Am I Screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halaljello

Hot Oil
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
im a finance major with a 3.9/4.0 science gpa...but my over all gpa is 3.6 and am VERY interested in osteopathy...but mcat practice exams scores suck majorily..(4v 6p 8b)....im takin princeton and takin the real mcat in april...(so that i dont have to pay 1200 for takin princeton again in summer) but i probably wont do as well as i want to on it so i might end up takin it in august too.

2 questions:

1. since i have a good science gpa...am I at any type of advantage cuz i heard some schools look at science gpa more closely

2. If i fill out my primaries and get my letters of rec all ready by july 1st or so, and decide to take the mcat again in august...how much of a disadvantage am i goin to be at in the application process?

Honestly, I'm willing to Go to ANY D.O. school because i do have a sincere interest in osteopathy and to practice medicine...

any advice or comments would be appreciated
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to be so blunt, but here goes...

1. DO NOT TAKE THE MCAT UNLESS YOU'RE READY FOR IT!!!! This is not a test you want to have the attitude of, "well, I may do badly this time, but oh well, I'll just take it again." Big mistake. Ideally, you want to have ONE set of good scores to show the adcoms. Furthermore, it's extremely stressful--I've known plenty of people who took it once, did poorly and decided they simply couldn't go through it again. Take it once and ace it, period.

2. Having a good science gpa means almost nothing if your MCAT is bad. Sad but true, high-gpa students w/ bad MCATs are a dime a dozen and don't even get a second look by the adcoms. As one admissions official at my school noted, "mediocre grades MAY keep you out of med school, but mediocre MCATS WILL keep you out. Better to have a medium gpa (~3.4-3.5) and >27-28 MCATS. This should make you competitive for most osteopathic schools.

3. I would suggest that you postpone the April test and instead focus on the August, even though this will put you at a disadvantage time-wise for this year's cycle.

4. Better still, take the exam either this August or next April and apply in June 2002. If your MCATS are shaky, it's even more important that your application be in as early as possible. Applying late (which is what you'd be doing if you take the August exam and apply this year) will be chancy at best if your scores aren't going to be good.

5. Again, do not take the April exam if you're getting scores less than 20 at this late date. I think you'd be wasting your money and digging yourself into a hole regarding your longterm prospects.

Good luck.

Not so blunt, but I second the advice given above.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal experience. I took the fall administration of the MCAT and by the time I received my scores most schools were already starting to fill their class lists. Do I think that you should take the April MCAT if you are truly unprepared? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! You practice scores do not neccessarily reflect your actual scores. For example, I consistently scored less than 30 on my practice scores yet scored above 30 on the real test. I AM NOT TRYING TO BRAG!! Please do not try to accuse me of such!! My point is that taking the fall MCAT has its disadvantages. I only received two D.O. school interviews and was accepted into one school. I had applied to ten schools but my application was late in arriving. The advantage of the fall MACT may, and I repeat may, allow you more time to possibly improve your ACTUAL MCAT score rather than your practice score. Also, for those who are worried about getting into a residency, don't worry.

I second the advice that your practice exams may not reflect the real thing. I took Kaplan for the August MCAT, and my practice tests varied all the time, and ended up doing well. I took the April '00 MCAT, sent my stuff into AACOMAS in July, retook the test in August (after taking Kaplan, April didn't go so well), and still was accepted to my #1 choice DO school. You should definitely take the MCAT when you are ready, but it is not impossible to take it in August and still be accepted for the following year. Just my two cents.

Take it when your ready, and apply on June first.

toran

Hi Kyoung,

sounds pretty impressive. What was your # 1 choice school if u dont mind me asking?

With a 3.6 over all and 3.9 science, what Mcat score would possibly get me in? I've heard some get in with 24's (with the volunteering and ec's, etc)? Thanks

Hallajello-
My #1 choice was MSU-COM. I also was accepted to Arizona and wait-listed at Chicago. My MCAT was 24, 3.6 gpa, 3.6 science, tons of volunteer/leadership experience, and almost two years of hands on pt care (nursing assistant 1 1/2, presently a nutritionist). I believe certain stats get you a foot in the door, but the interview is what makes or breaks you. Good luck!
-k

Halaljello

Your GPA is great, but the MCAT needs to be at least modest, something in the mid twenties.

Once you get your foot in the door--- interview is everything(be your self).

Also apply early.

DO NOT TAKE THE APRIL TEST!