Am I running out of time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittleMikey

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Until recently, I was not aware exactly how the primary application process is done. I assumed that as long as I got my primary apps in before the deadline, I would be fine. Although recently I was explained that as each school receives by AMCAS application, they will send me a secondary immediately. I was also told that once schools have sent out all their secondaries, then I'm basically out of luck. My question is how late is too late? I am intending to get my AMCAS app done as soon as possible, though I haven't even started on it yet. I am also putting in a lot of hours studying for the August MCAT and don't think I will be able to get the AMCAS application done until the end of August (after the MCAT). Will this hurt my chances a lot? Or will I be too late at any schools? Any help on this issue would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

well littlemike,

u def r gona be late for this app cycle b/c u won't have ur mcat score til maybe middle of october and most schoolz ain't gonna look at ur app til they get ur mcat scores. but i guess its still good to try and submit ur amcas ASAP after ur aug mcats. good luck

Many applicants will be in your same position, so don't worry too much. Submit the AMCAS application as soon as possible. Some schools will send out secondaries even before your MCAT scores are back. This way, once the MCAT scores are released, your application will be complete.

Besides the AMCAS application, be sure that you have professors/supervisors lined up for letters of recommendation. Most schools ask for between 3 and 4 letters from people familiar with your academic work. This will be sent with the secondaries although they shoud be sent directly from the recommender or a letter service.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second mpp's post. There will be plenty of other applicants that submit AMCAS post-August MCAT. You won't be late. Late is submitting late September and October. Don't worry about this now and let it interfere w/ your MCAT performance. Just make sure you send in your transcripts to AAMC now, so that they won't delay the processing of your application. Good luck.

It's nothing to worry about - it may actually be good that you've been studying for the august mcat instead of worrying about amcas.

- Do, however, start working on your personal statement as soon as possible

- Start filling out the primary application online.

- Get ahold of MSAR to decide which schools to apply to (most people do between 10-20).

- Ask your professors for letters of recommendation now, too.

Good luck! :)

honestly - you really need to hustle. I turned in my apps late last year.... and ummmm... I'm here again. its a huge disadvantage because once the bulk of the application wave hits - schools are going to be swamped and ints going to take forever to get back a secondary.
so just start now - fill in the first couple sections of the AMCAS application (grades, extracurriculars, bio...) that stuff takes time, but is basically brainless. so get start on that NOW!!! it'll only take a couple of hours. also start thinking about your essay...
I know you've got MCATs and all - but there is no point in doing phenomenally on them, only to be cut out of the application process by applying late.
Also there is a secondary application post floating around here which I started. that has secondaries for a decent number of schools, so you can at least start work on your secondaries before they arrive
good luck with everything:)

The adcoms won't look at your completed file until they have your aug MCAT scores, but you should get everything done beforehand so then the only thing holding you back is them waiting for your MCAT scores. You shouldn't have that much of a problem because a lot of people take the aug MCAT who are applying this year, so maybe you'll only be at a slight disadvantage.