Am I too old? / Financial Aid Question

Started by HAZELLBOO
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAZELLBOO

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In a couple of weeks, I will be 30 years old. I am considering going to school to become a doctor. The problem is that I have never attended college, so I would be starting from scratch as a Freshman in Undergrad. Am I too old? Sometimes I think, "Well, I will be 40 years old in 10 years whether I go or not, so I may as well go and be a doctor at 40". Other times, I just think I am too old. I know that schooling would take 8 years, but I believe I would also spend even more years as an intern and in residency, correct? What will the time line be like? What would my salary be like during internship, residency, fellowship, and once all of these have been completed?
Also, I know that most medical students change their minds about their specialty several times during school, but I am currently interested in Anesthesiology (if that info helps).

The second thing that I am concerned about is financial aid. More specifically, can I afford medical school? I make $46,000/ year, and I do not have any childen. How much does financial aid really cover? I remember I went to a "college" when I was 22 years old. I had moved out of my parent's house (1,000 miles away) when I was 18, yet the financial aid office still wanted my parents income info, and based my aid on that info, therefore, I didn't qualify for anything.
(The reason I said that I have never attended college earlier is because I don't consider that school to be a 'real' school because I tried to transfer credits to Devry a few years later and was told the school wasn't regionally accredited so the credits were invalid.)

Summary:
1. I am interested in Anesthesiology.
2. Am I too old to start as a Freshman Undergrad at 30?
3. Can I afford medical school? How much does financial aid really pay?
4. What would my salary be like during internship, residency, fellowship, and once all of these have been completed?

Addt'l info:
1. My credit isnt the greatest, so private loans will most likely not be an option.
2. I do not have a cosigner.
3. I live in NJ, and there is only one Medical School here. I will probably have to attend in NY and pay out of state tuition.

Thanks for your help!
 
Hi,

I am still in high school but I know there are options for you. I don't know if you're 'too old' but, if you're interested in anesthesiology there are other career paths. You don't have to become a doctor.

You can become an anesthesiologist assistant. Get your bachelors and take you pre requisites and then apply to an anesthesiologist assistant program (2 years).

You can also become a nurse anesthetist. It takes a while but look at it this way: you'll have a job even if you decide you're not interested in anesthesiology. Get a nursing 2 year degree so you can work as a nurse while finishing up your bachelors. Getting into a nurse anesthetist program requires at least 2 years but you would already have that while working on your bachelors.

If you absolutely want to become a doctor, I guess you can wait for other people’s opinions. It's your decision though. If you feel like you can do it then go for it.
 
Thanks much! That was very helpful. I do have my heart set on becoming a doctor. However, I think your idea about getting my Associates in nursing is a great one even if I choose to become a doctor, since (as you stated) I will have a job even if I change my mind later.

Hi,

I am still in high school but I know there are options for you. I don't know if you're 'too old' but, if you're interested in anesthesiology there are other career paths. You don't have to become a doctor.

You can become an anesthesiologist assistant. Get your bachelors and take you pre requisites and then apply to an anesthesiologist assistant program (2 years).

You can also become a nurse anesthetist. It takes a while but look at it this way: you'll have a job even if you decide you're not interested in anesthesiology. Get a nursing 2 year degree so you can work as a nurse while finishing up your bachelors. Getting into a nurse anesthetist program requires at least 2 years but you would already have that while working on your bachelors.

If you absolutely want to become a doctor, I guess you can wait for other people’s opinions. It's your decision though. If you feel like you can do it then go for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're not too old, there are many students who start med school in their 40s. As for financial aid, since you will be earning your first bachelors you will be eligible for grants and subsidized loans. I think you should post in non-traditional and pre-allo section as hsdn is for high school students, and you will get more answers to your questions there.

EN
 
Your never to old to get an education.
If you truly have your heart set on being a doctor I say go for it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.