Am I too late for HPSP? Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Axiomatician

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am interested in applying for the AF HPSP.

Not gonna go into detail about my interest, but I will say I have always respected military and I think the HPSP is something I want to pursue now.

Is it too late to go to a recruiting office and get the ball rolling?

Members don't see this ad.

The board has not met yet for the AF HPSP, but in my opinion it is getting late. For example, my recruiter told me the board is in December this year and that he wants me to have everything in by next week (Oct 13). I do however think this is just a deadline he set for me so that my packet get in early. I would contact a recruiter ASAP and find out from them because it is a lengthy process. Getting medically qualified will be your biggest obstacle, mainly because it can be a lengthy process in itself and if you don't pass that you can not apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Also just looking into it now. I'm waiting for my recruiter to get back to me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Army isn't too late but you gotta get moving

Hey all,

I am interested in applying for the AF HPSP.

Not gonna go into detail about my interest, but I will say I have always respected military and I think the HPSP is something I want to pursue now.

Is it too late to go to a recruiting office and get the ball rolling?

Yes, Army Board is in January I believe. (was supposed to be December) If you get started now, you should make it. Did you happen to contact any recruiters yet (any branch)?

Yes, Army Board is in January I believe. (was supposed to be December) If you get started now, you should make it. Did you happen to contact any recruiters yet (any branch)?
Army isn't too late but you gotta get moving

It has been over a week since I first posted, mainly because I have been moving. I got the ball rolling and I hope to have all my information minus the health info. into my recruiter within another week.

Medical info is the biggest time gap by far.

I think I will be able to have everything completed before December 1st, but I don't know if that is good enough for the recruiters.

It's doable but you better have everything else besides medical in and hope your recruiter is a star like mine was. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
It has been over a week since I first posted, mainly because I have been moving. I got the ball rolling and I hope to have all my information minus the health info. into my recruiter within another week.

Medical info is the biggest time gap by far.

I think I will be able to have everything completed before December 1st, but I don't know if that is good enough for the recruiters.

Why is the medical info hindering you? If you have any disorders, you may require more paperwork with a waiver even after you go through the MEPS physical. Just get everything in as fast as humanly possible.

Does anyone here know what the actual deadline date was for the AF HPSP 4-year this 2017 cycle? And when was it that the board met and notified their decisions? I just want to compare and plan for the next cycle this year, I'm applying for dental school and the AF HPSP 4-year this summer.

However, I'm running into a timing issue with my recruiter. I keep seeing the end of July or August as being the deadline dates, or maybe I'm just seeing these for the 3-year HPSP. I will be taking my DAT at the end of July (my spring semester ends June 17 so that will only give me a solid 6 weeks to study - hope that'll be enough time). I already contacted the AF Health Professions recruiter and as motivated as I am to put my application package together early and have the DAT score be the last thing needed to send it off, they're not even interested in starting until I give them my DAT score.

I asked about finding a date that I could complete MEPS early because I understand this can cause the biggest delay if waivers or records need to be obtained. They responded that they especially won't register me for MEPS until they see my DAT score is qualifying. So,
  1. is this recruiter screwing me over and gambling with the deadline, or do I really have a little more time past August?
  2. Should I work with another recruiter? This one mentioned they are dealing with 4x the applicants of med students applying for this scholarship, and their boards are twice a year since they can matriculate fall or spring. If anyone is aware of a really great AF recruiter in SoCal (SGV or willing to go OC/LA/SB/Riverside), I'll work with anyone who is willing to keep up with me! ;) I might just walk into a couple SGV offices and feel them each out, pretend I'm inquiring for the first time... put THEM through my own interview process for hire, lol. The recruiter gets a commission for every officer they enlist, right?
  3. I heard somewhere the AF HPSP is a rolling board, but my recruiter told me they don't do that for dental, only med. Can anyone verify that's accurate?
  4. I saw there is no signing bonus for the AF HPSP in recent years, but went to their website and found it says $20,000. Did they just recently add it back because of recent political events, or is there still no signing bonus for dental HPSP?
I'd appreciate any feedback on any of these items. Thanks!

Last edited:
Does anyone here know what the actual deadline date was for the AF HPSP 4-year this 2017 cycle? And when was it that the board met and notified their decisions? I just want to compare and plan for the next cycle this year, I'm applying for dental school and the AF HPSP 4-year this summer.

However, I'm running into a timing issue with my recruiter. I keep seeing the end of July or August as being the deadline dates, or maybe I'm just seeing these for the 3-year HPSP. I will be taking my DAT at the end of July (my spring semester ends June 17 so that will only give me a solid 6 weeks to study - hope that'll be enough time). I already contacted the AF Health Professions recruiter and as motivated as I am to put my application package together early and have the DAT score be the last thing needed to send it off, they're not even interested in starting until I give them my DAT score.

I asked about finding a date that I could complete MEPS early because I understand this can cause the biggest delay if waivers or records need to be obtained. They responded that they especially won't register me for MEPS until they see my DAT score is qualifying. So,
  1. is this recruiter screwing me over and gambling with the deadline, or do I really have a little more time past August?
  2. Should I work with another recruiter? This one mentioned they are dealing with 4x the applicants of med students applying for this scholarship, and their boards are twice a year since they can matriculate fall or spring. If anyone is aware of a really great AF recruiter in SoCal (SGV or willing to go OC/LA/SB/Riverside), I'll work with anyone who is willing to keep up with me! ;) I might just walk into a couple SGV offices and feel them each out, pretend I'm inquiring for the first time... put THEM through my own interview process for hire, lol. The recruiter gets a commission for every officer they enlist, right?
  3. I heard somewhere the AF HPSP is a rolling board, but my recruiter told me they don't do that for dental, only med. Can anyone verify that's accurate?
  4. I saw there is no signing bonus for the AF HPSP in recent years, but went to their website and found it says $20,000. Did they just recently add it back because of recent political events, or is there still no signing bonus for dental HPSP?
I'd appreciate any feedback on any of these items. Thanks!

Hello,
This past cycle the board deadline fell somewhere in November but my recruiter wanted everything done in October. The decision date was Dec 12th. The board met a week before that. There is only one board per application cycle. My recruiter told me when I initially spoke with him that the deadline was July/August (like you stated) but during the process they pushed the board back to December. They said the board did this the previous year as well and that they seem to like this time period, for now at least. There is no sign on bonus for the AF Dental and has not for a while. I do not think your recruiter is trying to screw you over, because like I said, my recruiter initially told me the same deadline, but then it changed. The board I think is going to stick with December, but I can not verify that at this moment. The only difference was that my recruiter was still willing to work with me without my DAT scores. Did the paperwork, the physical, and even the interview before my DAT score. I would try to talk more with your current recruiter or to find another one. I am not from that area, so unfortunately I do not think I will be of much help with that situation. I hope this was helpful!!

Last edited:
The only difference was that my recruiter was still willing to work with me without my DAT scores. Did the paperwork, the physical, and even the interview before my DAT score. I would try to talk more with your current recruiter or to find another one.

Ok, that's really good to know. I think because my recruiter is the main health professions recruiter in the entire LA/OC region, they are inundated with applicants for HPSP and probably have experience with people that weren't able to achieve the DAT or MCAT scores they needed to be competitive enough for all the work they put into each applicant. I think I do need to find a new recruiter because this one is going to hold me back. I already gave them my scores from practice tests and they just don't want to bother with me now unless I'm going to be a "shoe in" for them.

So Axiomatician how did it turn out? We met at the interview at UofL. Did you get your work in by Dec 1? I am waiting to hear from the Navy and or the Army myself ... there boards meet in Jan/Feb.

So Axiomatician how did it turn out? We met at the interview at UofL. Did you get your work in by Dec 1? I am waiting to hear from the Navy and or the Army myself ... there boards meet in Jan/Feb.

From my understanding the Navy Board results came out yesterday. I would check with your recruiter.

Reactions: 1 users
From my understanding the Navy Board results came out yesterday. I would check with your recruiter.

Hi Dynamic Dental ... Wow you were spot on about the Naval Boards - thanks for the heads up. I was contacted by my recruiter this very morning and have been offered the Naval HPSP. I wasn't sure of the timeline for the Navy I just knew it would be January or February. I'm not sure what the timeline is for the Army either.

Do you happen to know regarding Navy ADT does that start this summer between college and dental school or does that start next year between years 1 and 2 of dental school and I'm thinking that would be the Navy's BOLC - that is ODS?

As far as Axiomatician - I haven't seen him post lately, I believe he was trying to go Air Force and I wondered if he followed throug?

Hi Dynamic Dental ... Wow you were spot on about the Naval Boards - thanks for the heads up. I was contacted by my recruiter this very morning and have been offered the Naval HPSP. I wasn't sure of the timeline for the Navy I just knew it would be January or February. I'm not sure what the timeline is for the Army either.

Do you happen to know regarding Navy ADT does that start this summer between college and dental school or does that start next year between years 1 and 2 of dental school and I'm thinking that would be the Navy's BOLC - that is ODS?

As far as Axiomatician - I haven't seen him post lately, I believe he was trying to go Air Force and I wondered if he followed throug?

Well Congratulations on the Navy!! I received a phone call from my recruiter yesterday evening, but I missed it :eek: I called back this morning and I was accepted as well! I was also awarded the Air Force and have already accepted, so I hope that makes the next person in line for the Navy happy. To answer your question about Navy ADT, I believe you TECHNICALLY can do ODS before dental school, but the vast majority either complete the training in between their first and second year or after graduation. I have heard pros and cons to both of the scenarios by several people, so I believe if you have all the paperwork in order, it is your personal preference for the most part. If anyone else knows more information about this, please do so. I am only going off of what my recruiter told me and I tried to ask them every scenario possible. Once again, Congratulations!