Am I Too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DudeLebowski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok...so I didn't get into any schools this year. It was always going to be a crapshoot as my stats are not out-of-this-world like most SDNers (18AA, 17PAT, 3.3 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA...).
Now, my problem is that I already felt like Old-Man-River, applying to DS at 27, which means I would have been starting DS at 28. Not getting in this year means if I were to apply again next year, I'd be shooting to start DS at 29 (jeez...now I feel like Methuselah:eek:).
I'm not even sure what I'm asking for really...I guess I'm curious if there are a lot of "older" applicants (I think I was the oldest at my 2 interviews this year) that get accepted? does it help/hurt your chances? are there any that applied/started/finished DS at, say, in their 30s and what were your experiences like?

Members don't see this ad.

ok...so I didn't get into any schools this year. It was always going to be a crapshoot as my stats are not out-of-this-world like most SDNers (18AA, 17PAT, 3.3 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA...).
Now, my problem is that I already felt like Old-Man-River, applying to DS at 27, which means I would have been starting DS at 28. Not getting in this year means if I were to apply again next year, I'd be shooting to start DS at 29 (jeez...now I feel like Methuselah:eek:).
I'm not even sure what I'm asking for really...I guess I'm curious if there are a lot of "older" applicants (I think I was the oldest at my 2 interviews this year) that get accepted? does it help/hurt your chances? are there any that applied/started/finished DS at, say, in their 30s and what were your experiences like?

Do you want to be a dentist or no?

and if thats not motivation enough... Today I am 29, i got accepted on the 1st, and when I start DS, I'll be 2 weeks away from 30.... And I woulda done this even if I was in my 40s

Your solution is simple, retake that DAT, get a 20+ score, apply to 15-20 schools next year, and you will have many interviews... stop giving up, whats another year

You're a young'n yet ;)

I'm 30 now and will turn 31 a few weeks into my first year this coming fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 31 and applying next year. I think that when it comes to older applicants they are looking for more than just the basic stats. Maybe try revisiting your personal statement. Does it convey your maturity and passion to enter the field? I think a lot of people write about what dentistry can do for them, not what they can do for dentistry.

Well, I appreciate all the input folks. I do want to be a dentist but looking at the average age of applicants, I'm sure you can understand my concerns.

The ups-and-downs of the application cycle can take a mental toll on some people, and just the thought of doing this all over again, can be downright depressing.

Anywayz, good to see I'm not the only old-head around these parts :)

Thnx for the thread link, peanutb.

BTW, Any advice on how to get some extra shadowing hours in? I work 9-5 so weekdays is almost impossible,and not many dentists work weekends.

I'm 26 years of age which is slightly above the average age of 24. I feel that you should first take some time out and list out why you want to be a dentist, then see if your age will hinder those reasons. If not, then continue to self-evaluate to see if you really want to put in the time and commitment to follow this route.

I can understand your concern but the answers aren't around you nor will you find them on any blog, be it here or anywhere else; but you have the answers. No one knows you better than you. Its your go--green light.

I am another geezer who got into dental school. I am 27 now but I will be 28 when I start and 32 when I graduate. Every class needs a grandparent :oops:.

Age does not mean anything. As long as you do what makes you happy, thats all that matters.

I'll be 34 when I start dental school. I had an average GPA and a DAT score a smidgen above average. I think when you've been out of school as long, they're looking for evidence that you've done something interesting with your life, either in hobbies or career, that you have some sort of drive/motivation that will transfer to dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of people in their 30s in my dental school class, and a couple who are in their 40s. It's a lot more common than you think. :) Oh, and on finding somewhere to get in extra hours: I used to volunteer at a clinic that was open from 5-8pm a few times a week. It was run by dentists who volunteered after work. See if you can get in on something like that - I got over 300 hours that way.

34? Wow...that's some motivation right there...
Good to know i'm not in a unique situation...will take d xmas break to refresh and be back with a vengeance next yr...
Thanks y'all...this is a most helpful site

34? Wow...that's some motivation right there...
Good to know i'm not in a unique situation...will take d xmas break to refresh and be back with a vengeance next yr...
Thanks y'all...this is a most helpful site

Dude - I was 33 when I started dental school. Because I had to take a year off to receive medical treatment and then I had to take time off to deal with medical issues that my wife and daughter had this past year, it will have taken me 6 years to graduate. That menas that I will be 39 years old when I graduate from dental school. That really isn't bad when you consider the 4th year class here will have one person who will be 48 and several others right around 45. One person a few years ago was in his 50s. By no means are you old. You still could practice for 40 years if you wanted to do that.

I'm 27 years old and I'll start Dental School next year! I'm a second time applicant. If you really want to be a dentist keep on applying and try to improve your application!

I've got a classmate who will be applying in 2 years...He is 34.

I'm one of three people in my class (1st year) who is 36. Several others are in their 30's and a handful in their late 20's. The question is, would you rather be a dentist when you're in your mid-30's to early 40's or would you be happy doing something else? Age is irrelevant. If you've done more with your life than college and dental school, you bring life experiences to your interview, the classroom and to your eventual practice that will benefit you, your colleagues and your patients. If it's what you want to do, keep at it. If you're willing to settle for something else, go after that. Just don't set yourself up for coulda, woulda, shoulda in 20 years.

Just think: by the time you're done with dental school most your friends will be laid off at least once during that time period :laugh: (the way things are going).

don't worry about your age. it seems that every dental student interviewer i've had were in their thirties with kids at home going through a career change.

if you really want it, you'll get it.

40 by the time i apply to Med School.

And not worried in the least. :)

I am 30 years old so what...

the way i see it this is the path i want to take. Even if i stay where i am currently in my carrier i wont get anywhere... NO matter how hard I try. So if i work my 4 years off i will get Somewhere.

I believe dentistry will provide me with all types of stability i need in my life.

Ps if you really want it, age does not matter.

I am 33, and I don't even care if someone thinks I'm too old. I know that I am young enough to do what needs to be done to get into d school. Anyhow even though alot of d school applicants are right out of undergrad, as someone who is older, you have an advantage over them (at least in life experiences and maturity). But who cares anyway. If you want to do this now, do it. I have known ppl in their 40's who were in d school with gray hair and everything, and they did just fine. I have met a man who was a dental technologist for several years, and a woman who was a hygienist for the army for several, all of these ppl did just fine. So so can we. lol :laugh:

FTRDhomepg%28grandpa%29.jpg

Well, I appreciate all the input folks. I do want to be a dentist but looking at the average age of applicants, I'm sure you can understand my concerns.

The ups-and-downs of the application cycle can take a mental toll on some people, and just the thought of doing this all over again, can be downright depressing.

Anywayz, good to see I'm not the only old-head around these parts :)

Thnx for the thread link, peanutb.

BTW, Any advice on how to get some extra shadowing hours in? I work 9-5 so weekdays is almost impossible,and not many dentists work weekends.
Try corporate dentistry. They often have offices that are open on Saturdays. It would also be a good opportunity to observe other forms of practice and many of the dentists that work in corporate practices are more recent grads.

I had this problem too... I found a dental office that was open every other Saturday from 9-12 and I went in on those Saturdays when I could. It took a couple months but I got enough shadowing hours to put on my application. Also, I used my vacation time at work every now and then to go into the same dental office from 1-4 during a weekday (side note: it really surprised me that the procedures performed on a weekday were different from those performed on Saturday morning). It sucked that I couldn't take a real "vacation" with that time, but sometimes you have to make those sacrifices for what's really important :D

Well almost everyone has said a thing or two about age and I'm sure you realize that ur not all by yourself, but I must say a word about that passion that made u commit to the process in the first place. You took the time to fill out those forms for a reason, I suggest you reconnect with and rekindle that passion. The only time it's too late to do anything is when ur dead.

Hello, DudeLebowski. My name is Methuselah. :laugh: I'm 28 and will be 29 when I start DS in August. I'm not sweating it at all. I feel like at 28 I know so much more about what I want out of life than I did at 22. I'm much more focused and grounded. I can't speak for everyone of course, but I think this is the perfect age for me to start what is sure to be the biggest journey of my life!!

Hey, Its not LATE! I am 30 years old and I got accepted in four Dental School this year! So, take your time ;)

If you wanna go to Dental School stop wasting time and energy worrying about issues like your age. If you don't do it now, you'll regret it 10-15 years from today, and then it would be really late!
Besides, we have people who are in their 30's and they're among some of the smartest people in class. So, age DOES NOT matter, unless you're looking for an excuse to give up!

Good luck:thumbup:

You are making me feel old. I am 27 and apply the coming cycle.

I'll be 34 when I start dental school. I had an average GPA and a DAT score a smidgen above average. I think when you've been out of school as long, they're looking for evidence that you've done something interesting with your life, either in hobbies or career, that you have some sort of drive/motivation that will transfer to dentistry.

I'll also be 34 and I'm starting in 2011. You are absolutely right when you say they are looking for something interesting in your background. I had a lot in common with my interview panelists (kids, working, fighting insurance companies, paying the bills, etc.) and we had a back and forth as if we were peers. Of course, when the conversation moved to dentistry I was the grasshopper and the D4 student was the one with the experience.

My DAT scores were nothing spectacular, and my graduate GPA was not off the charts. The panel saw a person that is driven by the desire to provide for his family and at the same time enjoy a more rewarding and stable career. I left the interview feeling very confident.

You are never too old to pursue your goals. You are always too young to give up on them.

im 26, graduated dental school this past may 2010, just took the wrebs this weekend, crossing my fingers i passed! anyway, you are by no means too old to be starting dental school. the average age when i was a first year for my class at usc was 26, i was 22, along with several others, which means there were plenty of 22 yr olds, but also plenty of 30year olds. furthermore, in my class, there was a student, and a dear friend of mine now, who was 40 when we started! you are never too old to pursue something you love. the only issue with age and dental school is this...there are LOOOOONNNNGGGG days, especially second year when you get up at 6am and dont get home till midnight, 4 out 5 days a week. so you need the energy to deal with that. in general, youth=energy, however i know plenty of lazy people my age and plenty of older people that can work non-stop. second, if youre older, theres more of a chance youre not single and dental school can certainly have a toll on any relationship. many of my classmates were married no doubt, but the vast majority werent that way when they started. anyway, just some advice from a person too tired from a 2.5 day exam that cant sleep! goodluck

No worries. you're still young. I think you will be better prepared and more mature to relate with your patients and their concerns compared to a new grad. Just keep a positive frame of mind and find a way to strenghten your application for the coming year.

A wise mentor once advised "never let your memories be greater than your goals".

Stick with it!

:)

I'm 33 and am a 2nd year applicant, recently accepted to the Medical Co. Of Georgia for fall 2011. There is a 40 year old in my class, 38, 35, and many others.

It is NEVER too late to chase your dreams and do what you want.

Godspeed!

I will turn 44 the year I graduate from dental school and there are a ton of people in my DS class who are over 30. 3 or 4 people in my class have 2 or more kids. All of us are doing well and are happy we made the decision and the sacrifice to live our dream. Go for it!

I was just accepted at MUSC after the 3rd attempt. I'm a mechanical engineer and fed up with the lousy job options (or lack thereof) in my native Southeast. That, and I just simply know that dentistry is right for me. I'll be 32 in April. I'm married and have no kids. I have an MS in mechanical engineering from Georgia Tech, and to bloody hell with that expensive wad of toilet paper.

Let me tell you something: I woke up at 3AM in June of 2008, sat bolt upright in bed, woke my wife up, and told her "I don't know how to explain it, but I have to go to dental school." Since then, I've just known. It has consumed every day of my life since then, and will consume every day of the next 4 1/2 years.

The process is rough and discouraging. I was told that back at the beginning, didn't care, and started down the path anyway. Would I do it again if I knew how hard it would be? I don't know, I honestly don't. But I still know without having to justify it to myself or drawing up a pro/con list that it's the ONLY thing for me. It has to be that simple, and if it is, you won't have to ask-- you'll just do.