AMA D3 Temple Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flossboss24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With interviews around the corner and students just generally wanting to know more about Temple, feel free to ask away. (I also run a dental instagram, @dentspire) so feel free to message me on there and I will be sure to include any questions/answers on here as well). I'll probably answer all the questions during the evening, so be patient and I will answer them all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Thank you for doing this!
What do you think make Temple special relative to other schools? In what area is the program strong in? And in what areas you feel that it can improve upon?

Reactions: 1 users
I have a bunch. Sorry if this is disorganized. I just vomited questions, each paragraph touches on a theme that I’m curious about, feel free to answer any or all of them. Thanks for doing this!!!!

How many people failed(?) D1 or D2? What is remediation like at temple?
How many people are not graduating on time?

Of the students that want to be general dentists, how many of them are doing AEGD/GPR’s? How many feel confident enough to go into private practice right after graduation?

Are there enough chairs/patients to fill the graduation requirements? Do they handle the class size appropriately in sim lab and in clinic? How many professors are readily available in sim lab (prof to bench ratio?)

How is the competition, gunners, etc. Are people tight knit and supportive?

Is the surrounding neighborhood as bad as people say? What are pros and cons to living in philly?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thank you for doing this!
What do you think make Temple special relative to other schools? In what area is the program strong in? And in what areas you feel that it can improve upon?

We have a few strengths, first Temple has a great student body. Our student bodies across all classes are really built on camaraderie and team work! We are a lively and social bunch that kinda lives by the work hard, play hard mentality. In terms of program strengths, we are a clinically heavy school, which is hammered from day 1. We start pre-clinic in the first week of classes and we build from there. In D1 and D2 you spend a good 15-20 hours in pre-clinic a week. That is followed by just a rigorous clinical education in D3 and D4 years. We have an overflow of patients at the school and some really crazy situations that you would only see in a text book but are common place at Temple. The faculty are pretty great with a nice blend of new and innovative faculty, private practice, and long time faculty so there is always different perspectives to learn from. Lastly, we have a wide array of duty rotations from Pediatrics, to emergency OS, emergency Endo, Infant care, orthodontics, admissions/radiology, triage that give us a wide array of experience in different aspects of dentistry. We also have graduate perio and endo clinics were we have a required amount of assists we have to complete. We have one issue at times and that is disorganization. We are a large school, a lot of moving parts between 3 specialties, AEGD, faculty practice, and the nearly 300 students treating patients on a given day which can lead to communication problems at times, but it really isn't too much of a bother because the school is receptive to our feedback and tries its best to make improvements.

Hope that helps, I would be happy to elaborate or clarify if need be!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a bunch. Sorry if this is disorganized. I just vomited questions, each paragraph touches on a theme that I’m curious about, feel free to answer any or all of them. Thanks for doing this!!!!

How many people failed(?) D1 or D2? What is remediation like at temple?

(This is hard to say but maybe 3-4 students failed and most remediated the year or they passed a redemption opportunity and continued along as normal. Typically if you fail, you talk to a committee that does its best to help you find a solution) Temple monitors everyone so if you begin to slip, they will reach out and try to help, whether that be by tutors or the professors themselves)

How many people are not graduating on time?

I honestly don't know the answer to this but last I heard the on time graduation rate was around the 90% range and pretty much everyone within 1 month after graduation.

Of the students that want to be general dentists, how many of them are doing AEGD/GPR’s? How many feel confident enough to go into private practice right after graduation?

I don't have a specific number. There is a recent uptick in students from Temple wanting to do a GPR/AEGD program but not because they want to cement the basics but rather expand their skill set or because of state requirements. We have a decent amount of students from Delaware and NY which require a residency to practice. Also many students are often interested in specialties to they do a GPR or something to for application purposes. Confidence to jump right into private practice is not an issue for temple grads, our schools reputation is built on confident clinicians.

Are there enough chairs/patients to fill the graduation requirements? Do they handle the class size appropriately in sim lab and in clinic? How many professors are readily available in sim lab (prof to bench ratio?)

There are plenty of chairs at our school, is unheard of to not have a chair to practice. Often times if your clinic gets booked then you can book in one of the other clinics on the other floors. We have a wealth of patients, it is not an issue to fulfill graduation requirements. You just have to make sure you are putting in your work by calling patients. They do handle faculty to student ratio well, in clinic, they will vary the faculty to students based on how many chairs are in used and complexity of treatments, I have not had an issue of not having faculty. As for pre-clinic it I would say maybe 1:10 students as a ratio and the school will bring in more faculty as needed into pre-clinic, I have not had an issue with there being faculty shortage.

How is the competition, gunners, etc. Are people tight knit and supportive?

What is a gunner? LOL. We don't have a competitive environment at our school, it is tight knit camaraderie. We help each other out from day 1 and make sure that we all graduate! No one at our school holds a mentality that their individual success is achieved by stepping over others. There is a lot of room to succeed at Temple for everyone, it just comes down to how hard you work

Is the surrounding neighborhood as bad as people say? What are pros and cons to living in philly?

EXPAND TO SEE ANSWERS ^^^^

Surrounding area is sketchy but no one is hanging around the dental school at night. During the day it is fine. Most people live in different areas of philly or its suburbs. I would say Philly's biggest advantage is its culture. We are such a melting pot of a city, you can find anything you like and the right people. The food is insane here, FOOD TRUCKS for DAYSSSS. The city is has a big city feel and small city feel. You can escape the noise and busy lifestyle in a matter of minutes from center city if you want general peace. I am bias so I don't really see many cons to our city except maybe if you hate the occasional snowstorm or two every year or when septa decides to go on strike every 5 years or so.

Hope that helps and I would be happy to answer more questions.

Reactions: 1 user
What kinds of procedures are you allowed to do in the clinic? Are dental students able to get any experience with endodontics, extractions, implants, etc.?

Do you have any tips for interview??? I heard there is an essay to write.

What kinds of procedures are you allowed to do in the clinic? Are dental students able to get any experience with endodontics, extractions, implants, etc.?

In the spirit of full disclosure, Temples greatest weakness compared to other like-schools is that students get very little experience placing implants. This is largely due to the presence of an AEGD, and Perio residency. Factor those 2 things, and a very low socioeconomic patient population, you can imagine anyone that will pay for implants goes directly to them. Everything else is free game, molar Endo (if you’re up for it), restoring implants, surgical ext’s, including 3rds, full scale pedo (where you have your own patients), etc. —-recent grad

Last edited:

We are a allowed to do all procedures except those that are often beyond our scope, they would be sent to grad programs if we can’t. We don’t place implants as students but we can restore them, we have students making procedures on all-on-x restorations. Professors are open to letting students try complex procedures if they have proven themselves and have confidence in their work. Not much of our work is ever referred away to our graduate programs. As a student we do have the opportunity to spend free time in our emergency oral surgery and endo department to take on more cases or assist and learn.

Do you have any tips for interview??? I heard there is an essay to write.

The essay is not anything crazy. My advice is just have fun at the interview! Be your own self, laugh, and have a good time. Know why you want to dentistry and why you think Temple is a good fit for you. If you get an interview, approach it with the mentality that it’s your spot to give up. Ask tough questions because you’re trying to find out whether Temple is a good fit for you too. Hope that helps!