AANA Bylaws amendments just passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Rude

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
From Reddit

Bylaw amendments which passed at the AANA.
Hello all
The bylaw amendments were not created by the AANA, they were all member driven and voted on by the members.
So a couple of things passed to take effect in 2025 which positively impacts our profession. For reference, it requires 2/3rd of the voting membership to pass a bylaw amendment.
  1. a dues increase passed which was really important as there has not been one in 14 years. This increase will be a 3 year stepwise increase and is pretty low but will help us continue to operationalize advocacy on the professions behalf.
  2. An amendment passed which will allow the aana board the freedom to add additional membership categories besides the 2 that currently exist which are RRNA/NAR and CRNA. The board will determine what best to open up. However, we have been hearing RNs and NPs as well as other corporations and associations (like the AACN and AANP) have an interest. For reference many other orgs do this including the ASA which has some 12 different categories. This will increase non-dues revenue but also provide a pathway into the profession for RNs and NPs who are interested.
  3. An amendment passed which eliminates the term “student” from all AANA documents and replaced it with “Nurse Anesthesiology Resident”.

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
From Reddit

Bylaw amendments which passed at the AANA.
Hello all
The bylaw amendments were not created by the AANA, they were all member driven and voted on by the members.
So a couple of things passed to take effect in 2025 which positively impacts our profession. For reference, it requires 2/3rd of the voting membership to pass a bylaw amendment.
  1. a dues increase passed which was really important as there has not been one in 14 years. This increase will be a 3 year stepwise increase and is pretty low but will help us continue to operationalize advocacy on the professions behalf.
  2. An amendment passed which will allow the aana board the freedom to add additional membership categories besides the 2 that currently exist which are RRNA/NAR and CRNA. The board will determine what best to open up. However, we have been hearing RNs and NPs as well as other corporations and associations (like the AACN and AANP) have an interest. For reference many other orgs do this including the ASA which has some 12 different categories. This will increase non-dues revenue but also provide a pathway into the profession for RNs and NPs who are interested.
  3. An amendment passed which eliminates the term “student” from all AANA documents and replaced it with “Nurse Anesthesiology Resident”.
So is this going to turn into a compelled speech issue?

I'm not going to call them that and hospitals are too short on attending staff to try such enforcement.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is this going to turn into a compelled speech issue?

I'm not going to call them that and hospitals are too short on attending staff to try such enforcement.

Last time that I checked, AANA positions don’t affect me. Just posting for informational purposes.
Anesthesia Nursing Student.

“But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.” - George Orwell

They can call themselves the grand marshal of anesthesia for all I care but bend toward self importance through language leads to over confidence in one’s abilities which leads to patient harm which is what I find unacceptable.

Reactions: 4 users
“But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.” - George Orwell

They can call themselves the grand marshal of anesthesia for all I care but bend toward self importance through language leads to over confidence in one’s abilities which leads to patient harm which is what I find unacceptable.

I tell all my patients that a nurse anesthetist +- student nurse anesthetist will be part of their care. I don't care what the AANA says.

At the end of the day, residents get paid and students pay to be there.

Reactions: 7 users
I tell all my patients that a nurse anesthetist +- student nurse anesthetist will be part of their care. I don't care what the AANA says.
watch those micro aggressions.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Anesthesia nurse
Anesthesia nurse student

Mid level Nursing has always co-opted medical titles and designations to try to advance their agenda

Can't pretend they are residents when the nursing student leave at 3 pm every day and doesn't do weekends

Reactions: 6 users
“We are proud of our profession.” - AANA

“Please call us doctors.” - AANA

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
This is disingenuous and misleading to the patients. An easy fix: amend the facility’s bylaws to limit use of the “resident“ term to staff holding an MD/DO/DDS/DPM degree. Explicitly limit SRNAs to the term “student” similar to any other learner in the facility working towards their academic degree.

Some state laws, I believe, limit use of the “doctor” term in patient-care settings to physicians, dentists, etc., and forbid nurses holding a doctoral degree from referring to themselves as “doctor” except in traditional academic settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Yeah. I’ve seen a few floor nurse residents. Don’t know exactly what that is but they are calling themselves it

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Changing the term to Nurse Anesthesiology Resident will normalize the use of physicians directing/supervising student nurse anesthetists without a CRNA present in the room. Bad = leaving nurse anesthesia students alone in the OR. Neutral = leaving a nurse Anesthesiology Resident alone in the OR. We do this with Anesthesiology residents all the time right so what's the big deal?
Unsupervised CRNA practices can take advantage of this too. Why are anesthesiologists allowed to run two ORs with residents? Shouldn't independently practicing CRNAs be allowed to run two (or more) room with nurse anesthesiology residents?
Things that appear to be dumb ego driven decisions are actually insidious efforts at blurring the line and monetary gain.

Reactions: 19 users
Changing the term to Nurse Anesthesiology Resident will normalize the use of physicians directing/supervising student nurse anesthetists without a CRNA present in the room. Bad = leaving nurse anesthesia students alone in the OR. Neutral = leaving a nurse Anesthesiology Resident alone in the OR. We do this with Anesthesiology residents all the time right so what's the big deal?
Unsupervised CRNA practices can take advantage of this too. Why are anesthesiologists allowed to run two ORs with residents? Shouldn't independently practicing CRNAs be allowed to run two (or more) room with nurse anesthesiology residents?
Things that appear to be dumb ego driven decisions are actually insidious efforts at blurring the line and monetary gain.
Anesthesia residents are graduated medical doctors with state medical licenses. They have the ability to prescribe medications, write orders, and have malpractice coverage. Whatever you call them, SRNAs are legally just RNs. They can’t even prescribe Tylenol, and if it wasn’t for greedy practices influencing the ASA it would be unthinkable that you could leave them in a room or run another room alongside them.

Now, if they redo the NP clinical training rules so that they have some sort of APN training license then this becomes a big deal. I would hope that would be fought heavily but shortages and cuts in all specialties are forcing a lot of people to do desperate things.

In the past, people hated being a resident and wanted it to be over. Nowadays everybody wants to be a resident. How things have changed…..

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
In the past, people hated being a resident and wanted it to be over. Nowadays everybody wants to be a resident. How things have changed…..
They don’t want to BE residents. They want to REDEFINE the word resident. Redefining words for political purposes is straight out of the leftist totalitarian playbook- just like redefining gender, woman, violence, liberal, tolerance, legal, asylum, assault rifle, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
They don’t want to BE residents. They want to REDEFINE the word resident. Redefining words for political purposes is straight out of the leftist totalitarian playbook- just like redefining gender, woman, violence, liberal, tolerance, legal, asylum, assault rifle, etc.

If the AMA was smart, they would have trademarked the term “resident” just as Monster Cable trademarked the word “monster”. Too late now.

Last edited:
Yeah. I’ve seen a few floor nurse residents. Don’t know exactly what that is but they are calling themselves it
A key difference is that nurse residents are specializing in a nursing field like ICU nursing, not a medical field like anesthesiology.

A key difference is that nurse residents are specializing in a nursing field like ICU nursing, not a medical field like anesthesiology.
Nurse residents?

Does this term refer to:
1. individuals doing clinical rotations working towards a BSN?
2. APP trainees working towards a DNP or MSN?
3. Both?

Nurse residents?

Does this term refer to:
3. Both?
Bsn working to gain expertise in a nursing field, usually a new RB or floor rn wanting to get more skilled at taking care of sicker and more complex patients. They get paid by the hospital but eventually can get ccrn certification once they have enough ICU hours. In the ICU they learn when to worry or not worry, how to titrate pressors gtts, how to respond to **** when there aren't orders telling them exactly what to do, how to run a crrt circuit, etc etc

Nothing has changed. These wannabes don't actually want to do the work of a resident. They just want to misappropriate the term to make it seem their nursing training is more than what it is.

Let's see the ASA response to this, do they have one? Or are they going to say, hey let's be teammates of the amazing care "team"!?

Reactions: 1 user
Nurse residents?

Does this term refer to:
3. Both?
Typically a new RN. Getting further training before working alone. Almost seemed like orientation to me. Saw them in the OR or OB floor. I forget which.

Let's see the ASA response to this, do they have one? Or are they going to say, hey let's be teammates of the amazing care "team"!?
They will say nothing and will just keep propagating their failed notion of a Care Team Model. Garbage.

We have OR nurse residents - I guess it's what used to be called orientation.

I hate to tell you but this has been going on for a LONG time. SRNAs have been free labor for practices nationwide for more than 50 years. It's always about money.

Not really sure how SRNAs are free labor. At least not in my state. They still need a CRNA in the room.

At best, we use it to attract new grads. At worst, it slows down our ORs and leads to errors and harm.

Not really sure how SRNAs are free labor. At least not in my state. They still need a CRNA in the room.

At best, we use it to attract new grads. At worst, it slows down our ORs and leads to errors and harm.
It's a major issue here in Texas.

• Wow
Oh…so they are YOUR nurses now??
“We don’t belong to you”

Just another microaggression.
Tit for tat.

for every nurse anesthesiologist you get referred to as an anesthesia nurse. The “my” is just a little extra salt.

If the AMA was smart, they would have trademarked the term “resident” just as Monster Cable trademarked the word “monster”. Too late now.
The biggest con the AMA ever pulled was convincing the public (and some physicians) that they represent physicians. They're not our advocates and they're definitely not on our side.

If they'd somehow trademarked the term, they'd be profiting by using it against us by leasing it to nursing students, EMT students, acupuncture students, and astrology students.

Reactions: 10 users
The biggest con the AMA ever pulled was convincing the public (and some physicians) that they represent physicians. They're not our advocates and they're definitely not on our side.

If they'd somehow trademarked the term, they'd be profiting by using it against us by leasing it to nursing students, EMT students, acupuncture students, and astrology students.
The AMA historically has been terrible, but they have recently made a lot more effort on the scope creep side of things. Probably too late, but it’s still a positive change at least. AMA successfully fights scope of practice expansions that threaten patient safety

Maybe they will have to add and extra "T" for title to LGBTQ for to avoid mis-titling. Calling someone a nursing student could be pretty harmful and could be considered hate speech.

Typically a new RN. Getting further training before working alone. Almost seemed like orientation to me. Saw them in the OR or OB floor. I forget which.
I thought that those were fellowships.