How screwed am I? What are my chances of getting to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmImsmartenough?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Graduating this year from UCSB with a 2.85sh in geology, hoping I will get it to a 3.0 (not a fan of geology, and it's the wrong major I chose) (SO BORING). I decided this during the pandemic because it's the fastest one I could graduate. (I wish I did some art or anything on that side for a 4.0 or higher GPA)

Anyways;

My CC GPA combined with pre-dental courses is a 3.85
Overall DAT score: 27/30

Am I in good standing when registering?
I will be taking a GAP year because my parents need my help financially and will start shadowing or working at a dental office. Also, I missed the registration for schools. During that time, I plan to get started on a Bioengineering degree in my community college or get it started, so I won't waste time and be productive for what I want to do during my senior year.

Small background about me: Trilingual. came from 3rd world country, first-generation college student, pharmacy experience (5+ years)

Members don't see this ad.

Overall gpa is a 2.85? What’s science gpa? If it’s bellow a 3.0 you will probably need to do a masters, and need to do well in those classes. Then you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Overall gpa is a 2.85? What’s science gpa? If it’s bellow a 3.0 you will probably need to do a masters, and need to do well in those classes. Then you should be fine.
Overall GPA is not 2.85. (3.85+2.85)/2 = 3.35? is this how they calculate it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA is not 2.85. (3.85+2.85)/2 = 3.35? is this how they calculate it?
You need to figure out your cumulative GPA. It is combined based on all of the credits you have taken. Yes you have an amazing DAT! However, an amazing DAT will get you in with a GPA that is low, but most places to have gpa cut offs. Plus it will be important to show in upward trend. It will show you will be able to perform well in dental school courses.

You need to figure out your cumulative GPA. It is combined based on all of the credits you have taken. Yes you have an amazing DAT! However, an amazing DAT will get you in with a GPA that is low, but most places to have gpa cut offs. Plus it will be important to show in upward trend. It will show you will be able to perform well in dental school courses.
I would say figure out your gpa and if it’s around a 3.0 or below I would consider a masters. Also reach out to the schools you are interested in and figure out the cut offs. Also, if your sgpa is below a 3.0 also will need a masters.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

Graduating this year from UCSB with a 2.85sh in geology, hoping I will get it to a 3.0 (not a fan of geology, and it's the wrong major I chose) (SO BORING). I decided this during the pandemic because it's the fastest one I could graduate. (I wish I did some art or anything on that side for a 4.0 or higher GPA)

Anyways;

My CC GPA combined with pre-dental courses is a 3.85
Overall DAT score: 27/30

Am I in good standing when registering?
I will be taking a GAP year because my parents need my help financially and will start shadowing or working at a dental office. Also, I missed the registration for schools. During that time, I plan to get started on a Bioengineering degree in my community college or get it started, so I won't waste time and be productive for what I want to do during my senior year.

Small background about me: Trilingual. came from 3rd world country, first-generation college student, pharmacy experience (5+ years)
why would you enroll in a bioengineering degree if your endgoal is to be a dentist?

work and save money in your gap year. I think you will need to do some post bacc work though. calculate your GPA like AADSAS does: Calculating Your ADEA AADSAS GPAs

DAT is very good, GPA is very concerning, experience is not bad. What Im not seeing is shadowing hours; get ~150 hours of shadowing and/or working in a dental office otherwise you well not be accepted no matter how high your GPA or DAT is.

why would you enroll in a bioengineering degree if your endgoal is to be a dentist?

work and save money in your gap year. I think you will need to do some post bacc work though. calculate your GPA like AADSAS does: Calculating Your ADEA AADSAS GPAs
I want to do research after dentistry with a bioengineering degree. I have some ideas and theories I want to test and develop that haven't been discovered. Just the lack of education kills me in those two except the biology part. I am decent in Bio understanding concepts etc. (I just chose the wrong major, and I am depressed at this point of my career. Due to parents hassling me for a science major, even if I did art or something in that region, my GPA would be a 4.0 or above guarantee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does doing a post-Bacc mean I'm an idiot to schools? I see where I screwed up, and I did not enjoy anything from this major I picked. Hate my life. :(

Does doing a post-Bacc mean I'm an idiot to schools? I see where I screwed up, and I did not enjoy anything from this major I picked. Hate my life. :(
No. Plenty of students got into dental school after postbac work.

Read up on the process to applying to dental school through ADEA AADSAS, and figure out what your actual application GPA's are. You should also sign up for the ADEA GoDental Recruitment Fair; the virtual fair is in May.

I want to do research after dentistry with a bioengineering degree. I have some ideas and theories I want to test and develop that haven't been discovered. Just the lack of education kills me in those two except the biology part. I am decent in Bio understanding concepts etc. (I just chose the wrong major, and I am depressed at this point of my career. Due to parents hassling me for a science major, even if I did art or something in that region, my GPA would be a 4.0 or above guarantee.
I don't think this is a good plan.

You do not need a bioengineering degree to do research, and an undergrad degree in it will not significantly help you imo.

I think what it will do is cost you time, money, and energy that will make it more likely that you will burn out before dental school.

You need to focus on calculating that GPA and seeing if it is good for you to apply, and if not, fix that, and apply to dental school ASAP.

You are not in a good position to do a post-bacc unless you need to complete some pre reqs. It will only raise your gpa so much. However, a masters is considered as a separate GPA. Some schools only will consider the masters GPA.

You are not in a good position to do a post-bacc unless you need to complete some pre reqs. It will only raise your gpa so much. However, a masters is considered as a separate GPA. Some schools only will consider the masters GPA.
Why not? I do need to complete some pre req for dental school.

Why not? I do need to complete some pre req for dental school.
Okay well that is a different story, but I would try to complete those separately, then do a masters. This is because if you have a low gpa, and depending on how many credits you have, it will be very difficult to improve your gpa. If do a post-bacc, you will most likely only be able to move your gpa up by .1-.2 points. If you get a masters it will give you a separate gpa, so if you get a 4.0 it will matter more than if you get a 4.0 on your post bacc

It appears that the OP needs to cover some basics. For a quick resource, OP, read How to Get Into Dental School: A Free Admissions Guide . We also have a lot of pinned threads in the Pre-Dental forum that you should read. If you have questions about the process of becoming a competitive applicant -- especially if you haven't finished your prereqs -- send me a Conversation/DM.

Work as a geologist.... what are you doing applying to dental school. Go work for oil