Am very lost, sub-3.0 GPA

Started by violence
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

violence

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2.89cGPA with same science GPA. Am taking MCAT Sept 3, studying is ok but is quite difficult because it's been a very long time since I've taken these classes (some 4 years ago). Have been in community college for 4 years, am starting my 3rd year of university at a UC (my 3rd year since I transferred, unit wise I can graduate). Last year got a B average GPA each quarter (2.9-3.1) which is not an upward trend unfortunately. Am staying for the next year but will be applying in January to post-bacs/SMPs. I plan to try my hardest to get straight As, but even then my GPA will only go to 2.93 or so since I've taken so many classes through my college career.

Where do you recommend applying? I am come from a very socioeconomically disadvantaged background if that helps. I want to work with underserved patients as a physician too.

:scared:
 
Since I am a disadvantaged student myself I kinda know what you're going through. First, you need to understand why you're not performing well in your classes ? Is it because you work a lot or is it because you're not understanding the materials taught in class.

If the problem is with "working", I would suggest "not working" for a year and focus on raising your GPA. A 4.0 in your senior year would help your apps a lot.

If the problem is with "learning", you should identify what causes you to "underperform" in classes. Is it the load you're taking every quarter or that you do not attend enough office hours.

I would suggest applying to UC post bachelor next year for students interested in serving underserved communities. But you might need to show them an increase in GPA trend, preferably 3.8 and above. UCSF, UCLA, UCD, UCI, UCSD etc.

I don't suggest applying to SMP unless you are sure that you can perform well compared to medical students and most require a rather competitive MCAT score (>29 ish).

PM me if you need a specific question about UCSF post bac.
 
Last edited:
2.89cGPA with same science GPA. Am taking MCAT Sept 3, studying is ok but is quite difficult because it's been a very long time since I've taken these classes (some 4 years ago). Have been in community college for 4 years, am starting my 3rd year of university at a UC (my 3rd year since I transferred, unit wise I can graduate). Last year got a B average GPA each quarter (2.9-3.1) which is not an upward trend unfortunately. Am staying for the next year but will be applying in January to post-bacs/SMPs. I plan to try my hardest to get straight As, but even then my GPA will only go to 2.93 or so since I've taken so many classes through my college career.

Where do you recommend applying? I am come from a very socioeconomically disadvantaged background if that helps. I want to work with underserved patients as a physician too.

:scared:

It seems like a long shot since there are thousands of applicants each year with higher GPA's and medical schools might screen out all candidates below a certain GPA.

You should still try to do well on the MCAT, apply and see what comes of it but have a back up plan ready.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well... the thing is, I don't have an upward trend in GPA. Last year was consistent B's or B-'s. I am so very lost at the moment. I think I will start with retaking some bio classes that I got C's in and get A's, which would mean AACOMAS would see only the A's right? Also, are post bac/SMPs looking at both the C and the A or just the A in terms of retakes?
 
Well... the thing is, I don't have an upward trend in GPA. Last year was consistent B's or B-'s. I am so very lost at the moment. I think I will start with retaking some bio classes that I got C's in and get A's, which would mean AACOMAS would see only the A's right?

Correct. They use only your most recent grade in a class to calculate your GPA.

Also, are post bac/SMPs looking at both the C and the A or just the A in terms of retakes?

There are SMPs hosted by DO schools, but I have never been able to get a clear answer about if they allow grade replacement. The other SMPs definitely DON'T.

Also, just to be clear, applications for SMPs begin at the end of spring semester, not in January, and you are already too late for this year's SMP cycle. So basically there is no reason at all that you should be applying with a sub 3.0 GPA. take (or retake) 2 semesters worth of classes and get that GPA over 3.0. Then shoot for an SMP with a high success rate like GTown or EVMS. Apply broadly, of course, but there's no reason to sell yourself short this far in advance of your goal.

Of course the immediate problem is the MCAT.

BTW, if it helps, I started with a similar GPA and didn't even have the time to bring it up to a 3.0. I got a high but not incredible MCAT, did an SMP, and they let me in only a year late. This is definitely doable as long as you do well on the MCAT.
 
Also, just to be clear, applications for SMPs begin at the end of spring semester, not in January, and you are already too late for this year's SMP cycle.

Perrotfish,
Can you explain this? If I am planning to enroll August 2010 to EVMS (for example), I should apply Oct 1 2009 right? It is not too late, if I am not mistakened (taken from their website).

Thanks
 
Perrotfish,
Can you explain this? If I am planning to enroll August 2010 to EVMS (for example), I should apply Oct 1 2009 right? It is not too late, if I am not mistakened (taken from their website).

Isn't that when their application become available, rather than when their application closes? I could be wrong, but I thought you could submit their apps through April, and they're one of the very first apps to close. Keep in mind that with some exceptions (GTown) SMPs don't have rolling admissions, so there's no advantage in applying uber early like their is in medical school apps.
 
Fall semester is when the application become available right? so ideally I should have my MCATs before then.

Say I am planning on retaking undergrad classes in the upcoming spring semester (Jan 2010) and fall semester (Aug 2010), when should I ideally take my MCATS and when should I apply for post-bac programs, caribbean schools, and DO schools?

Thanks!
 
Fall semester is when the application become available right? so ideally I should have my MCATs before then.

Say I am planning on retaking undergrad classes in the upcoming spring semester (Jan 2010) and fall semester (Aug 2010), when should I ideally take my MCATS and when should I apply for post-bac programs, caribbean schools, and DO schools?

Thanks!

i would take the MCAt as early as feasible next year...try to take it early in the year before spring semester...that should give you a good solid month of studying if you put in some time in the fall semester.

this would allow you to apply to SMP's...most of which open up their application for the fall around Dec/Jan and also place you in a position to apply to med schools that summer..a plus if the school you are at the SMP at also has a med school with it.

i would put in my application..let it get verified and then wait for at least one quarter of grades before you decide to submit any secondaries.

also, as someone previously mentioned...you need to figure out why you are struggling. as someone in a masters program currently, they are not easy by any stretch of the imagination. you will not be able to work (there are a RARE few who do) and you will need to focus solely on your classes to kick some behind.
 
i would take the MCAt as early as feasible next year...try to take it early in the year before spring semester...that should give you a good solid month of studying if you put in some time in the fall semester.

this would allow you to apply to SMP's...most of which open up their application for the fall around Dec/Jan and also place you in a position to apply to med schools that summer..a plus if the school you are at the SMP at also has a med school with it.

i would put in my application..let it get verified and then wait for at least one quarter of grades before you decide to submit any secondaries.

Let me clarify:

Fall semesters range September-December
Spring semesters range February-May

I wont be retaking these courses till February of 2010 (aka Spring semester), and then some more courses in Fall 2010 (and NOT Fall 2009, which is to begin at the end of next month). I think you might have confused the dates or the different posts. So based on the information above, when should I take MCATs, apply for post-bac programs, SGU at Caribbean, and DO schools.

Thank you!
 
University of Cincinnati SMP - opens up applications in December so technically I should be ok taking MCATS in the fall semester and then applying towards the end of December. I am assuming this is the same for all other SMP's. Based on this, I wouldnt be able to start post-bac till August 2011. Medical School, August 2012.

SGU - I would need to get my application in by November to be able to start in their January class. Therefore, in this case, I should take my MCAT's in the spring semester (at least before June-August). I would start Medical School by January 2011.

D.O. Schools - Deadline for applications is February. So it would be impossible for me to apply until the same time-frame as the post-bac program. Interviews start in September, and end in March. So I am assuming they interview candidates as we apply. In other words, if accepted, I should be able to start medical school by Fall 2011.

Of course, this is if all the stars line up for me and I am able to work as hard as I need to. Sucks being a loser sometimes.
 
Let me clarify:

Fall semesters range September-December
Spring semesters range February-May

I wont be retaking these courses till February of 2010 (aka Spring semester), and then some more courses in Fall 2010 (and NOT Fall 2009, which is to begin at the end of next month). I think you might have confused the dates or the different posts. So based on the information above, when should I take MCATs, apply for post-bac programs, SGU at Caribbean, and DO schools.

Thank you!


i did get the dates confused..thank you for the clarification.

are you planning any more classed after the fall 2010 semester??

i think your best shot to take the MCAT would be to start studying in May when you are finished with Spring semester...take it in August before you go back to school.

this would allow you to apply to SMPs in Fall 2010/Spring 2011. you would also be able to apply to med schools then in may 2011 when the applications become available.

best wishes
 
Well (regarding me, the original thread starter), I wanted to get my applications in very soon after they came out since with my GPA I need all the help I can get. This is why getting Winter quarter grades (which come out around March 25, 2010) to count will be too far for me I believe. I could, of course, always update my applications but I feel that will be too far removed from when I actually submit my applications and by them the admissions committees would most likely have already made a decision on my app. Of course I will still try it, but I want to see what else I can do really.

Thanks for the help so far btw, I'm sure you have, at some point, understood what it's like to being in my shoes (or close to it).
 
Well (regarding me, the original thread starter), I wanted to get my applications in very soon after they came out since with my GPA I need all the help I can get. This is why getting Winter quarter grades (which come out around March 25, 2010) to count will be too far for me I believe. I could, of course, always update my applications but I feel that will be too far removed from when I actually submit my applications and by them the admissions committees would most likely have already made a decision on my app. Of course I will still try it, but I want to see what else I can do really.

Thanks for the help so far btw, I'm sure you have, at some point, understood what it's like to being in my shoes (or close to it).

i t/f my application from CCOM to the program i am now in. i ended up having to get one mroe lor which put me back to mayish. i was placed on the waitlist and was fortunate enough to get in. but this particular program does most of its admittance in march/april. so those grades would be right on schedule for this program at least. i think most SMPs are this way with a few exceptions. their application season does not really gear up until people realize that interview season is over and they are not getting in. i know the main admittance time for all 3 chicago programs is the same, then they are rolling after that. but they review the most applications in march/april.


you are not too late to consider a SMP for next fall...in fact if you rock your coursework and bring it up to a solid 3.0 you stand a decent shot.

i got in with a 3.0 cum and a 3.6 science and a 29 mcat. it can be done.

:luck:
 
undergrad 2.8 gpa, postbac 3.3 gpa.
took dat twice
aa: 23 -> 24
pat: 26 -> 23

in my supplemental applications, should i discuss failed courses / low gpa?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad