Am I screwed? Academic misconduct (citation/references mismatch) on research proposal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UptempoCat5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I recently got removed from my Honors research class because I improperly cited sources in my research proposal. Here is a detailed description:

I was dumb enough to procrastinate on my honors research proposal, and started typing it 2 days before it was due (although I typed out a brief outline a few weeks earlier).
As I was searching for and reading scientific journals, I downloaded them to my iPad in case I would like to refer to them later. Some of these papers weren't used at all in the proposal but were downloaded anyway because I found them interesting. Because of the time constraint, I decided to type up everything first, then cite later because I thought it would be faster. By 5 AM the day it's due, I started adding my references. I was running out of time and was tired so I did a sloppy job citing, and something like this happened several times in the proposal:

Information from source A (cited source B instead of source A, in other words, a citation mismatch).
I even ended up citing papers that I never used for writing my research proposal like so:
Used information from research papers A, B, D, F, G, but had research papers A, C, D, F, and H in both my references and in-line citations.

Needless to say, I was shocked when I received my marked-up paper back because I didn't know that my professor would go into such detail looking over each student's proposal to enforce the school's academic integrity policy.
Fortunately, I wasn't expelled from the school, just simply taken out of the class halfway through the semester (and obviously the Honors program as well).
Do I still have a chance at medical school? It's already towards the end of my junior year, but I learned from this and will never procrastinate again and will always properly document sources even if it means turning in a paper late.

Members don't see this ad.

IF this is not on your transcript, you're OK. If it is, then you're in trouble. The "I was pressed for time and so did a sloppy job" excuse isn't going to do you any favors. Note that I wrote "you're in trouble" as opposed to "this is lethal".

That said, if you don't apply, then your rejection rate will be 100%. Sometimes you have to try an app cycle and see how things shape out, wart and all. But always have a Plan B.

Reactions: 1 users
IF this is not on your transcript, you're OK. If it is, then you're in trouble. The "I was pressed for time and so did a sloppy job" excuse isn't going to do you any favors. Note that I wrote "you're in trouble" as opposed to "this is lethal".

That said, if you don't apply, then your rejection rate will be 100%. Sometimes you have to try an app cycle and see how things shape out, wart and all. But always have a Plan B.
It's not the kind of thing where five to ten years of exemplary behavior are needed to even be considered with this on his transcript. If his stats, ECs, and MCAT are good, he might have a good chance at getting this overlooked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I recently got removed from my Honors research class because I improperly cited sources in my research proposal. Here is a detailed description:

I was dumb enough to procrastinate on my honors research proposal, and started typing it 2 days before it was due (although I typed out a brief outline a few weeks earlier).
As I was searching for and reading scientific journals, I downloaded them to my iPad in case I would like to refer to them later. Some of these papers weren't used at all in the proposal but were downloaded anyway because I found them interesting. Because of the time constraint, I decided to type up everything first, then cite later because I thought it would be faster. By 5 AM the day it's due, I started adding my references. I was running out of time and was tired so I did a sloppy job citing, and something like this happened several times in the proposal:

Information from source A (cited source B instead of source A, in other words, a citation mismatch).
I even ended up citing papers that I never used for writing my research proposal like so:
Used information from research papers A, B, D, F, G, but had research papers A, C, D, F, and H in both my references and in-line citations.

Needless to say, I was shocked when I received my marked-up paper back because I didn't know that my professor would go into such detail looking over each student's proposal to enforce the school's academic integrity policy.
Fortunately, I wasn't expelled from the school, just simply taken out of the class halfway through the semester (and obviously the Honors program as well).
Do I still have a chance at medical school? It's already towards the end of my junior year, but I learned from this and will never procrastinate again and will always properly document sources even if it means turning in a paper late.
The question is if you had academic infraction placed on your record or not.

You have to disclose Institutional Actions. It doesn't matter if its on your transcript or not, or this or that.

Call your Code of Conduct Office and ask them at the school if its an institutional action.

My guess is that its an institutional action and you have to report it.

Most medical schools don't about infractions unless they're violent or academic (plagiarism, cheating, etc.).

However, if its an institutional action, just report it and move on. For example, if you were to not get accepted, and reapply a year or so later, and don't have anything on your record, then they will take your maturity into account.