AMA: MD/MBA who founded/ran a successful VC-funded business. ?about medicine and business

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awesomepossumMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey wanted to put this out here in case anyone was interested.
Since I could remember I always loved the humanitarianism of medicine, and the strategizing of business. Also growing up, all the doctors I knew keep saying that things were changing for the worse. I thought "I don't want to get rolled over," and figured background in business would be a good idea.

Naturally I got an MD/MBA (mine was 4 years which was sweet). I did some consulting projects, went to residency at SF Bay Area, joined a medical device start up (never got off the ground), and than started and ran my own company that eventually raised over 1.4 million in venture capital funding, and the company is still going strong (have stepped down as CEO since). I am now a fellow and about to start another company (assuming my patents go through), and just kind chilling to see what opportunity comes next.

There are tons of doctors here with more experience than me on medicine, so I dont think I can add anything to it. But I had a lot of question about getting into the business of medicine and wanted to offer my experience to anyone wondering about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Would you recommend getting an MBA while in medical school? I am matriculating next year and looking at 100K for that extra year. Do you think that would be worth it?

Does the medical school you go to matter more than the MBA? or Vice versa?

How can I get involved in such endeavors during medical school?

Mind if I PM about some more personal questions?

Reactions: 1 user
What specialty did you do/what would you recommend for people interested in business?

When did you realize you wanted to focus more on business than practicing medicine?

What kinds of jobs/opportunities are available to people who do MD/MBAs?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think you could have accomplished all this without the MBA? How did the MBA help, knowledge, connections, or both?