Am I URM???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you suggesting blacks are intellectually inferior to other races, hence must be given leeway as far as scores on standardized exams are concerned?
that's not what i'm suggesting at all, and the fact that this is the first thing your mind goes to is telling.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you suggesting blacks are intellectually inferior to other races, hence must be given leeway as far as scores on standardized exams are concerned?

5 bucks says someone starts with the bbbbbut the exams are culturally biased line

ummm i definitely didn't interpret it that way. standardized tests are only called standardized because who ever made it up gave it to a bunch of "test" test-takers and then scaled the scores. test are usually made up by groups of caucasian men, who for the most part have had a very different social, educational, economical, etc. life compared to minorities.

Example: A group of students in an inner city elementary school answer this question very differently than other groups children. "Where does milk come from?" Inner city kids say, "the store." Logical, of course. Other kids, "a cow." Both are right answers to each group. But test takers say correct answer is a cow, so inner city kids have bad test scores and get a rap for being not as smart. Where do most minority students live - in the inner cities. Oh the perils of standardized testing.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what it sounded like, since I don't understand why blacks would score lower on standardized tests than say whites or asians if all "subjects" grow up in the same environment. If environment is not the cause, it sounds like you're suggesting it's genetic?

And don't make me out to be the bad guy Mother Theresa, I'm just trying to understand what you're implying by your statement that blacks score lower on tests.

That's what it sounded like, since I don't understand why blacks would score lower on standardized tests than say whites or asians if all "subjects" grow up in the same environment. If environment is not the cause, it sounds like you're suggesting it's genetic?

And don't make me out to be the bad guy Mother Theresa, I'm just trying to understand what you're implying by your statement that blacks score lower on tests.
i'm not suggesting that you are a bad guy, merely a dolt. see bolded.

5 bucks says someone starts with the bbbbbut the exams are culturally biased line

bbbbbuuuut it can be and they are.

not every one does live in the same environment. break it down to country, state, county, city, school, household.

i would expect someone to say the bolded comment maybe 1860 pre-civil war era.

Here we go!! This is why these disparities still exist. Even in "our" generation ppl still have STUPID ways of thinking.
When black ppl say some of the things white ppl say,then black ppl are called racist
The things that some white ppl say just to make themselves feel better are funny.

I can't find the citation but I do recall reading of research that took non-culturally biased test items (math, for example) and told some test-takers that "people of your race/gender tend not to score well on this test" while others were given a neutral message. Do you think that there was a difference in performance based on the message communicated to the research subject before the test? People can psych themselves out before a test and I think that this happens rather frequently.

Last edited:
You are wrong.

There are other factors at work - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acting_white

I actually didn't believe that people were really teased and accused of "acting white" until a friend of mine who is a social worker in Chicago witnessed it, and when a work colleague who is exceptionally brilliant told me that she suffered greatly in public school.

you're right, what was i thinking. cultural or socioeconomic bias in standardized testing is not a factor at all.

clearly, the loads of inner city schools with below average test scores is partly due to "acting white." call the CDC! we have an epidemic of "acting white" on our hands. /sarcasm

in reality, there are a multitude of factors to explain the differences. i never said the cultural bias was the only one. LizzyM pointed about another factor above - the expectations of the test takers. when there is a difference in scores, the first place a good researcher should look is at the testing instrument itself. is there some natural bias in the test? answer, sometimes yes. intelligence tests, for example, have long struggled with this problem.

I fail to see how this makes RunningDiva wrong. This argument is not mutually exclusive with hers. Likely there are multiple factors that influence racial and cultural disparities in test scores, not any one single factor.

You are wrong.

I actually didn't believe that people were really teased and accused of "acting white" until a friend of mine who is a social worker in Chicago witnessed it, and when a work colleague who is exceptionally brilliant told me that she suffered greatly in public school.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
You are wrong.

How does this invalidate what was said?

Also a poor white student doesn't get screwed because they get to apply as disadvantaged.:eek::eek:

How can a test be racially biased? I'm not trolling or saying it cannot, I've just never heard of it before and am curious.

More culturally biased where race and culture and income are tightly bound. The example my sociology teacher gave in college was a question on a test that used an example from yachting.

Someone who has never sailed may be unfamiliar with vocabulary and the problem (or reading passage) may be far more difficult for that person than it is for someone who has been sailing since childhood.

Last edited:
There are A LOT of funny things about these threads, but what always gets me is how people start arguing either for or against URM status without understanding anything about it!

URM status has nothing to do with your income or your background or where you grew up or anything else like that. It solely has to do with the fact that we have a very diverse population of patients and a severe drought of diversity in the healthcare field. That's it. URM status is not meant to right any societal injustices. It's only meant to correct the current problem we have with the lack of minorities in the healthcare field. Period. End of story. Whether you like it or not, we can't have an all white/asian health care force!

But you guys can keep arguing about it :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
these types of threads just keep getting dumber and dumber :thumbdown:

You are wrong.

the_more_you_know2.jpg
stupid people like this also crack me up.

Congrats, you got a giggle out of me with this one! I don't know what's funnier: that garbage or that you buy into it

Wow.... just wow.

I think a lot of the posters here really need to take a multicultural psych course or some soc classes. The ignorance of these issues is utterly astounding.

To make matters worse, even when people don't have outward biases against minorities, they typically have negative implicit associations that come out in much more subtle and often harmful ways. I challenge you to find out yours: Harvard Implicit Association Test (African American, Asian, Native American)

There are A LOT of funny things about these threads, but what always gets me is how people start arguing either for or against URM status without understanding anything about it!

URM status has nothing to do with your income or your background or where you grew up or anything else like that. It solely has to do with the fact that we have a very diverse population of patients and a severe drought of diversity in the healthcare field. That's it. URM status is not meant to right any societal injustices. It's only meant to correct the current problem we have with the lack of minorities in the healthcare field. Period. End of story. Whether you like it or not, we can't have an all white/asian health care force!

But you guys can keep arguing about it :laugh:

:thumbup: Agreed. Tangents galore are causing the arguments here. Feeding the trolls is a full time job...

More culturally biased where race and culture and income are tightly bound. The example my sociology teacher gave in college was a question on a test that used an example from yachting.

Someone who has never sailed may be unfamiliar with vocabulary and the problem (or reading passage) may be far more difficult for that person than it is for someone who has been sailing since childhood.

Thank you for the clarification!

If you have to ask if you are a URM -- then guess what..... you're probably not. End of discussion.