Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgiswag

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster in panic mode. I'm applying to anesthesia this cycle and kind of in a schtick. I did sub par on step 1 with a 215 and even worse on step 2 with a 202. In addition I'm a DO student with a pretty decent comlex 1 of 568 and comlex 2 of 501. I'm in the top 1/3 of the class but as you can see I can be kind of a bad standardized test taker. I honored all my clerkships except for surgery which I got a pass. I have some poster presentations and some good LORs. I applied to about 50 allopathic programs across the nation. With the drop in step 2 am I royally screwed? I know this is an uphill battle. Just lay it on me.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster in panic mode. I'm applying to anesthesia this cycle and kind of in a schtick. I did sub par on step 1 with a 215 and even worse on step 2 with a 202. In addition I'm a DO student with a pretty decent comlex 1 of 568 and comlex 2 of 501. I'm in the top 1/3 of the class but as you can see I can be kind of a bad standardized test taker. I honored all my clerkships except for surgery which I got a pass. I have some poster presentations and some good LORs. I applied to about 50 allopathic programs across the nation. With the drop in step 2 am I royally screwed? I know this is an uphill battle. Just lay it on me.

Thanks.

My honest opinion is that saying you are a bad test taker is a cop-out.

With that being said you will probably be OK if you apply wisely and you may want to add on some "safeties". Good luck.

Your USMLE scores are well below the mean, and average MD anesthesia matches are slightly above the mean, if I recall. Add to that you're a DO. Does that make you screwed? Not screwed, per se, but you'll have to apply to lots of programs. How many? No one knows what the odds are for an applicant with your unique qualifications juxtaposed against the number of slots you apply for, but "lots" is a good start.

If I'd said "yes, royally screwed," would you have given up? Chosen FP instead? If I had said, "No, you're totally fine," would you have cut the # of programs you'd apply to? All that is to say, take anonymous message-board advice with a grain of salt. Your school has people who are paid to know the answers to these sorts of questions and to give you good advice (at least they're supposed to).

Members don't see this ad :)
What are considered "safeties?"

bump.

what are considered "safeties"?

bump.

what are considered "safeties"?

You'll be fine. Lots of people match with your scores. Half of people score at or below average after all. Apply widely. If they offer you interviews, then you have a shot.

Nobody wants to list programs that they view as weaker or less competitive. You can probably guess which they are. Some programs probably provide good training but aren't as competitive if they are in locations that don't draw as many out-of-state applicants.

Based on what I read from below avg DO applicants last year, you might wanna increase that app number to ~70.

You can always add more later but can't go back and apply to more earlier.