Am I wasting my time trying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmv1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,I am a bio major and chem minor. I am in my 3rd year and looking to take the mcat this upcoming summer. I have started to study for mcat with my practice books and thinking about investing in a course for mcat in my area. My overall gpa is currently 3.3 an upward trend and my sgpa is 3.6. My number one choice would be LSU either in New Orleans or in Shreveport. I do not have any ec as of now. I planned to begin shadowing a pediatrician over the summer, possibly shadow a osteopathic doctor as well. Then volunteer in a local hospital during the school year. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time looking at my post :)

Members don't see this ad.

1. What makes you think you're wasting your time? First, becoming a great applicant doesn't happen over night; it's a long road. And a passion for helping others and medicine has to be cultivated over a period of time. Be patient and see if this is something you want to do. If nothing else, preparing for becoming a physician will change you for the better as a person even if you don't end up being a physician.

2. Are you unsure if you would like being a doctor or are you feeling discouraged?
If it's the first, you should take a hard look at what is motivating you with pursuing this path. If it's the latter, your numbers aren't beyond being accepted. In fact, you get a decent MCAT (read: 27+) you've got a chance anywhere. You do need to maintain your grades, but please know that there are plenty of applicants like you with less than stellar numbers getting into great DO schools every year.

My recommendation:
I do think you should wait a year or two and apply June 2014 or 2015 to build up your ECs, get your MCAT down, and get your final year of grades. Make sure that your grades are good. Also, if you get the chance, try re-taking some of the pre-req classes so that you can take advantage of the AACOMAs grade replacement. It will help you improve your GPA. Also, try getting involved in ECs you enjoy: some volunteering a clinic/hospital, volunteering in a non-clinical activity, and a EC of your choice. For example, if you like modern art or journalism, join a school program for fun or develop a hobby of your own. Also, I would recommend getting a leadership position of the opportunity arises.

Good luck and don't fret.

1. What makes you think you're wasting your time? First, becoming a great applicant doesn't happen over night; it's a long road. And a passion for helping others and medicine has to be cultivated over a period of time. Be patient and see if this is something you want to do. If nothing else, preparing for becoming a physician will change you for the better as a person even if you don't end up being a physician.

2. Are you unsure if you would like being a doctor or are you feeling discouraged?
If it's the first, you should take a hard look at what is motivating you with pursuing this path. If it's the latter, your numbers aren't beyond being accepted. In fact, you get a decent MCAT (read: 27+) you've got a chance anywhere. You do need to maintain your grades, but please know that there are plenty of applicants like you with less than stellar numbers getting into great DO schools every year.

My recommendation:
I do think you should wait a year or two and apply June 2014 or 2015 to build up your ECs, get your MCAT down, and get your final year of grades. Make sure that your grades are good. Also, if you get the chance, try re-taking some of the pre-req classes so that you can take advantage of the AACOMAs grade replacement. It will help you improve your GPA. Also, try getting involved in ECs you enjoy: some volunteering a clinic/hospital, volunteering in a non-clinical activity, and a EC of your choice. For example, if you like modern art or journalism, join a school program for fun or develop a hobby of your own. Also, I would recommend getting a leadership position of the opportunity arises.

Good luck and don't fret.

Sorry I didn't clarify. I was afraid I was wasting my time trying to get into a do or md school. I felt my grades weren't up to par and also the fact I didn't have any EC's yet. I am going to graduate next year in 2014. My gpa should go up by a little by then. I am planning to do EC's for the whole next year as well, covering shadowing and volunteering. My MCAT score I am aiming for a 30+, I will study 3 months earlier than the test date and dedicate to studying only for MCAT and I will also be signing up for the MCAT course. I REALLY want to get into LSU-NO or LSU-Shreveport. Do you think I would have any chance? Thanks for your input!