That will be good. But don’t apply without expected experiences. Applying to med school is a crap,shoot. Every year only around 40% of all applicants are accepted to any medical school and of that number about 20% are accepted to only one school. You want to build the best possible application possible to give yourself the best chance possible. Good luck on your MCAT.
You didn't offend me too bad. I did feel a little defensive, though, and I apologize! Thank you for taking the time to help me. Tone is hard to convey over the internet as well. I have worked as a nurse's aide (the 400 hours), doing normal cna work with patients (dressing, cleaning, feeding, walking to different rooms, etc.) And my clinical volunteering was in a hospice home, doing similar work with people who have less than three months to live (except I had the added duty of drug passing, which cnas aren't allowed to do). Thanks for the good luck.

You didn't offend me too bad. I did feel a little defensive, though, and I apologize! Thank you for taking the time to help me. Tone is hard to convey over the internet as well. I have worked as a nurse's aide (the 400 hours), doing normal cna work with patients (dressing, cleaning, feeding, walking to different rooms, etc.) And my clinical volunteering was in a hospice home, doing similar work with people who have less than three months to live (except I had the added duty of drug passing, which cnas aren't allowed to do). Thanks for the good luck.
Your CNA work is very good. And you have plenty of hours. And personally(not an ADCOM) I think volunteering at a hospice is wonderful. Not everyone can do that effectively and most people don’t even want to consider it.

FYI When you interview do not bring up that you are allowed to pass drugs. While you think this is impressive it is above your pay grade. Obviously it’s an internal decision made by your hospital or hospice center. So just don’t talk about it.

Last edited:
Or should I do a SMP?
Your app is strong pending an equally competitive MCAT. As others have said, an SMP would be a complete waste.

At this point, the only reason to do a gap year is if there is something you really want to do before you enter the decade-ish of training involved in med school/residency(/fellowship). Since your app is strong, that "something" can be anything (continue research that you find intellectually compelling, travel, get married, spend a year in your 20s doing something more low-key, whatever). If that's you, and you're cool with losing a year of attending salary, then you don't need to justify your reasons to anyone but yourself.

Your CNA work is very good. And you have plenty of hours. And personally(not an ADCOM) I think volunteering at a hospice is wonderful. Not everyone can do that effectively and most people don’t even want to consider it.

FYI When you interview do not bring up that you are allowed to pass drugs. While you think this is impressive it is above your pay grade. Obviously it’s an internal decision made by your hospital or hospice center. So just don’t talk about it.
Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't exactly say I am proud of it, it's just something we do because of how we do things, but if they asked my duties I might have brought it up without the warning. I think we are allowed to as volunteers because it is a home and not a facility, and is classified as non-medical and non-nursing and doesn't have to meet the same standards, but I will leave it out just in case.