Feb 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, I was just wondering if I fall in the URM category? I was born in Bulgaria and lived there till the age of 5, and then moved to Canada to live with my dad. My dad raised me as a single parent and we lived in Canada until 7 years ago, when we moved down to California and I finished HS in CA and am now a senior at UCI. Thanks for the input!

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Am I URM? I ate nachos last night and they were extra cheesy but I spilled a bit and it landed on my leg and my dog ate it up. This was when I was 5. Then I moved to zimbabwe and did the electric slide with some family members while the zebras watched on.

Feb 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow that was so funny. It's funny how URM only applies to blacks and mexicans. They have the same opportunities as anyone else in this country growing up, and probably just as "disadvantaged" as my upbringing, yet they're considered "under represented minorities" due to skin color. Talk about reverse racism...no such thing as a "minority" in this 21st century. Whites are actually the minority in most parts of LA and SoCal...

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Wow that was so funny. It's funny how URM only applies to blacks and mexicans. They have the same opportunities as anyone else in this country growing up, and probably just as "disadvantaged" as my upbringing, yet they're considered "under represented minorities" due to skin color. Talk about reverse racism...no such thing as a "minority" in this 21st century. Whites are actually the minority in most parts of LA and SoCal...
first, someone call the WAAAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE.

second, perhaps whites are the minority population in LA and SoCAL. Do you notice any differences between the black, hispanic, and white populations in LA and SoCAl?

plasmidgreen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
If you're that put-upon, list yourself as "disadvantaged". Same effect. No need to be an ass.

Dec 30, 2009
Status
Non-Student

Ummmm, URM does not solely apply to blacks and mexicans.

5 years in Bulgaria, more in Canada, and living in California does NOT an underrepresented minority make. What is it about the AMCAS description that leaves you confused?

jboz

Removed
Mar 21, 2010
Status
Am I URM? I ate nachos last night and they were extra cheesy but I spilled a bit and it landed on my leg and my dog ate it up. This was when I was 5. Then I moved to zimbabwe and did the electric slide with some family members while the zebras watched on.
lmao, I spit out my cold water...dang!

iFearMCAT

Removed
Feb 16, 2010
Status
If you're that put-upon, list yourself as "disadvantaged". Same effect. No need to be an ass.

Same effect? Are you kidding me? Are you trying to be a funny guy now? Being disadvantaged is a nice plus but it is no where (I mean no where) close to being an URM. Sad stories are great but throw in the fact that you are black or Mex/PR and you got yourself a winning application.

But be careful, my friend is as white as they come and he tried to pull off that he was an URM during this years application cycle. He interviewed at a lot of good schools, but got rejected by all of them except for waitlists at Baylor and Duke (go figure). Most likely he will be going to his state school. So just be careful bf you think about lying bc. they prob do an internal URM check (physical appearance, how you talk, etique and manners, how intelligent you sound etc... you know the stereotypical kind of stuff).

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Same effect? Are you kidding me? Are you trying to be a funny guy now? Being disadvantaged is a nice plus but it is no where (I mean no where) close to being an URM. Sad stories are great but throw in the fact that you are black or Mex/PR and you got yourself a winning application.

But be careful, my friend is as white as they come and he tried to pull off that he was an URM during this years application cycle. He interviewed at a lot of good schools, but got rejected by all of them except for waitlists at Baylor and Duke (go figure). Most likely he will be going to his state school. So just be careful bf you think about lying bc. they prob do an internal URM check (physical appearance, how you talk, etique and manners, how intelligent you sound etc... you know the stereotypical kind of stuff).
I guess there's a correlation between URM and how intelligent you sound?

plasmidgreen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I guess there's a correlation between URM and how intelligent you sound?
Clearly. His friend should've dumbed it down some if he really wanted to lie to get ahead. I can't believe no one accepted such a stand up guy.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
why are you looking for a handout

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
lol reverse racism

LRAccord624

MSIII
Oct 18, 2009
Houston
Status
Medical Student

... are you serious?

aDreamer

7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2009
Ithaca, NY
Status
Medical Student
Look at the racial disparities in health, education and income and then let's have a conversation about "equality in opportunity". Get real.

*sigh* Just when I think America is moving forward in racial relations, posts like your bring me back to reality...sad.

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
u can be urm if you want. just explain it.

u might look kinda bad next to like a real urm tho =/

aDreamer

7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2009
Ithaca, NY
Status
Medical Student
A racist comment, no ifs ands or buts about it. Unacceptable and pathetic.

FSAP

Foreigner
10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2007
Status
MD/PhD Student
I lived in Kyrgyzstan up to the age of 15 and I am NOT considered a URM even though there are probably about 1000 of us in the States.

dingyibvs

Psych!
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
I lived in Kyrgyzstan up to the age of 15 and I am NOT considered a URM even though there are probably about 1000 of us in the States.
...which is why ur not urm. look up what underrepresented means.

FSAP

Foreigner
10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2007
Status
MD/PhD Student
...which is why ur not urm. look up what underrepresented means.
Blackness is the state of mind homie. Just kidding I was just saying being from a foreign country does not make you a URM.

Feb 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok I had no idea there was an official definition of URM on the AAMC website. Unlike some of you who have probably memorized the ins and outs of that site, I have a life to worry about, hence bringing my question to the forum due to my confusion surrounding who qualifies as URM.

I had no intention of offending anyone, however we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine happens to be that there is no such thing as a "minority" in this country anymore. As I said, we are all provided with the same rights and I think this affirmative action "minority" nonsense needs to end.

WhizoMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ok I had no idea there was an official definition of URM on the AAMC website. Unlike some of you who have probably memorized the ins and outs of that site, I have a life to worry about, hence bringing my question to the forum due to my confusion surrounding who qualifies as URM.

I had no intention of offending anyone, however we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine happens to be that there is no such thing as a "minority" in this country anymore. As I said, we are all provided with the same rights and I think this affirmative action "minority" nonsense needs to end.
so when you started this thread it wasn't nonsense, but then you find out you're not URM, so now it is nonsense? :laugh:

VOP

5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2009
Silver Spring, MD
Status
Medical Student
so when you started this thread it wasn't nonsense, but then you find out you're not URM, so now it is nonsense? :laugh:
That's how life works. If i reap the benefits then it's cool, if someone else does then I realize life isn't fair and whine about it.

pogiss

7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Something I've always wondered is why South American Hispanics aren't considered URM's? Is there anyone that can possibly clear this up for me as I've always been confused as to why that was the case.

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Far from home :-)
Status
Medical Student
Something I've always wondered is why South American Hispanics aren't considered URM's? Is there anyone that can possibly clear this up for me as I've always been confused as to why that was the case.
The AAMC definition of underrepresented in medicine is:
"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."
http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm

so i would take that to mean that south american hispanics are adequately represented in the usa's health system.

Are West Indians considered to be Asian? coz I really have never felt as if I was Asian or East Indian.
as in indian, you're just asian. although you had me confused at first with the "west indian" thing. where i come from, it's similar to what we call the caribbean (i'm jamaican, it's in the west indies).

ScronCron

5+ Year Member
May 13, 2009
Status
URM and disadvantaged are two completely separate categories on the AMCAS. You can be URM, disadvantaged, or both.

After you actually read the instructions on the application, educate yourself on the history of these underrepesented minorities in the US. Here's a depressing example from the New York Times on how our sad history still plays out today: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/nyregion/20patchogue.html?hpw

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Far from home :-)
Status
Medical Student
URM and disadvantaged are two completely separate categories on the AMCAS. You can be URM, disadvantaged, or both.

After you actually read the instructions on the application, educate yourself on the history of these underrepesented minorities in the US. Here's a depressing example from the New York Times on how our sad history still plays out today: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/nyregion/20patchogue.html?hpw
i will admit i only skimmed the article, but how does this relate to the topic (geniune question, no sarcasm)? because anyone can be a victim of a hate crime.

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
:laugh:

...and Kyrgyzstan FTW

Nov 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I love these threads. I'm excited for when the new batch will begin to show up.

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So just be careful bf you think about lying bc. they prob do an internal URM check (physical appearance, how you talk, etique and manners, how intelligent you sound etc... you know the stereotypical kind of stuff).
Wow. I see I'm not the only person from Alabama on SDN :rolleyes:

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
The AAMC definition of underrepresented in medicine is:
"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."
http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm

so i would take that to mean that south american hispanics are adequately represented in the usa's health system.
Yes, but.... I do think that some adcoms will stretch URM to include native speakers of Spanish regardless of nationality.

ScronCron

5+ Year Member
May 13, 2009
Status
Anybody can be the victim of a hate crime, but this is a racially-specific one. Additionally, if you read the article, this is one incident among many of violence and assault against Latinos where the local sheriffs office has ignored or done little to address the problem:

"Mr. Lucero’s death exposed racial tensions on eastern Long Island and caused a number of Hispanic residents to come forward saying they were the victims of harassment and assaults. Advocates for immigrants criticized the Suffolk County Police Department for failing to fully investigate complaints of assaults on Latinos, and also criticized some county leaders and politicians for fueling the hostility with anti-immigrant statements. Federal authorities are investigating the department’s handling of reports of racially motivated attacks on Hispanics."

The OP tried to equate his "minority" status with that of blacks and latinos, which is absolutely propersterous.

i will admit i only skimmed the article, but how does this relate to the topic (geniune question, no sarcasm)? because anyone can be a victim of a hate crime.

pogiss

7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Is your skin white? Is your medical history void of diseases that could make it such? If you answered "yes" to both of these questions, you are not a URM. +/- 1.15% error (see Sammy Sosa):

yo man sammy sosa's theee man haha. and i clicked the article on the hate crime and as soon as I saw the picture I knew they were Ecuadorian. Woo! My ethnic guessing skills are near impeccable. LOL

DrArete

Removed
Apr 3, 2010
Status
URM status is not only unfair, it is just plain intellectually lazy.

A wealthy black student from a wealthy suburb benefits from a blanket skin color policy, while a poor white student from western virginia gets screwed.

It would not be that difficult to come up with some statistical socioeconomic markers that could be considered independent of ethnicity/race. This data could then be used in the same way URM status is now, but in a much more precise and equitable way.

Last edited:

RunningDiva

Hakuna Matata
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

A wealthy black student from a wealthy suburb benefits from a blanket skin color policy, while a poor white student from western virginia gets screwed.

It would not be that difficult to come up with some statistical socioeconomic markers that could be considered independent of ethnicity/race. This data could then be used in the same way URM status is now, but in a much more precise and equitable way.
wow, calm down.

students can apply as URM (under represented in medicine), which has nothing to do with income levels, or economically disadvantaged, which obviously does have to do with income, or BOTH. poor white student above can apply under disadvantaged.

sensing a :lock: on the horizon.

Last edited:

RunningDiva

Hakuna Matata
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

I am not sure how easy this would actually be. Race and income have been historically and current still are correlated (source). I think the purpose of creating the URM and econ. disadvantaged categories were to tease out this relationship. Not all URM applicants are disadvantaged. Not all disadvantaged are URM. Most applicants are neither.

rockaction

casemed'14
May 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student

jerk.

Last edited:

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

a) even controlling for socioeconomic factors blacks fare worse on standardized exams.
b) URM =! disadvantaged. they're separate, and the former is not even a box to check on the AMCAS

seriously people, before you start the bitching and moaning at least get your sht straight.

Feb 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
a) even controlling for socioeconomic factors blacks fare worse on standardized exams.
b) URM =! disadvantaged. they're separate, and the former is not even a box to check on the AMCAS

seriously people, before you start the bitching and moaning at least get your sht straight.
Are you suggesting blacks are intellectually inferior to other races, hence must be given leeway as far as scores on standardized exams are concerned?