Am I too late to re-consider Ob/Gyn? Am I still considered a good candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superjail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll be fine.

Board scores are good and your clinical grades will be fine. Being a guy is generally an advantage on the interview trail. You should be able to match at an academic institution pretty easily.

Just do 1-2 sub Is in MFM early in your fourth year to get some letters and you'll be good to go.

Just apply early and broadly as well. If you want to do MFM, apply to academic places, especially those with their own MFM fellowships. As far as research, it won't matter too much in terms of getting interviews. You can always start something but it won't make or break your application.

The main reason to do it at this point would be to become better known to the OB faculty at your home institution so they can write you better LORs.

If you are looking at a large academic institution, then all HP's will make a difference. Any of the large programs will look at those candidates who have some honors and research. The past few years board scores have been very high, but the applicant transcripts aren't as strong. Even though our institution may want to recruit males, we don't invite them unless they are just as strong as the females that apply to our program. Being a male doesn't not give them any extra points at least not here, though you may find a program that does. I think you should be meet with the OBGYN Chair or someone else in the dept. and get their feedback.

You might want to wait to see what your mom will think in a month...don't want to upset her.