Am I still considered in-state for California?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredocsquared17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from California, and I have lived there my whole life. My parents continue to live there. From 2016-2017, I lived in New York and worked as a teacher while also attending graduate school for a masters in education. Since I paid taxes in New York in 2017, will I be considered out of state for California schools?

If I am considered out of state, it puts me in a terrible position because all my safety schools are in-state and none have them gotten back to me yet for interviews. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re living and working and paying taxes in NY, you’re almost certainly not a CA resident for admission and tuition purposes. If you haven’t been in NY long enough, you might not be a resident yet there either.
Each state has its own definition of what “in state resident” entails.
Google will find these for you, perhaps on the school sites as well.

--
Il Destriero

I am from California, and I have lived there my whole life. My parents continue to live there. From 2016-2017, I lived in New York and worked as a teacher while also attending graduate school for a masters in education. Since I paid taxes in New York in 2017, will I be considered out of state for California schools?

If I am considered out of state, it puts me in a terrible position because all my safety schools are in-state and none have them gotten back to me yet for interviews. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I’m not certain about your situation, but isn’t being an in-stater for Cali a BAD thing? Thought there were no “safeties” in CA based on how much I’ve seen SDNers gripe about being from Cali aka worst state to be premed in.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you! I was just hoping I was considered to be in-state for the admissions process. I now live in Georgia, so I know I probably wont receive in-state tuition if I do end up getting into a cali med school.

There is no such thing as in-state in California. It won't make a difference either way; it is way too competitive and they only pick the bests.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah....
you are definitely not going to want to be considered in state cali. i know so many californians who have no luck with medical school even though they have great stats

be careful what you wish for lol

Reactions: 1 user
Just to add, since each state may have a definition for each specific purpose (ie admission, tuition, etc), it is possible not be a resident of any state
that's not cool, how can one be not a resident of any state? Not fair so much

? What schools are your safeties??

You're oos for calif. Once you got your bachelors and began working full time in NY, you lost your Calif residency for instate purposes.

@throw_away5122 that's not true. There certainly is an instate bias for most or all Calif admissions to uc med schools. Even ones that accept a good number of oos, still interview/accept a disproportionate number of CA residents compared to oos. And i haven't checked lately, but UC Davis accepts few or no oos students unless they're md/PhDs

? What schools are your safeties??

You're oos for calif. Once you got your bachelors and began working full time in NY, you lost your Calif residency for instate purposes.

@throw_away5122 that's not true. There certainly is an instate bias for most or all Calif admissions to uc med schools. Even ones that accept a good number of oos, still interview/accept a disproportionate number of CA residents compared to oos. And i haven't checked lately, but UC Davis accepts few or no oos students unless they're md/PhDs
You are technically correct, but also misleading. What @throw_away5122 said is correct in that unlike other states, being IS for CA doesn't really bare fruit like in many other places. CA has the highest number of applicants of any state and therefore, despite having a bias towards them. Last year they have 6,400 applicants (over 10% of the entire country) but there are only 6 UC schools.

Even if you are a resident, the UCs want you to be a true resident. I moved to LA after undergrad and lived there for 8 years before applying, nearly 1/3rd of my whole life, and I still didn't any benefit.

I will say this about OP. Even though in the most technical sense he isn't a CA resident, his app will show that the majority of his life was as a CA resident and that he most likely still identifies as such. The whole point of state preference is retention of quality students who will live and work in the state. OP has those connections and his tax status in NY will not impact him.

Reactions: 1 user
that's not cool, how can one be not a resident of any state? Not fair so much

Happens all the time to ex-pats who aren't abroad for purposes where they'd keep their instate residency (for example, military families keep their state residency no matter where they're stationed.)

I had a similar problem— Texas resident my whole life then lived in Cali for 11 months while working at a non profit. Texas schools are pretty hard and fast about what is considered an IS applicant. What helped me is that it was only 11 months (I don’t know how much this actually helps) and that my parents had claimed me as a dependent for 2016 taxes because I was still a student for most of that year— both of which allowed me to be considered IS for this cycle, even though I paid taxes in CA. Ask your parents how they filed their taxes? Do you still have Cali license or registered to vote there? Also what might help is emailing AMCAS or directly calling the admissions office of a specific school in CA and asking about their IS determination procedure

You are technically correct, but also misleading. What @throw_away5122 said is correct in that unlike other states, being IS for CA doesn't really bare fruit like in many other places. CA has the highest number of applicants of any state and therefore, despite having a bias towards them. Last year they have 6,400 applicants (over 10% of the entire country) but there are only 6 UC schools.

Even if you are a resident, the UCs want you to be a true resident. I moved to LA after undergrad and lived there for 8 years before applying, nearly 1/3rd of my whole life, and I still didn't any benefit.

I will say this about OP. Even though in the most technical sense he isn't a CA resident, his app will show that the majority of his life was as a CA resident and that he most likely still identifies as such. The whole point of state preference is retention of quality students who will live and work in the state. OP has those connections and his tax status in NY will not impact him.

As a Californian, I'm well aware of the challenges that Calif applicants face - way too many applicants, not enough instate seats. Very unlucky state. That still does not mean that there isn't an instate preference. The filters may be tougher for OOS students. Just because an instate applicant didn't have success does not mean that his/her application was treated the same as an OOS student's. The OOS student's app with the same stats may have never been looked at. JMHO the UCs accept OOS students who help their goals/profile in some way. For example, they may weight GPA more than MCAT for their instate applicants, but then to prevent a 'hit' to their reported numbers, they may grab some high MCAT OOS students to balance things out. My point is that OOS applicants have an even lesser chance of acceptance than instate applicants.

As a Californian, I'm well aware of the challenges that Calif applicants face - way too many applicants, not enough instate seats. Very unlucky state. That still does not mean that there isn't an instate preference. The filters may be tougher for OOS students. Just because an instate applicant didn't have success does not mean that his/her application was treated the same as an OOS student's. The OOS student's app with the same stats may have never been looked at. JMHO the UCs accept OOS students who help their goals/profile in some way. For example, they may weight GPA more than MCAT for their instate applicants, but then to prevent a 'hit' to their reported numbers, they may grab some high MCAT OOS students to balance things out. My point is that OOS applicants have an even lesser chance of acceptance than instate applicants.
Do you guys even know how many immigrants try to go to California each year? Those are super smart Chinese, Japanese and Indian students fighting for those spot here. That is not to mentions thousand and thousand of Asian students who study day and night since the 5th grade in USC, UCLA, Berkely.... Good luck to compete with them.
I just wanna say your California residence does not mean swat to UC med school. California residence even with high stats have better chance to match OOS than instate

JMHO the UCs accept OOS students who help their goals/profile in some way. For example, they may weight GPA more than MCAT for their instate applicants, but then to prevent a 'hit' to their reported numbers, they may grab some high MCAT OOS students to balance things out. My point is that OOS applicants have an even lesser chance of acceptance than instate applicants.
That's pretty standard for all IS programs. They will always balance IS quotas that may favor lower stats with OOS applicants with higher stats as a way to balance things. I wasn't trying to imply that it's the wild west for all applicants in CA. I think we're on the same page there. Just more saying that IS applicants in CA don't have the same advantages an IS applicant in Fl does simply because of the volume of applicants. For OP, even though he is OOS technically, his AMCAS will show he was born there, and his parents still live there. He may not get IS tuition, but an AdCom would still be able to see that he's more a CA resident than NY (I would hope).