Am I totally screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WannabeMD

Hello,
I am new to this forum, and have a question for anyone qualified to help me answer it. I am a senior at Gettysburg College with a 3.2 GPA,but only a 2.5 BCPM. I have 4 C's on my transcript. I had a D in organic, but retook it and got a B+ and B-. I'm taking my MCATs in 10 days(God help me)...on practice exams, I've gotten in the 25 range. I'm a Biology and Spanish double major and philosophy minor here. I've had lots of volunteer experience and have become bilingual in Spanish after studying for a semester in Guadalajara, Mexico. I'm also involved in tons of extracurricular activities. I want to be a physician more than anything!!! I'm already taking a year off since I went abroad, and I
was planning on starting to apply this June to enter in the Fall of 2002. During my year off, I'm going back to study in Mexico, working 2 jobs and shadowing a physician, getting married, and taking a few classes. I was planning on co-applying to accelerated nursing programs, as well as some graduate programs in Spanish. That way, if I don't get in the first time, I could reapply during my year of graduate work. Several physicians I've talked to have told me that I have a very good chance of getting in, regardless of grades, because of my activities and language skills. Others have told me to look at other
careers. I know I can do this, even if I have to wait a few years. My question to all of you is do you think I have a chance? Would it be better for me to take some classes, work, etc. and then do a year of grad school before applying or do you think it's worth my while to apply for Fall of 2002 and just take classes and work for my year off? I'm really just looking for any knowledgeable opinions on my situation. I know I want to go into medicine, and I wouldn't mind waiting 2 years
instead of 1, I'd just like to know before I shell out that kind of money. Please give me your honest suggestions.

Thanks,
Tara

Members don't see this ad.

Even though you probably have a good shot at getting into medical school now, I advise you wait it out a couple of years (unless your over 35 right now). There is no rush. Waiting will only be your gain and in the end your patient's gain. You will be a couple of years older and wiser and probably make a better medical student and hence doctor. Just my advice...

go ahead and apply..... i applied a year before i graduated with no chance of being accepted...why....to leave an impression on them so they would remember me and so they would know my name for the next year...and over the course of two years i talked to people there on the phone and by email....when i applied the second time, it was like i was an old friend and belonged there.....good luck and make'em remember you and look forward to seeing you again

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would hurt if you applied this year. If you get in, no problem. It sounds like you have good experience, which is key.

However, if you don't get in, which was my case 2 years ago, at least they know you from the first time around. I went back to my first choice school and talked to the head of admissions. I asked her what on my application will improve my chances of getting in (every school's criteria is different in little things). For mine it was grades, volunteer experience and more shadowing. So I took a year off, did all those things, reapplied this year, and I'm now going there this fall!

Grades and MCATS is only the first round of weeding out applicants. But if your experience is exceptional, then they will probably at least grant you an interview. If you don't think you can shuck the $$$ for apps, just apply to the ones you really want to go to. But as the saying goes, the more schools you apply to, the more interviews you get, hence more acceptances. Good luck on your decision.

If you want to take some classes next year, I wouldn't take them in nursing. Adcoms might then question which profession you want to be in. If you can take some graduate courses in one of the hard sciences (such as chemistry or biochemistry) you can really make a compelling case. It would be proof that you can do science at the graduate level and would be impressive. It also might help with your gpa if you can ace those classes. Worked for me! Good luck!