AMA vs. AOA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goose...Fraba

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys had a question....

If a DO takes USMLE step I and step II (as well as the comlex I and II), and does a osteopathic internship, when it comes time to take step III, could they take the USMLE step III instead of the comlex step III?

reason why I am asking is I am planning on doing a allo residency, but where I live doesnt have a allo internship, but there is a osteo internship. I would like to be a member of the AMA and a fellow of a AMA residency because from what I have heard, it is much easier to get CME credit in the AMA world as opposed to the AOA world. GOsh I hope this all makes sense! Thanks, hope someone knows the answer.

Goose

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that the COMLEX exams are NOT optional.
It's good that you are taking the USMLE, though, so you have all your bases covered when applying to programs.

I hadn't heard the CME thing before.

Goose...Fraba said:
Hey guys had a question....

If a DO takes USMLE step I and step II (as well as the comlex I and II), and does a osteopathic internship, when it comes time to take step III, could they take the USMLE step III instead of the comlex step III?

reason why I am asking is I am planning on doing a allo residency, but where I live doesnt have a allo internship, but there is a osteo internship. I would like to be a member of the AMA and a fellow of a AMA residency because from what I have heard, it is much easier to get CME credit in the AMA world as opposed to the AOA world. GOsh I hope this all makes sense! Thanks, hope someone knows the answer.

Goose

About the CME. Go to your state medical board website. If they have have an osteopathic board go to that website.
For example in Texas MDs and DOs would contact the Texas state board of medical examiners and the restricitions on CME are:
"Physicians need to complete at least 24 hours of continuing medical education, at least half of which must be in formal courses. These hours should be counted from expiration date to expiration date.
Documentation of CME courses shall be made available to the Board upon request (Spring 97 Newsletter "Board Initiates CME Audits"), but should not be mailed with annual registration payment. Random checks will be made to assure compliance. Formal courses include those recognized by American Medical Association, American Osteopathic Association, Texas Medical Association, Texas Osteopathic Medical Association and medical specialty societies. Informal self-study includes attendance at hospital lectures, grand rounds, or case conferences.
As of 1999, at least 1 of the formal hours must involve the study of medical ethics and/or professional responsibility. Professional responsibility can involve courses in Risk Management, Domestic Abuse, or Child Abuse."

As a student you can be a member of the AMA. You can become board certified by an Allopathic board and Osteopathic board by completing a either a dual accreditted program or by going to an allopathic program and petitioning for AOA approval. It does not matter in most states whether you are boarded by the ABEM or the ABOEM (emergency medicine) your CME will dpend on the state licensing requirements.

double elle said:
It's my understanding that the COMLEX exams are NOT optional.

COMLEX I of course is mandatory and my guess that II is mandatory at most schools in order to graduate. III is not mandatory. That is if you take all three steps of the USMLE only. I don't know if this is state dependent or not; however I would guess that this is true in a lot of states as many states do not have a separate osteopathic medical board. The best idea is to go to the original source and take what you hear on these boards with a grain of salt, check the individual state guidelines, links to which can be found through the FSMB website.

I took USMLE and COMLEX I/II and elected to take USMLE III only, mostly because COMLEX III is a hassle what with only a few dates to take it and all (though I think this is changing). I am doing allopathic internship and residency all the way through. To the OP, again I would check individual state requirements. I know that for the state where I will be practicing, for a DO, USMLE III and either an ACGME/AOA intern year are fine for licensure.

Whether you take COMLEX III or not depends on the state you want to practice in and its licensure requirements for osteopathic physicians.

Some states will license DOs who have taken all 3 steps a national board, whether it is USMLE or COMLEX. Others will only give license to DOs who have completed all 3 steps of COMLEX and not USMLE.

For example:

In Pennsylvania

§ 25.241. Unrestricted license by examination.
To secure an unrestricted license for the practice of osteopathic medicine and surgery by examination, the applicant shall meet the following educational and professional requirements. The applicant shall have:

(2) Received passing scores on Parts I, II and III of the National Board Examination. The applicant shall pay the required examination fee at the direction of the National Board.

Source: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter25/subchapGtoc.html

NOW, you can say "National Board" could mean USMLE or COMLEX. But unfortunately,

§ 25.1. Definitions.
The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

NBOME—The National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners.

National Board Examination—The uniform written examination of the NBOME.

Source: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter25/subchapAtoc.html

Another state: Florida

459.006 Licensure by examination.--Any person desiring to be licensed by examination shall:

(3) No more than 5 years prior to application, have obtained a passing score, as established by rule of the board, on all parts of the examination conducted by the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners or other examination given and administered by the board.

(I don't think Florida Board of Osteopathic Medicine administers its own examination for licensure purpose)

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0459/SEC006.HTM&Title=->2004->Ch0459->Section%20006#0459.006

Take home point: Check with the states that you may want to practice to see if they require COMLEX III for licensure. It would be wise just to take COMLEX III anyway, in case you want to practice in states that do require it

thanks guys so much for the info