am i too Late to Scramble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarEastGrapplr2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
im an IMG. i passed my step 1 Aug 10, and my CS Nov 29th. im going to take my CK feb 15th (wed) and pray the score is reported in 3 weeks (as i have been hearing most are). i could have my Scores by Match/Scramble week, but i havent started my application. i got my ERAS token today. i believe the deadline for application is Feb 22 through ERAS. i think i can get my stuff to them by that date

what do i need to have sent from my school ASAP to meet the deadline?

if i dont get everything done by the Scramble, can i still potentially start working as a resident in July (ie. Find a Resident, or some other job source)?

much thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you can scramble, i think. i am pretty sure that you don't need all of your scores to do it, in fact. the question is whether a program will scramble you without them...i personally doubt it, but i could be wrong.

regardless, you will be eligible for a job in july, provided you pass everything and get the ECFMG cert. so you certainly may find a job via any other source. they do usually require and ERAS application to apply, so it is a good idea to fill out ERAS anyhow.

best of luck

FarEastGrapplr2 said:
im an IMG. i passed my step 1 Aug 10, and my CS Nov 29th. im going to take my CK feb 15th (wed) and pray the score is reported in 3 weeks (as i have been hearing most are). i could have my Scores by Match/Scramble week, but i havent started my application. i got my ERAS token today. i believe the deadline for application is Feb 22 through ERAS. i think i can get my stuff to them by that date

what do i need to have sent from my school ASAP to meet the deadline?

if i dont get everything done by the Scramble, can i still potentially start working as a resident in July (ie. Find a Resident, or some other job source)?

much thanks
Yes, you need to fill out and complete your ERAS now so that when the scramble starts you can send your application to the programs quickly. It is too late for interviews for the match itself. Remember you need all materials sent through your Deans office so that your application is complete before the scramble starts. Good luck.

International medical grads have to pass Step 3 before they are allowed to start work in the United States.

u_r_my_serenity said:
International medical grads have to pass Step 3 before they are allowed to start work in the United States.

No they don't. It is just something extra to make you look that much "safer"
It might impact your visa status somehow but you do not have to have it to get the residency and work.

Oh ok. The IMGs I have met made me believe otherwise. Thanks for clearing that up.

u_r_my_serenity said:
Oh ok. The IMGs I have met made me believe otherwise. Thanks for clearing that up.

Step 3 is required for visa. If you are a greencard holder or a citizen IMG then you don't need to pass Step 3 before starting residency.

any sites that give sample personal statements, dean's letters, LORs, etc? i have some from a graduate of my med school that pre-matched, but would like to check out some more if possible. my medical school didnt give us much guidance for applying for residency positions in the US. i know im very short on time, but im doing what i can

much thanks

don