research stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scpm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I recently started a summer research internship, I'm unbelievably lucky to be there and I'm genuinely interested in the project, but I have zero prior experience and I've been feeling super stressed out.

I have no idea what the "culture" of working in a lab is like and I can't figure out how people typically work/communicate - I feel like I'm being too apologetic, asking my mentor too many clarifying questions, and at the same time I've already made a couple really stupid mistakes and feel terrible about it. I don't want to be annoying and make it look like I can't even do simple tasks on my own, but I also don't want to make more careless mistakes but I also don't want to come off as overconfident or arrogant.

Does anyone have any advice about how to handle this stress or how to work/behave in a basic science lab?

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! I recently started a summer research internship at a top med school + hospital affiliated lab- I'm unbelievably lucky to be there and I'm genuinely interested in the project, but I have zero prior experience and I've been feeling super stressed out and intimidated.

I have no idea what the "culture" of working in a lab is like and I can't figure out how people typically work/communicate - I feel like I'm being too apologetic, asking my mentor too many clarifying questions, and at the same time I've already made a couple really stupid mistakes and feel terrible about it. I don't want to be annoying and make it look like I can't even do simple tasks on my own, but I also don't want to make more careless mistakes (forgetting to put a solution back in the fridge, forgetting something my mentor asked me to do because I was focusing on another task...etc..) but I also don't want to come off as overconfident or arrogant.

I don't know when it's okay to ask somebody a question when they're at their computer or bench and when I shouldn't bother them. I've been trying to observe and see how everyone else works together but I don't think I picked up on it yet.

I had no experience reading dense scientific articles before the past two weeks - I've read and discussed one with my mentor so far and I understood the main points and figures but it took me 4 days and tons of notes to get through it. I know I just started and that I'm there to learn, but this level of insecurity and stress is new to me. I'm terrified of messing up my mentor's experiments and falling behind on what's expected.

I'm the only undergrad there, and I don't have any friends or anyone in my family whos ever done research or did anything premed related so I have nobody to ask for advice. I'm doing this research full-time but also working at another part-time job at night and volunteering. This lab is considering keeping me for the school year too if I do well, so I really really want to be successful there.

Does anyone have any advice about how to handle this stress or how to work/behave in a basic science lab?

Thank you!!!
In my opinion, it’s better to ask questions than to assume you know it or avoid it and then have the staff realize you did something wrong later. I would suggest at all times though you try and figure things out first, trouble shoot, look stuff up before you go to them with a question. Then when you ask you can explain your thought process and then ask for advice.

In every new lab people take time to adjust. You’ll get used to it and eventually you will feel confident and be able to work independently. But for the time being, focus on following directions. Take notes. Set reminders if you are forgetting basic things like putting away solution.

When you interrupt someone at their computer to ask a question, just say “I’m sorry, but I want to make sure I get this right” then ask the question.

Good luck.
I’m a research lab manager and those are the things I’ve noticed that help.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a very similar experience when starting research last summer. It can be very overwhelming as an undergrad to suddenly begin working with people who are well established in academia. However, they've chosen you to intern there for a reason, and no matter what you do, I'm sure your enthusiasm will shine through. I wouldn't worry about looking dumb. In my experience in a lab setting (though I've only ever been in two), if you are eager to learn, that's enough for most people to respect you.

I started working on my independent project about a year ago and I still make dumb, sometimes costly, mistakes that my mentor has to correct. It is expected that there is a learning curve when you join a lab and start reading about/working on these types of projects for the first time ever. So in short, I think you should take it easy on yourself (seriously, criticizing yourself and worrying about messing up all the time can ONLY hurt you), and don't be afraid to ask questions. I just started at a new lab and my PI said "Don't be a hero and try to figure it all out on your own, we expect undergrads to have a lot of questions." You will pick up speed when reading articles and the precision of your work will increase over time. There's nothing wrong with having questions or making mistakes this early on, or arguably for the entire duration of your undergrad career.

Reactions: 1 user