AMA: Starting D1 Tomorrow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrevorwestDDS

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few hours to kill before school starts (orientation actually) tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous, but mostly excited to finally get things started. I've been looking forward to this for a longggg time. I don't profess to know more than anyone else on here, but I can offer my two cents on anything yall might wanna know. My path to school, undergrad stuff, tuition/loans, OSU football...blah blah.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for this. How much in loans are you looking to take out this year ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for this. How much in loans are you looking to take out this year ?

So this past week I've spent a ton of time on understanding all the different loan options out there and making a budget for this year (yeah, I know I probably should've done it sooner ha). My total loan amount for year 1 is going to be 99K. 78K is just tuition and the rest is for everything else. My fingers are crossed that I can stick to the plan and not have to borrow more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few hours to kill before school starts (orientation actually) tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous, but mostly excited to finally get things started. I've been looking forward to this for a longggg time. I don't profess to know more than anyone else on here, but I can offer my two cents on anything yall might wanna know. My path to school, undergrad stuff, tuition/loans, OSU football...blah blah.
Why OSU?

1%...I went into the interview with mid level expectations, but left with feelings that I had to go there no matter what. They really treated me like family for the two days I interviewed there. I felt like every faculty member, professor, or student I met made me feel like I belong here and that they all want to help me succeed. To me, the number one factor in deciding where you should go to school is how you personally fit the program. OSU wasn't the cheapest school I got into, but I think its the school that gives me the best chance of becoming a great dentist. 99%...I finally wanted to be a part of a winning football program. (may or may not have switched those percentages. Can't remember)

Reactions: 2 users
What other schools were you accepted to? Does being over 400k in debt after interest scare you and do you have a plan in place for how you're going to pay it back?

What other schools were you accepted to? Does being over 400k in debt after interest scare you and do you have a plan in place for how you're going to pay it back?
The other schools were Pitt, Iowa, and Nova. So luckily after this first year I will get to qualify as an Ohio resident, which drops tuition to 50k a year. I should be right around 320K in total debt after the 4 years. That's still a huge pile of cash to pay back though. I did the math and the 99k from this year is going to be 135k in 10 years. Sooo interest is going to be a B*** to pay back. I've ruled out living anywhere near big cities when I graduate. I don't like that scene anyways. I'm a small town kinda person. So the plan as of now is to go work as an associate for 2 or 3 years until I feel like I can handle my own practice, then branch out and either take over that office or buy an already existing office from someone who is retiring. Hold off on buying my dream car till I'm 35 and try to dominate the loans as quick as possible to not have the stress weigh down on me. Thats how I envision it in my head anyways. Lots easier said than done ya know?

The other schools were Pitt, Iowa, and Nova. So luckily after this first year I will get to qualify as an Ohio resident, which drops tuition to 50k a year. I should be right around 320K in total debt after the 4 years. That's still a huge pile of cash to pay back though. I did the math and the 99k from this year is going to be 135k in 10 years. Sooo interest is going to be a B*** to pay back. I've ruled out living anywhere near big cities when I graduate. I don't like that scene anyways. I'm a small town kinda person. So the plan as of now is to go work as an associate for 2 or 3 years until I feel like I can handle my own practice, then branch out and either take over that office or buy an already existing office from someone who is retiring. Hold off on buying my dream car till I'm 35 and try to dominate the loans as quick as possible to not have the stress weigh down on me. Thats how I envision it in my head anyways. Lots easier said than done ya know?

Getting instate is going to help a lot. Were their requirements for instate residency strict? Also I've been hearing a lot of good things about pitt. Was it a difficult choice to decline them?
If you don't mind, what was your gpa/dat/# schools applied

Edit- just watched your youtube videos. Keep it up!

Getting instate is going to help a lot. Were their requirements for instate residency strict? Also I've been hearing a lot of good things about pitt. Was it a difficult choice to decline them?
If you don't mind, what was your gpa/dat/# schools applied

Edit- just watched your youtube videos. Keep it up!
Yeah instate is huge. 400k plus for school is pretty crazy. Doable for sure, but with some big sacrifices. Its a pretty lengthy process to get residency here, which is annoying, but they say 99% of people get it. I loved Pitt actually. It was the hardest to turn down for sure. The city was the thing that turned me off the most. It felt pretty sketchy to be honest. I'm sure I saw like 3% of it and there are schools in much worse places, but it wasn't for me. The school itself seemed like a crazy strong program. Lots of research to do if you want and they place a lot of students in residencies. Nothing bad to say at all. They were my second choice no doubt. Took me about 2 months to decide between the two.

My Gpa was a 3.72, DAT was a 22, and I applied to 15 schools and had 7 interviews (I wish I would've only applied to around 10. I wasted a lot of money)

And thanks! ha. I love to make videos. I think it'll be pretty cool to look back on when I'm older

See you are orientation tomorrow!

Also, I heard biochem was super easy here. Did you take it from Wood or Graves at BYU?

Reactions: 1 users
See you are orientation tomorrow!

Also, I heard biochem was super easy here. Did you take it from Wood or Graves at BYU?
Ohh whats up man! I'm pumped. I took it from Price(not the cool Ochem Price either) actually...nice guy, but so confusing when he was preparing us for the tests. I really hope so cause I saved it for my last semester at BYU and despised it ha.

Ohh whats up man! I'm pumped. I took it from Price(not the cool Ochem Price either) actually...nice guy, but so confusing when he was preparing us for the tests. I really hope so cause I saved it for my last semester at BYU and despised it ha.
Interesting, didn't know there was a second price! O chem price was nice though. Do you know of any other BYU kids coming?

Members don't see this ad :)
Of the other schools you got into, which was would have been the cheapest? Also, what's your state of residency if you don't mind me asking?
I think Iowa was going to be the cheapest after everything was said and done. They offered a decent scholarship and the cost of living is dang cheap there. But I think it still would've been around 290k total. I applied with residency in Florida, but did my undergrad it Utah. So I played the I'm not tied down to any one state card when I interviewed at OOS schools.

Were you offered any significant scholarships from any of the schools?

Interesting, didn't know there was a second price! O chem price was nice though. Do you know of any other BYU kids coming?
O chem Price was a homie. I know there are like 3 or 4 more guys in the class, but I don't know them personally. So thats pretty sweet.

Were you offered any significant scholarships from any of the schools?

Nothing too huge. 5K a year was the most. I don't think my grades were high enough for the crazy big ones. I'm really grateful to get that though. Any bit helps right?

Let me guess...the Quality Inn above the Panera?
I think it was a red roof Inn. I had no idea where to find good/cheap places to stay online. Shoulda called the school now that I think about it

Hey Trevor I just saw your youtube video on interview tips!! Sorry about your headphones haha. Thank you so much for it, it was super helpful and took good notes.

Hey Trevor I just saw your youtube video on interview tips!! Sorry about your headphones haha. Thank you so much for it, it was super helpful and took good notes.
haha Thanks man. I actually got them to send me a replacement pair for free! I thought for sure they were gonna be like uhh no way bro you shouldn't have put them in the washer genius

Love your videos man! Keep producing :)

Also, let us know how orientation goes tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
Best of luck. Saw some of your YouTube videos and loved them.

Do you have a dress code at your school?/Did they tell you what to wear to orientation?

How were you informed of scholarships? Was it after you were accepted or after you put a deposit down?

Thanks for doing this by the way!

Do you have a dress code at your school?/Did they tell you what to wear to orientation?

How were you informed of scholarships? Was it after you were accepted or after you put a deposit down?

Thanks for doing this by the way!
Yeap the school let us know a few months ago about what we should wear everyday. For us at OSU, its scrubs everyday even if we are just in lecture. I love that personally. So easy. Then they emailed us about a few weeks ago on what we should wear to orientation. It's all professional or business casual for that.

I was informed about my scholarship a month after I was accepted soo...around february. That was before I put down my final deposit. I believe each school is different though on their timing.