Am I unlikely to receive a decision on December 2nd if I interview in late November?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistry190

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an interview at a dental school for early November, but because of my exam schedule the next available date I could reschedule for is in late November. Would this not give admissions enough time to review my entire application by December 2nd? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I received an interview at a dental school for early November, but because of my exam schedule the next available date I could reschedule for is in late November. Would this not give admissions enough time to review my entire application by December 2nd? Thanks.
Any answers on sdn is just speculation. Email admissions and just ask.

Reactions: 1 user
This may affect you, it may not, but I wouldn’t sweat as long as you can kill your interview. Maybe it’s meant for you to take it late November to give you more time so you can do better on the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school, they may or may not be able to give you a decision. I interviewed at UCLA's last pre-Dec interview date (which was mid-Nov) and I got in on Dec 1st. I think there are some schools that interview on the last business day of Nov and have given out decisions early Dec. You never know and it seems like there's nothing you can do about it besides stress, so just focus on prepping for it and doing well on your exams!

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the school, they may or may not be able to give you a decision. I interviewed at UCLA's last pre-Dec interview date (which was mid-Nov) and I got in on Dec 1st. I think there are some schools that interview on the last business day of Nov and have given out decisions early Dec. You never know and it seems like there's nothing you can do about it besides stress, so just focus on prepping for it and doing well on your exams!
I talked to one of my professors and he stated that "Most schools already have made the decision on their students by mid-november because of thanksgiving break and them usually interviewing mid-to-late November is usually the waitlist. Not for all schools, but for some."

The dean of one of the schools I interviewed at said that they know the decision for every student within 48 hours after they interviewed, so I assume that you can get a decision on Dec 2.

Of course, every school's admission committee is different.

In 2017 I interviewed at a school on November 29th and then got an acceptance the next day (November 30th) at 11PM my time. Its definitely possible! They actually told us at the interview we would be getting our decisions on the 1st so we knew it was coming.

I spoke directly with the director of admissions while interviewing at a school last weekend. I mentioned to him that I was surprised his school got back to me so quickly with an interview date considering I applied so late (very end of August). He explained that while they look at applications in the order they come in, they DO NOT offer interviews or admission in the order they come in.

So for this school anyway, it means that if they wanted you, you could interview in late November and get an offer December 2nd. This is just one school, obviously.