Am I wasting my time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardline

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have fallen in love with the field of dentistry like many of the readers and contributors on this forum.

Stats: Biology major with a cumulative GPA of 3.32 and a science of a 3.0. I took the DAT and received an overall of 18.

I have over a hundred hours of shadowing experience and several good letters of recommendation.

I am aware my GPA is quite low and my DAT is nothing to be proud of, but I do plan on increasing my DAT score dramatically (I used the Kaplan approach the first go around but I know I can improve my scores).

My question is this, am I wasting my time even trying to be a dentist? I do not want to give up, but I feel so discouraged in this venture. I have been told my GPA is too low and it is not even worth bothering to attempt to get into a school. I am willing to dedicate time and effort to get a DAT score of 20+ but will this even be enough? I simply cannot take no for an answer, it would be heartbreaking to do so. Any helpful advice and opinions would be much appreciated.

My best wishes to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you still in undergrad? If so, what year? You still might have some time to bump the gpa up a bit. Regardless, I would definitely retake the DAT.

Don't give up!!

Are you still in undergrad? If so, what year? You still might have some time to bump the gpa up a bit. Regardless, I would definitely retake the DAT.

Don't give up!!

Thank you for the positive / speedy response Mowgli!

I am a senior getting ready to enter my final semester of classes unfortunately :(

I have considered taking a couple of extra science classes after getting my Bachelor's degree in order to boost the science a bit, maybe this approach combined with improving my DAT is the best way to go about it?

Thanks again :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the positive / speedy response Mowgli!

I am a senior getting ready to enter my final semester of classes unfortunately :(

I have considered taking a couple of extra science classes after getting my Bachelor's degree in order to boost the science a bit, maybe this approach combined with improving my DAT is the best way to go about it?

Thanks again :)

or maybe even a master's depending on how high you're aiming. Science classes sound like a good idea. Perhaps, it would help you out with your DAT too.

Did you apply already? You said you have good LORs.

or maybe even a master's depending on how high you're aiming. Science classes sound like a good idea. Perhaps, it would help you out with your DAT too.

Did you apply already? You said you have good LORs.

I would prefer to not take an abundant amount of classes tbh.
I have applied to 20 schools since I figured the shotgun method would be the best approach.
Have heard 3 negatives and I am waiting to hear from the rest :xf:

Two of them say "Received/Application Complete" while the remaining schools say "Received/Under Review" under the school decisions sections of the AADSAS site.

I consider my LOR's to be good because I have solid relationships with the faculty of my school and I was on a mobile dental van (Medical Teams International) for a majority of last summer from which I received a very positive letter from the head of the van.

This is true, I guess I'm just doubting myself. I'll post back here if I don't here anything positive from any schools after the cycle is over.

Don't give up on your dream, man! Always try your best.

I have a few suggestions. First get your DAT score up. I would say 20 or higher would be great. Next to get your science GPA up you might want to consider joining a research lab. I joined a chemistry research lab during the beginning of my sophomore year and I've earned like 40 credits worth of As. AADSAS counts that towards your science GPA. Really was a great buffer.

Of course research sucks but just gut it through!

I have fallen in love with the field of dentistry like many of the readers and contributors on this forum.

Stats: Biology major with a cumulative GPA of 3.32 and a science of a 3.0. I took the DAT and received an overall of 18.

I have over a hundred hours of shadowing experience and several good letters of recommendation.

I am aware my GPA is quite low and my DAT is nothing to be proud of, but I do plan on increasing my DAT score dramatically (I used the Kaplan approach the first go around but I know I can improve my scores).

My question is this, am I wasting my time even trying to be a dentist? I do not want to give up, but I feel so discouraged in this venture. I have been told my GPA is too low and it is not even worth bothering to attempt to get into a school. I am willing to dedicate time and effort to get a DAT score of 20+ but will this even be enough? I simply cannot take no for an answer, it would be heartbreaking to do so. Any helpful advice and opinions would be much appreciated.

My best wishes to all!

There is ALOT of hope left. IMO, you should do a 1 year post-bacc with heavy emphasis on biological-type sciences (to bring up the 3.0 sGPA and give upward trend).... couple that with a respectable DAT (20+ on both AA and TS) and you'll have a decent shot.

Alot of hope imo. Max your senior credit load to show that you can handle it, and ace it. study for the DAT now as long as you can, and get over a 21. have your DAT taken by end of may, and you will get an interview. the trick here though, is completing your DAT before june first and getting your application out at the first chance. this will be difficult to do if taking 20 credit hours and trying to get a 4.0. social life will suffer, and trust me, it really stinks watching your friends enjoy their last semester and having acceptances to graduate school while you have to stay in to study.

My best wishes to all!

Who told you that? Regardless of who told you that, there are still possible for you to accomplish your goal. It all depends on YOU.

Since you are bio major, I am not sure how much more science courses you can rack up and show admission that you are able to handle the course load but if there are many classes left then you should definitely take it but make sure to ACE IT ALL. If there aren't classes left for you to take in science then go for master program?

As for DAT, you should re-take it and make sure to get over 21+ and it will help you to balance out (in my opinion) the low GPA.

There are still hope!!!

Wow, thank you everyone for the fantastic replies! I feel I can definitely improve my stats and and ace my final semester if I do dedicate myself and focus. I will now plan on studying for the DAT as of now and re-take it before the end of May. If this is still not enough a 1 year post-bacc is in order with an emphasis on the sciences.

I will NOT give up ;)

Wow, thank you everyone for the fantastic replies! I feel I can definitely improve my stats and and ace my final semester if I do dedicate myself and focus. I will now plan on studying for the DAT as of now and re-take it before the end of May. If this is still not enough a 1 year post-bacc is in order with an emphasis on the sciences.

I will NOT give up ;)

thats what i like to hear! u can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat as you, but my current major is Comp Science, I decided on dentistry at the last semester of my third year after deciding that I would provide support for my mom since she would be unable to work in a few years due to her work condition.... My current GPA is 3.21 and well, mostly my math is suffering right now... I quite good with science and my 2 general bios, I get A and B, my first general chem, I expecting an A. I not really fear those classes except for Organic chems, totally new to me. But I worry most is my GPA, so working in research lab can improve GPA? I didnt know...

But yea, I think what other members said were right

I am in the same boat as you, but my current major is Comp Science, I decided on dentistry at the last semester of my third year after deciding that I would provide support for my mom since she would be unable to work in a few years due to her work condition.... My current GPA is 3.21 and well, mostly my math is suffering right now... I quite good with science and my 2 general bios, I get A and B, my first general chem, I expecting an A. I not really fear those classes except for Organic chems, totally new to me. But I worry most is my GPA, so working in research lab can improve GPA? I didnt know...

But yea, I think what other members said were right

Can anyone confirm that research hours count in a positive way towards science GPA's while applying to dental schools? Never heard of this before.

Well great news everyone to give hope to those with similar similar to me. I was accepted to creighton dental school on dec. 1st! I'm so grateful to have this opportunity and I could not be happier :) ill answer questions if anyone has any.

Well great news everyone to give hope to those with similar similar to me. I was accepted to creighton dental school on dec. 1st! I'm so grateful to have this opportunity and I could not be happier :) ill answer questions if anyone has any.

Wow great story! Did you ever retake your DAT? If not, that is pretty amazing. Congrats! :thumbup:

Wow great story! Did you ever retake your DAT? If not, that is pretty amazing. Congrats! :thumbup:

I was planning on retaking it and literally about to purchase the destroyer books on the 1st of dec and then I got the news. Thanks for the congrats!

Did you leave out the detail where you had an interview with Creighton? =P

Did you leave out the detail where you had an interview with Creighton? =P

Creighton does not always require an interview to get in, I was very fortunate and was accepted without an interview. Should be getting the official letter of acceptance in the mail tomorrow. :)

creighton does not always require an interview to get in, i was very fortunate and was accepted without an interview. Should be getting the official letter of acceptance in the mail tomorrow. :)

whoaaa o_o

Can anyone confirm that research hours count in a positive way towards science GPA's while applying to dental schools? Never heard of this before.

It depends on the school. Some schools give you credits with pass/fail others can give you a grade

Don't worry, your not the only one! My gpa is slightly lower, 2.9 and am stressing out so bad about this and next semester because I want to get my gpa up and have a solid shot at dental school. I was planning on taking the DAT this year, but I will wait to see how this semester plays out. I'm sure there are many more in the same situation. I haven't given up yet, just trying even more!

Creighton does not always require an interview to get in, I was very fortunate and was accepted without an interview. Should be getting the official letter of acceptance in the mail tomorrow. :)

Wow, congrats :D :D..

Good things will come to those who never give up :luck: :luck:

Don't give up! I was in your position walking out of college in 2010. I did the same thing took the DAT and used kaplan and got a 19....their materials are not enough - search these forums (DAT forum) and find out what materials to use that worked for other people. I went from a 19AA/19TS/19PAT to a 22AA/21TS/24PAT - 4 months later (i didn't study in between the waiting period until that summer when i decided to retake it)... so first step I'd say retake the DAT and get a 21+ its sooo possible!

Secondly, when would you be applying?? If its summer June 2012, make sure your application gets sent out right away. I.e get on those recs from teachers early; have your personal statement proofread and done before apps even open... As for classes, even though its your senior year - strengthen this next semester do really well! Than be sure to take extra classes next semester does not have to be at your school - try and avoid cc if your applying to a school that does not want that.

I just got into dental school Dec 1 (tufts) Just one - but that's all you need right! And its still early so who knows if I'll get interviews ~ I am on some schools on hold for my fall grades which is a sign that they are reviewing my app and see some potential. Upward trends! Don't give up!

PS check the sub 3.0 thread - it helped me a ton and so did a lot of other threads on sun

Congrats! You are so lucky. I know you got 18 on your AA. How about your TS /PA???

Ts was 17 and pa was 19. I heard Creighton likes a high pa and they also look for individuals who have been an active part of their community especially in undeserved areas. I volunteered on a mobile dental van with medical teams international for an entire summer and have been involved in quite a few extracurricular activities during my college career. I feel that the admissions committee at Creighton look much more at the individual as a whole rather than only gpa and dat stats. Just my two cents.