am i still in the game?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandhar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i am a DO hopeful just like many others here. I have applied to LECOM and AZCOM. My application was complete about 8 weeks ago at both places. Both schools have told me that the application is in the process of being reviewed. They have told me that the last two times. My gpa is 3.15 and my MCAT is 22. I am getting very nervous. Do you guys think i am still in the game or lights out?
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom
peace.

Members don't see this ad.

Need to know what other things you did in undegrad.. Research, volunteering, ect..

I have and still am volunteering at the university hospital in the disharge planning unit. I have volunteered at a pre-school for children with special needs. I was like a home nurse to my mother who suffered from cancer for 2 years, during my undergrad years. I monitored her diet, gave her medication and spent countless hours with her at the hospital. Her sickness contributed to my not so good first two years of undergrad academically speaking, but my last two years there is a big increase in GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied 3 times.

1st time--didn't hear anything until May.
2nd time--interviewed in February. They called in December to set it up.
3rd time--didn't hear anything until 11 months after submitting my app (not a typo, eleven months). Interviewed. Got in.

Relax, friend. The app process can only be described as "A PAIN IN THE ASS". Just make sure they have all your info. and if anything changes, you tell them right away. Good luck.

Don't ever give up hope. I went to a community college, had many W's on my transcript, and 2 F's. And I just received my acceptance letter. I too had a rough time when my mother was diagnosed with cancer, I understand what type of impact it can have on academics. My advice would be to write a letter to the schools explaining your personal situation and desire to attend that particular school. Also, if you have no luck this year, apply to more schools next year and try the MCAT again. Set your sights on a 26 or higher. Best of luck to you.

Monkey and Justin,

I'm in a similar boat with respect to having a sick mother (kidney failure). Where did you guys get accepted? Mind telling your stats and "stuff"?

Thanks.

Best wishes and congrats on the acceptances!

Atlas

Monkey,

I see you're from St. Louis? Are you from there originally? Where do you go to school?

I didn't realize so many people were in the same boat as me either. All last fall I took care of my mom when she was dying of kidney cancer. It really changed a lot of how I see medicine. Glad to know you guys are still trying to get in, too. It was hard to talk about what I did for her at interviews, but all my interviewers seemed to want to know about the experience. If you let them know and they see these types of experiences correlating with bad grades or W's (I have 6 W's from when it took doctors 8 months to dx my smouldering appendicitis), they are more lenient with you when they are making their final decision about your app.

hang in there Kadyra, i know u'll make it...best wishes...Malik

hang in there Kadyra, i know u'll make it...best wishes...Malik

Thanks Malik :) I've been accepted at AZCOM, UHS-COM, and KCOM (the three DO schools I applied to). I'll be attending AZCOM unless the University of Arizona comes through at the last minute for me. This is my second year applying to MD school, and my first time applying to DO school. So sandhar, there really is hope for all of us :)

Lived in STL and surrounding area for over 10 years. Tucker's is my favorite restaurant and I hung out at Blueberry Hill a lot.

I now live in Kirksville, MO. I'll give you 1 guess why.

Monkey,

You wouldn't be going to school there by any chance?