Am I the only DumAss?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tintin007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How come every one of this board are scoring 30+ (Real MCAT + Diags)
and most of the guys scoring12+ on verbal am I the only dum ass here scoring in lower 20s on my diags ?
If 80% of the MCAT takers score below 30 where are these people ?

Members don't see this ad.

tintin007 said:
and most of the guys scoring12+ on verbal am I the only dum ass here scoring in lower 20s on my diags ?
most of them don't get on SDN :) but the best way to increase your score now is to do MANY practice questions. forget reviewing. but actually do questions and make sure u understand why u got it right/wrong. u should know that SDN is for the motivated people. lol. and ur one of us :)

tintin007 said:

hey-- i scored a 21 on my last diag but i still plan on getting at least a 30 on the real thing. we still have 6 weeks! there's plenty of time to boost your score.

scored about 24 on the 3R(diagnostic) which everyone calls super easy and about the same on the free online TPR which only gives out percentage scores.

If I do 20 problems in the EK 1001 series and get half wrong I don't sweat it. I just review all the problems I got wrong and try them again a couple days later. The ones I get wrong a 2nd time I review and try them again a couple days later...

Try not to worry about everyone else's score. I imagine that the people who score well are more likely to post their scores.

And I ain't stupid and stuff!!

Members don't see this ad :)
9 and 8 on 8 on the "easiest mcat know to man" according to everyone here ,the 3R, very disappointing, and than a 6 on the PS of full lenght 7 of kaplan 55 wrong so how about them apple's for ya

tintin007 said:

most of those people just don't want to say their scores, that's all. the people who have no problem posting their scores are usually only the ones doing well...

edit: this isn't true for every single person on here though. this is just my guess as to why you see more 30+ mcat scores and super mdapplicants profiles posted.

Misty said:
most of those people just don't want to say their scores, that's all. the people who have no problem posting their scores are usually only the ones doing well...

edit: this isn't true for every single person on here though. this is just my guess as to why you see more 30+ mcat scores and super mdapplicants profiles posted.

It's true, many people below 27-28 do not like to post their scores. I scored 26R on last April's test and did even worse on my diags last year.. I hesitated posting my scores when all these other people were posting their 30+ diag scores. Just remember, the national average is around 25-26, so most people fall into that category when you look at the bell curve.

I'm a ******* too! I have been get 23-25's on my practice tests, but WTF I got an 18 on TPR online free test, I think it was because I took the test in the lobby of my dorm....bad idea, stupid people playing crappy pop songs on out of tune guitars, not the best food for thought.

anyway, I also know some kids in my program, who are super smart and who have only been getting about 20's on the practice tests.

i think we only hear from the people who get 30's because nobody else wants to speak up. I mean, if I get a 23 on the test, and someone posts saying they got a 33 I'm not gonna want to speak up and look like an idiot!

Hang in there though....it will all soon be over, so just buckle down and practice practice practice!

stoleyerscrubz said:
If I do 20 problems in the EK 1001 series and get half wrong I don't sweat it. I just review all the problems I got wrong and try them again a couple days later.
Yeah, I do the same. I look at the EK 1001 (and even the 30 min. exams) as part of the learning process. I don't mind getting tripped up on some questions, since as long as you review, and understand the corrects A's, you should be good for the real thing.

I know exactly what you mean. I got an 18 on the diag and a 22 on the first full length. I have been able to raise my score to a 25 on the second FL. 6 weeks left, and with lots of practice tests and room to improve i am shooting for a 30. You arent the only one so keep it up!!

Just so you know, I took Kaplan a few years ago...got a 21 (7,7,7) on my diagnostic. Got a 27 on the real thing...now waiting for the match (as a 4th year) and have the Mayo Clinic as my first choice for residency. This is just a lesson that I, too, am a dumb ass.

Z

Amen brothers and sisters!!

I have a Ph.D. in cell biology and have only been able to get straight 9s on any one section in my best practice session!! That darn organic chem!!!! :eek:

Best wishes to all!!!

place said:
I know exactly what you mean. I got an 18 on the diag and a 22 on the first full length. I have been able to raise my score to a 25 on the second FL. 6 weeks left, and with lots of practice tests and room to improve i am shooting for a 30. You arent the only one so keep it up!!

I'm in this boat :scared: ! I also got an 18 diag, but only 20 FFL. Praying for HUGE improvement to 33 :thumbup: I know the material, but the question stems are still difficult for me to grasp. I think that the afore mentioned advise about re-evaluation of answer thought will work. 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33...... :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
no worries man, dont' fret, just keep on truckin and in 6 weeks, you'll see nice score that reflects the work you put into it.

I'm a ******* too!! I've been taking practice exams and my scores are going down.... 26 (3hour Kaplan diag 9P, 9V, 8B), 22 (AAMC3r 8B, 7P, 7V), 18 (6V, 6P, 6B TPRA), 18 (AAMC4r/ran out of time 6P, 5V, 7B), and 18 (TPRB 6V,5B, 7P). Is this normal??? WHY THE FLUCTUATIONS!!! I go over the problems!! AHHH!!! I'm shooting for 27 in the real thing (I'm being realistic and maybe I could just proove myself wrong).

PLUS we have to remember that these diags are just practice... they aren't the real thing... I bet if we are in the real situation taking the MCAT we would definitely pour our brains.... :D

Anyways, keep going you guys. I know alot of people here are getting 30+ in the diags already but we are still in the game. Keep good faith in yourself and make sure you take some time to relax. I know that it rejuvenates you (but if you are like me freaking out while relaxing is normal).

GOOD LUCK 3 1/2 more weeks left!!!!!!

edit: this post done by a fellow SDNer at my work accidentally without logging off my account, im a pre allo person and took the mcat two years ago...anyway best of luck all!

To ease your concerns, I have found many inconsistencies on the SDN boards where people admit they are scoring in the 30's, but accidentally revealed that they are truly scoring lower. Many are lying (simply putting a score up they hope to get to find out where others are scoring), some are looking at all the dumb mistakes they made and adding it back onto their scores!! Some say, "I have a 12 in verbal reasoning, and then comment on how they are having so much trouble." I have even seen people saying that EK verbal 101 are easier than the real MCAT (i.e. they earn 12/13 on EK 101 tests but seem to earn 8/9 on practice MCAT's). The immature find comfort in people praising them. Don't worry, keep working hard and on test day you will get the job done. As the test approaches, more people will vomit their worries onto the board about how they were earning 30's on EK/Kaplan/TPR tests and on AAMC they can't get over 25!! You see, you can write a book on psychology of discussion boards and how people will exaggerate the truth when they don't have to prove their results!! Once again, don't worry about it, and work hard.

opinionkitten said:
I'm a ******* too!! I've been taking practice exams and my scores are going down.... 26 (3hour Kaplan diag 9P, 9V, 8B), 22 (AAMC3r 8B, 7P, 7V), 18 (6V, 6P, 6B TPRA), 18 (AAMC4r/ran out of time 6P, 5V, 7B), and 18 (TPRB 6V,5B, 7P). Is this normal??? WHY THE FLUCTUATIONS!!! I go over the problems!! AHHH!!! I'm shooting for 27 in the real thing (I'm being realistic and maybe I could just proove myself wrong).

PLUS we have to remember that these diags are just practice... they aren't the real thing... I bet if we are in the real situation taking the MCAT we would definitely pour our brains.... :D

Anyways, keep going you guys. I know alot of people here are getting 30+ in the diags already but we are still in the game. Keep good faith in yourself and make sure you take some time to relax. I know that it rejuvenates you (but if you are like me freaking out while relaxing is normal).

GOOD LUCK 3 1/2 more weeks left!!!!!!

i'm going insane. i go to mdapplicants online to find out how many people with a gpa like mine got accepted into a med school. apparently, i need at least a 33. i got a 30 on the 3R, not knowing it was supposed to be easy. i just took the 6R yesterday and scored 25.
i didn't even want to get out of bed today. i'm on friggin spring break and i decided not to go home so i could study. my future looks bleak. and no, i'm not boosting my scores.

you are not alone opinionkitten, I was thinking that It was only me that is a *******. I cant seems to improve that much, and I am already sick of studying for the stupid test. I went to my doctor for checkup and he told me that my blood pressure is about 150, and that I should stop thinking too much. How can I stop thinking when this bell in my head keeps ringing and telling me how dumb I am. my aamc 3R was BS 6 VR 7 PS 7. 4R was BS 7 VR 9 PS 8. My 5R score will probably be lower when I take the dame thing. I read about guys scoring in the 30s and I wonder how they do it. I understand the concept of the subjects but I cant seems to score higher. I will probably be one of those students that have high GPA in school but cant seems to score more than 20 on the mcat. Since I registered for the mcat, I cant seems to sleep at night without sleep aid. I am constantly thinking what my score is going to be on the stupid test, and with my bad luck I will end up having a heart attack.

Don't do this because eventually whatever you are using will not work (if that has not happened already). It will then be even harder to sleep. And don't mess around with sleeping aids the night before the MCAT.

Start working out or find something else to do to wind down at night.

We are all probably having problems sleeping at night. I know I did after my AAMC 5R on Saturday.

cliff MD said:
Since I registered for the mcat, I cant seems to sleep at night without sleep aid.

i had problems sleeping after my last FL 3 (kaplan). i was up til 4:30am on Saturday night for no good reason, considering i was drunk.

:rolleyes:

It's true that the practice passages can be a kick in the ego. But, I'm trying to remind myself that it's not meant to make you feel good. Rather, just keep learning from them. Even though the MCAT's coming up quick, it's still very possible to improve. Keep taking the passages.

From one dumb-ass to another: My diag was a bleak 19. So yea..i think we're all in the same boat. :)

hallelujah! i am glad to know tht i am not alone! yeah, i was completely getting down on myself on my lack of 30+ score and, to boot, looking at the sdn board was not boosting my sense of confidence and morale in the slightest. from reading the posted scores, i seriously started freaking out and started becoming a nervous wreck a few days ago. ...let's just all hope that with all the hard work we will put in for the next weeks will pay off. that's all that we can do. :luck:

by the way, what are you guys using for practice problems. i feel like i have used up all the aamc tests i have and have no practice problems left.... should i just go over the ones i did badly on??

Nothing helps me get to sleep better than trying to study. :sleep:

Try it... it might work for you too!!! :laugh:

Seriously, your scores are fine unless you live in California.

DrMojorisin said:
Nothing helps me get to sleep better than trying to study. :sleep:

Try it... it might work for you too!!! :laugh:

Seriously, your scores are fine unless you live in California.

can you explain what you mean by "unless you live in California"?

sunnymed said:
can you explain what you mean by "unless you live in California"?

b/c california schools are so competitive, it is much more difficult to get in than a state school in almost any other state. :(

cliff MD said:
you are not alone opinionkitten, I was thinking that It was only me that is a *******. I cant seems to improve that much, and I am already sick of studying for the stupid test. I went to my doctor for checkup and he told me that my blood pressure is about 150, and that I should stop thinking too much. How can I stop thinking when this bell in my head keeps ringing and telling me how dumb I am. my aamc 3R was BS 6 VR 7 PS 7. 4R was BS 7 VR 9 PS 8. My 5R score will probably be lower when I take the dame thing. I read about guys scoring in the 30s and I wonder how they do it. I understand the concept of the subjects but I cant seems to score higher. I will probably be one of those students that have high GPA in school but cant seems to score more than 20 on the mcat. Since I registered for the mcat, I cant seems to sleep at night without sleep aid. I am constantly thinking what my score is going to be on the stupid test, and with my bad luck I will end up having a heart attack.

You know..I was in your shoes a couple of months ago when I was studying for April MCAT. I start to get depress when I go down a point...and it made me keep going down. Then my kaplan teacher was like.." dude..the more depress you get ..the worse you'll do..and it's a slippery slope from there"...I decided he was right..such a relief to hear him say it's ok that your scores fluctuate. Now I'm telling you. Don't let this get you down. Think 38 38 38..and then you'll improve...seriously..it sounds dumb but it worked for me..granted I don't think I got a 38..it sure boost my spirit up and I went from 23 diagnostic to 34 on practice exams. :)

I definetly agree with ya there. I think the first few weeks of studying for the MCAT was by far one of the most stressful times in my life. But once I got over that peak, it was smooth sailing...relatively speaking. I was still in the library every night till like 1 or 2 but i wasnt stressed so that was good. You just have to keep with it, dont fall back, and dont stress. Easier said than done, but seriously, there will be much more testing in the future! Get used to it. Its a large part of becoming a doctor. (Also easier said than done :) ) The point is that it really seems like a huge challenge to overcome, but its just a test. Study hard and you'll do fine...

yay! finally a thread i can relate too. wooooo!!!!! damn mcat, can't sleep anymore cuz i'm so stupid.

sunnymed said:
hallelujah! i am glad to know tht i am not alone! yeah, i was completely getting down on myself on my lack of 30+ score and, to boot, looking at the sdn board was not boosting my sense of confidence and morale in the slightest. from reading the posted scores, i seriously started freaking out and started becoming a nervous wreck a few days ago. ...let's just all hope that with all the hard work we will put in for the next weeks will pay off. that's all that we can do. :luck:

by the way, what are you guys using for practice problems. i feel like i have used up all the aamc tests i have and have no practice problems left.... should i just go over the ones i did badly on??

Thank God for this thread! Reading SDN board was definitely starting to make me get down on myself! My confidence is crashing. Hearing all of these people talk about how they are expecting to score in the mid-thirties is devastating! Honestly, the closer it gets to the release of our scores the more I am thinking I'd be happy with 8s and 9s for each section! Especially, since I REALLY do not want to go through that again in August!

Anyway, only about 3 more days to wait! Good luck everyone!