Amazing tweets by former AANA president

Started by mmag
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This guy can't use your vs you're properly, types u instead of you like my teenaged niece, and goes off on crazy twitter rants.
This is the type of person they choose to lead the AANA these days?
This is a provider who will possess the maturity and professionalism to deal with the responsibility that comes with what we do?
Yikes.
 
Last edited:
Why would CRNAs want to give up their current situation? If something goes wrong, they can just point at the anesthesiologist. Most of the ones I know have defined hours and paid overtime. I get paid less per hour than most CRNAs. I say let them loose. Let them take the in-house call. Let them stay late to cover the add-ons and slow surgeons. Let the market figure it out. I would rather do my own cases anyway.
 
Why would CRNAs want to give up their current situation? If something goes wrong, they can just point at the anesthesiologist. Most of the ones I know have defined hours and paid overtime. I get paid less per hour than most CRNAs. I say let them loose. Let them take the in-house call. Let them stay late to cover the add-ons and slow surgeons. Let the market figure it out. I would rather do my own cases anyway.
I'm starting to feel like this more everyday. I did my own cases for a week a couple of weeks ago and it was invigorating.
 
I'm starting to feel like this more everyday. I did my own cases for a week a couple of weeks ago and it was invigorating.

Wow, now there's a 180. Wasn't too long you would scoff at me for saying I preferred to do my own cases. You'd brag about how your CRNA's would place labor epidurals while you slept at home, and said that supervision was the greatest scam ever. Welcome to the light.
 
Wow, now there's a 180. (Yep) Wasn't too long you would scoff at me for saying I preferred to do my own cases.(Guilty as charged) You'd brag about how your CRNA's would place labor epidurals while you slept at home (nothing wrong with that), and said that supervision was the greatest scam ever (it is). Welcome to the light (Just a lesser darkness, really).
 
This is the type of person they choose to lead the AANA these days?
This is a provider who will possess the maturity and professionalism to deal with the responsibility that comes with what we do?
Yikes.

Exactly my thoughts. And I was part of that ridiculous commentary on Twitter.

Always wanted to use this... :troll:
 
How come someone doest send those unprofessional comments to the media? It makes leadership of the AANA look childish and would get most doctors fired if they made similar remarks in a public forum.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
My, my he is looking more unhinged with each new tweet.
CRNAs would have a tough time competing against MDs, I think you would see many surgeons not set foot in an OR with an independent nurse.
Reality is a real B.
 
Last edited:
Exactly my thoughts. And I was part of that ridiculous commentary on Twitter.

Always wanted to use this... :troll:

If it's any consolation I read the whole exchange and I think the doctors involved (including the female surgeon Juan condescendingly talked down to) remained very professional in the face of that crazy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You guys are missing the big point the FORMER AANA PRESIDENT is doing.

He's the FORMER PRESIDENT.

which means he doesn't hold an official title and can go off on twitter without any repercussions

http://www.aana.com/aboutus/Pages/Board-of-Directors.aspx

Repercussions for what and from who? The ASA? The attendings making money supervising 4 rooms? The AANA can market themselves this way with impunity. That has always been the problem.
 
Repercussions for what and from who? The ASA? The attendings making money supervising 4 rooms? The AANA can market themselves this way with impunity. That has always been the problem.

No I mean he's no longer officially AANA president. So he doesn't represent them as this too official.

He can be more free to speak his mind.

He wasn't tweeting like this when he was president of the AANA organization.
 
Actually Quintana is on a panel that will develop cost measures for cost performance evaluations as a part of MACRA. Maybe physician led or physician only anesthesia care will be dinged by MACRA under MIPS. Translation: this outstanding guy has the potential ability to reduce medicare reimbursement for cases done by an anesthesiologist or ACT care model.

http://www.aana.com/newsandjournal/...RA-Cost-Measures-Technical-Experts-Panel.aspx

Repercussions for what and from who? The ASA? The attendings making money supervising 4 rooms? The AANA can market themselves this way with impunity. That has always been the problem.
 
You guys are missing the big point the FORMER AANA PRESIDENT is doing.

He's the FORMER PRESIDENT.

which means he doesn't hold an official title and can go off on twitter without any repercussions

http://www.aana.com/aboutus/Pages/Board-of-Directors.aspx

But it stands to reason that he was probably harboring those exact thoughts while he was the AANA representative--one can only wonder if the current AANA president holds a similar view.

addendum: looking at his twitter--he's really fond of calling them MDAs....i'm just a recently accepted med student so I wouldn't know if it's common practice for Anesthesiologist to call themselves MDAs--is it? or is this a subtle insult?
 
Actually Quintana is on a panel that will develop cost measures for cost performance evaluations as a part of MACRA. Maybe physician led or physician only anesthesia care will be dinged by MACRA under MIPS. Translation: this outstanding guy has the potential ability to reduce medicare reimbursement for cases done by an anesthesiologist or ACT care model.

http://www.aana.com/newsandjournal/...RA-Cost-Measures-Technical-Experts-Panel.aspx
Hmm a militant CRNA sitting on the panel that's going to determine Medicare reimbursements. I'm no wizard, but I think I know where the cuts are going to come from.
 
Actually Quintana is on a panel that will develop cost measures for cost performance evaluations as a part of MACRA. Maybe physician led or physician only anesthesia care will be dinged by MACRA under MIPS. Translation: this outstanding guy has the potential ability to reduce medicare reimbursement for cases done by an anesthesiologist or ACT care model.

http://www.aana.com/newsandjournal/...RA-Cost-Measures-Technical-Experts-Panel.aspx

Highly, highly doubt that.
This guy isn't anyone important in the big scheme of things.
A comet could come wipe us out tomorrow too I suppose though.
 
he's like the minor league baseball player that thinks he's just as good as Mike Trout or Clayton Kershaw. Sure buddy, keep telling yourself that. Unfortunately talking big doesn't make you big. Just doesn't get it.

I feel fortunate to work in an ACT practice with CRNAs that enjoy working with anesthesiologists. The ones that don't sort of weed themselves out of our group one way or another.
 
No I mean he's no longer officially AANA president. So he doesn't represent them as this too official.

He can be more free to speak his mind.

He wasn't tweeting like this when he was president of the AANA organization.
Trust me, he's been talking trash like this before, during, and after his stint as AANA president. This is nothing new for Juan.
 
So if you want this BS to be addressed I recommend writing a brief but clear email or letter to the ASA and your state society. If we just post it on forums and bitch about it, nothing will happen.
His tweets are sexist and physician bashing. Nobody should stand for this.
If the ASA wants us to support them they must support us.
 
So if you want this BS to be addressed I recommend writing a brief but clear email or letter to the ASA and your state society. If we just post it on forums and bitch about it, nothing will happen.
His tweets are sexist and physician bashing. Nobody should stand for this.
If the ASA wants us to support them they must support us.
I like the initiative but what could the ASA do? It's a free country, he can spread propaganda and be as toxic as he wants to be. That's what Twitter was made for.
 
He would get laughed out of any real facility, let him have his delusions of grandeur in the middle of nowhere.
Even the bottom of the barrel AMCs don't let CRNAs practice without supervision as a rule. Maybe a random facility here and there but not anything significant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So if you want this BS to be addressed I recommend writing a brief but clear email or letter to the ASA and your state society. If we just post it on forums and bitch about it, nothing will happen.
His tweets are sexist and physician bashing. Nobody should stand for this.
If the ASA wants us to support them they must support us.

I say go even further. His twitter is linked to http://www.sleepyanesthesia.com/general-info/. Looks like he is the president of some sort of anesthesia group. A formal complaint should be filed and his twitter comments forwarded to the hospital that his group has privileges at.
 
Last edited:
I say go even further. His twitter is linked to http://www.sleepyanesthesia.com/general-info/. Looks like he is the president of some sort of anesthesia group. A formal complaint should be filed and his twitter comments forwarded to the hospital that his group has privileges at.

That's not an anesthesia group, it's a corporation that provides staffing and/or billing assistance. It's like a small time locums company.
 
If you have any doubt as to how militant the AANA is, just check out the twitter of its former president, Juan Quintana.



He will remind you that he's a doctor because he has a DNP.

Don't forget to comment on the VA CRNA rule.
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=VA-2016-VHA-0011-178740

Remember personalized comments count for more than a form letter.


Has anyone archived his tweets? I'm sure CMS would love to read then now that he has been named to to a MACRA "Experts" panel.