AMA about UChicago's Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UChicagoCAP

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a current fellow at University of Chicago's child and adolescent program. As ERAS has recently opened, I thought I could answer any questions anyone may have about our fellowship. It's a great program, which has grown, including an exciting new affiliation with Compass Health Center here in Chicago. Please visit our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UchicagoCAPP/ and website, as well, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship for more info.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How does the uchicago program compare to northwestern’s?
Similarly structured, but different philosophies.

We also have 4 months of PHP (at Compass Health Center, the best PHP program in the city)
4 months of CL at UofC
4 months of inpatient

Similar clinics, but we have no call and genuinely protected didactic days. I would say our work life balance is better. UChicago has a big emphasis on teaching and providing a good and supportive environment for the fellows (not saying Northwestern doesn't, just mentioning what the focus is for UChicago). Our biggest strength is our faculty who are truly dedicated to teaching and making sure the fellows succeed.

How does the uchicago program compare to northwestern’s?

Lurie Children's is an extremely elite children's hospital so that alone is going to change the experience compared to UofC. Now if you are not into medically ill patients (many CAP folks are not) or high volume ED's that could go either way on preference. Call at NW was previously very intense, but they've had so much turnover that I have no idea what the current setup is. UofC has historically focused heavily on didactics and fellow protection which some people love, others have wished for a bit more clinical intensity and throughput, definitely depends on learning style.

I'm glad to hear a current UofC fellow have that positive of experience with the faculty, turnover and changes in the program have been significant going on a few decades now, sounds like some good changes were made.

Lastly, Compass Health is absolutely not the unequivocal best PHP in the city. Chicago has very strong PHP/IOP/Residential offerings.

Lurie Children's is an extremely elite children's hospital so that alone is going to change the experience compared to UofC. Now if you are not into medically ill patients (many CAP folks are not) or high volume ED's that could go either way on preference. Call at NW was previously very intense, but they've had so much turnover that I have no idea what the current setup is. UofC has historically focused heavily on didactics and fellow protection which some people love, others have wished for a bit more clinical intensity and throughput, definitely depends on learning style.

I'm glad to hear a current UofC fellow have that positive of experience with the faculty, turnover and changes in the program have been significant going on a few decades now, sounds like some good changes were made.

Lastly, Compass Health is absolutely not the unequivocal best PHP in the city. Chicago has very strong PHP/IOP/Residential offerings.
Fine, one of the best. :)

Fine, one of the best. :)

Agreed, there are multiple excellent child psych fellowships in Chicago! I'm a second-year fellow at Lurie, and I heard very positive things about UofC during interview season. My adult training and medical school were in community and rural settings, so I chose Lurie/Northwestern to be in a children's hospital setting for fellowship.

I'm happy to report that positive changes have been made in reducing the call duties (thought we still have some, there's no in-house call overnight). It's a growing department, adding faculty and clinical programming (I'm excited about a new clinic to provide asylum evaluations for children). Also, we get regular contact with the chair and program director who have been willing to make big changes based on fellow feedback. I would say that both UofC and Lurie/NW have high-level training, with slightly different settings and strengths!