Am I URM???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Markobenin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if I fall in the URM category? I was born in Bulgaria and lived there till the age of 5, and then moved to Canada to live with my dad. My dad raised me as a single parent and we lived in Canada until 7 years ago, when we moved down to California and I finished HS in CA and am now a senior at UCI. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I don't think so...

Am I URM? I ate nachos last night and they were extra cheesy but I spilled a bit and it landed on my leg and my dog ate it up. This was when I was 5. Then I moved to zimbabwe and did the electric slide with some family members while the zebras watched on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that was so funny. It's funny how URM only applies to blacks and mexicans. They have the same opportunities as anyone else in this country growing up, and probably just as "disadvantaged" as my upbringing, yet they're considered "under represented minorities" due to skin color. Talk about reverse racism...no such thing as a "minority" in this 21st century. Whites are actually the minority in most parts of LA and SoCal...

Wow that was so funny. It's funny how URM only applies to blacks and mexicans. They have the same opportunities as anyone else in this country growing up, and probably just as "disadvantaged" as my upbringing, yet they're considered "under represented minorities" due to skin color. Talk about reverse racism...no such thing as a "minority" in this 21st century. Whites are actually the minority in most parts of LA and SoCal...

first, someone call the WAAAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE.

second, perhaps whites are the minority population in LA and SoCAL. Do you notice any differences between the black, hispanic, and white populations in LA and SoCAl?

If you're that put-upon, list yourself as "disadvantaged". Same effect. No need to be an ass.

Ummmm, URM does not solely apply to blacks and mexicans.

5 years in Bulgaria, more in Canada, and living in California does NOT an underrepresented minority make. What is it about the AMCAS description that leaves you confused?

Am I URM? I ate nachos last night and they were extra cheesy but I spilled a bit and it landed on my leg and my dog ate it up. This was when I was 5. Then I moved to zimbabwe and did the electric slide with some family members while the zebras watched on.

lmao, I spit out my cold water...dang!

If you're that put-upon, list yourself as "disadvantaged". Same effect. No need to be an ass.

Same effect? Are you kidding me? Are you trying to be a funny guy now? Being disadvantaged is a nice plus but it is no where (I mean no where) close to being an URM. Sad stories are great but throw in the fact that you are black or Mex/PR and you got yourself a winning application.

But be careful, my friend is as white as they come and he tried to pull off that he was an URM during this years application cycle. He interviewed at a lot of good schools, but got rejected by all of them except for waitlists at Baylor and Duke (go figure). Most likely he will be going to his state school. So just be careful bf you think about lying bc. they prob do an internal URM check (physical appearance, how you talk, etique and manners, how intelligent you sound etc... you know the stereotypical kind of stuff).

Same effect? Are you kidding me? Are you trying to be a funny guy now? Being disadvantaged is a nice plus but it is no where (I mean no where) close to being an URM. Sad stories are great but throw in the fact that you are black or Mex/PR and you got yourself a winning application.

But be careful, my friend is as white as they come and he tried to pull off that he was an URM during this years application cycle. He interviewed at a lot of good schools, but got rejected by all of them except for waitlists at Baylor and Duke (go figure). Most likely he will be going to his state school. So just be careful bf you think about lying bc. they prob do an internal URM check (physical appearance, how you talk, etique and manners, how intelligent you sound etc... you know the stereotypical kind of stuff).

I guess there's a correlation between URM and how intelligent you sound?

I guess there's a correlation between URM and how intelligent you sound?

Clearly. His friend should've dumbed it down some if he really wanted to lie to get ahead. I can't believe no one accepted such a stand up guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is so many flavors of awful

why are you looking for a handout

lol reverse racism

... are you serious?

Look at the racial disparities in health, education and income and then let's have a conversation about "equality in opportunity". Get real.

*sigh* Just when I think America is moving forward in racial relations, posts like your bring me back to reality...sad.

u can be urm if you want. just explain it.

u might look kinda bad next to like a real urm tho =/

A racist comment, no ifs ands or buts about it. Unacceptable and pathetic.

I lived in Kyrgyzstan up to the age of 15 and I am NOT considered a URM even though there are probably about 1000 of us in the States.

I lived in Kyrgyzstan up to the age of 15 and I am NOT considered a URM even though there are probably about 1000 of us in the States.

...which is why ur not urm. look up what underrepresented means.

...which is why ur not urm. look up what underrepresented means.
Blackness is the state of mind homie. Just kidding I was just saying being from a foreign country does not make you a URM.

Ok I had no idea there was an official definition of URM on the AAMC website. Unlike some of you who have probably memorized the ins and outs of that site, I have a life to worry about, hence bringing my question to the forum due to my confusion surrounding who qualifies as URM.

I had no intention of offending anyone, however we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine happens to be that there is no such thing as a "minority" in this country anymore. As I said, we are all provided with the same rights and I think this affirmative action "minority" nonsense needs to end.

Ok I had no idea there was an official definition of URM on the AAMC website. Unlike some of you who have probably memorized the ins and outs of that site, I have a life to worry about, hence bringing my question to the forum due to my confusion surrounding who qualifies as URM.

I had no intention of offending anyone, however we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine happens to be that there is no such thing as a "minority" in this country anymore. As I said, we are all provided with the same rights and I think this affirmative action "minority" nonsense needs to end.

so when you started this thread it wasn't nonsense, but then you find out you're not URM, so now it is nonsense? :laugh:

so when you started this thread it wasn't nonsense, but then you find out you're not URM, so now it is nonsense? :laugh:

That's how life works. If i reap the benefits then it's cool, if someone else does then I realize life isn't fair and whine about it.

Something I've always wondered is why South American Hispanics aren't considered URM's? Is there anyone that can possibly clear this up for me as I've always been confused as to why that was the case.

Are West Indians considered to be Asian? coz I really have never felt as if I was Asian or East Indian.

Something I've always wondered is why South American Hispanics aren't considered URM's? Is there anyone that can possibly clear this up for me as I've always been confused as to why that was the case.

The AAMC definition of underrepresented in medicine is:
"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."
http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm

so i would take that to mean that south american hispanics are adequately represented in the usa's health system.

Are West Indians considered to be Asian? coz I really have never felt as if I was Asian or East Indian.

as in indian, you're just asian. although you had me confused at first with the "west indian" thing. where i come from, it's similar to what we call the caribbean (i'm jamaican, it's in the west indies).

URM and disadvantaged are two completely separate categories on the AMCAS. You can be URM, disadvantaged, or both.

After you actually read the instructions on the application, educate yourself on the history of these underrepesented minorities in the US. Here's a depressing example from the New York Times on how our sad history still plays out today: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/nyregion/20patchogue.html?hpw

URM and disadvantaged are two completely separate categories on the AMCAS. You can be URM, disadvantaged, or both.

After you actually read the instructions on the application, educate yourself on the history of these underrepesented minorities in the US. Here's a depressing example from the New York Times on how our sad history still plays out today: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/nyregion/20patchogue.html?hpw

i will admit i only skimmed the article, but how does this relate to the topic (geniune question, no sarcasm)? because anyone can be a victim of a hate crime.

:laugh:

...and Kyrgyzstan FTW

I love these threads. I'm excited for when the new batch will begin to show up.

The AAMC definition of underrepresented in medicine is:
"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."
http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm

so i would take that to mean that south american hispanics are adequately represented in the usa's health system.

Yes, but.... I do think that some adcoms will stretch URM to include native speakers of Spanish regardless of nationality.

I'm a straight, Christian, white guy, but I do have red hair! Am I a URM because of that? :D

Coppertops, represent.

Anybody can be the victim of a hate crime, but this is a racially-specific one. Additionally, if you read the article, this is one incident among many of violence and assault against Latinos where the local sheriffs office has ignored or done little to address the problem:

"Mr. Lucero’s death exposed racial tensions on eastern Long Island and caused a number of Hispanic residents to come forward saying they were the victims of harassment and assaults. Advocates for immigrants criticized the Suffolk County Police Department for failing to fully investigate complaints of assaults on Latinos, and also criticized some county leaders and politicians for fueling the hostility with anti-immigrant statements. Federal authorities are investigating the department’s handling of reports of racially motivated attacks on Hispanics."

The OP tried to equate his "minority" status with that of blacks and latinos, which is absolutely propersterous.

i will admit i only skimmed the article, but how does this relate to the topic (geniune question, no sarcasm)? because anyone can be a victim of a hate crime.

Is your skin white? Is your medical history void of diseases that could make it such? If you answered "yes" to both of these questions, you are not a URM. +/- 1.15% error (see Sammy Sosa):

Sammy%20Sosa%20White.jpg

Is your skin white? Is your medical history void of diseases that could make it such? If you answered "yes" to both of these questions, you are not a URM. +/- 1.15% error (see Sammy Sosa):

Sammy%20Sosa%20White.jpg
yo man sammy sosa's theee man haha. and i clicked the article on the hate crime and as soon as I saw the picture I knew they were Ecuadorian. Woo! My ethnic guessing skills are near impeccable. LOL

URM status is not only unfair, it is just plain intellectually lazy.

A wealthy black student from a wealthy suburb benefits from a blanket skin color policy, while a poor white student from western virginia gets screwed.

It would not be that difficult to come up with some statistical socioeconomic markers that could be considered independent of ethnicity/race. This data could then be used in the same way URM status is now, but in a much more precise and equitable way.

Last edited:
and heeerrreee we go! :corny:

Last edited:

A wealthy black student from a wealthy suburb benefits from a blanket skin color policy, while a poor white student from western virginia gets screwed.

It would not be that difficult to come up with some statistical socioeconomic markers that could be considered independent of ethnicity/race. This data could then be used in the same way URM status is now, but in a much more precise and equitable way.

wow, calm down.

students can apply as URM (under represented in medicine), which has nothing to do with income levels, or economically disadvantaged, which obviously does have to do with income, or BOTH. poor white student above can apply under disadvantaged.

sensing a :lock: on the horizon.

Last edited:
Not to mention the fact that posting images with words that are censored by SDN violates the user agreement. I'd remove it if I were you, Dr Arete.

Not to mention the fact that posting images with words that are censored by SDN violates the user agreement. I'd remove it if I were you, Dr Arete.

Good advice. Done.

I am not sure how easy this would actually be. Race and income have been historically and current still are correlated (source). I think the purpose of creating the URM and econ. disadvantaged categories were to tease out this relationship. Not all URM applicants are disadvantaged. Not all disadvantaged are URM. Most applicants are neither.

jerk.

Last edited:

a) even controlling for socioeconomic factors blacks fare worse on standardized exams.
b) URM =! disadvantaged. they're separate, and the former is not even a box to check on the AMCAS

seriously people, before you start the bitching and moaning at least get your sht straight.

a) even controlling for socioeconomic factors blacks fare worse on standardized exams.
b) URM =! disadvantaged. they're separate, and the former is not even a box to check on the AMCAS

seriously people, before you start the bitching and moaning at least get your sht straight.

Are you suggesting blacks are intellectually inferior to other races, hence must be given leeway as far as scores on standardized exams are concerned?