Am I too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dngk5119

OptMed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning to apply for the 2013 Fall.
My GPA's not that bad, it falls about 3.73 and I have not taken MCAT yet. I'm aiming for at least 28, and I'm more than certain that I would get at least 28. And I feel like D.O. schools are great options for me as well.

The only concern that I have is regarding EC activities. I didn't really participate much in my school activities nor did any volunteer works at hospitals. Now, I know, I was stupid. But pretty much all summers and all semesters, I was working. I wasn't working like 30 hours a week but at least I could say i was doing something.

The only form of medically related work began after graduating in 2011 May. I got a job as a research assistant. Other than that, I had no form of any medically related EC activities.

With that being said, I will volunteer at a hospital and try to shadow various number of doctor in all specialties from now, TAKE the MCAT in April and apply as soon as the cycle begins in July or June.

Even until then, I would only have 6~8 months of research and 3~5 months of various volunteer and shadowings.

How would you view my application? With that little amount of EC activities, do you guys think I might have a chance?

Thanks!

Edited Q: Do you think it would be better to do some more EC activies and apply in August? or as late as September?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm planning to apply for the 2013 Fall.
My GPA's not that bad, it falls about 3.73 and I have not taken MCAT yet. I'm aiming for at least 28, and I'm more than certain that I would get at least 28. And I feel like D.O. schools are great options for me as well.

The only concern that I have is regarding EC activities. I didn't really participate much in my school activities nor did any volunteer works at hospitals. Now, I know, I was stupid. But pretty much all summers and all semesters, I was working. I wasn't working like 30 hours a week but at least I could say i was doing something.

The only form of medically related work began after graduating in 2011 May. I got a job as a research assistant. Other than that, I had no form of any medically related EC activities.

With that being said, I will volunteer at a hospital and try to shadow various number of doctor in all specialties from now, TAKE the MCAT in April and apply as soon as the cycle begins in July or June.

Even until then, I would only have 6~8 months of research and 3~5 months of various volunteer and shadowings.

How would you view my application? With that little amount of EC activities, do you guys think I might have a chance?

Thanks!

Edited Q: Do you think it would be better to do some more EC activies and apply in August? or as late as September?

Nope. Apply as early as possible. Do what you can from now until you apply, and make sure to destroy the MCAT. Your ECs will hurt you a little bit, but applying late will hurt you more. Just show initiative that you have exposure to the field and you should be ok.