Amazon begins offering six-month prescriptions for as low as $6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yep, magic words "up to". Good luck is all I'll say. Is amazon really prepared to handle all the customer service aspects of the slew of various parameters (MD, suppliers/OOS, patient manufacturer requests, laws & regulations, pharmaceutical waste, etc.) which can affect filling a prescription?
Amazon is smart and famous; if there's a will, there's a way. Their business involves logistics already

It's not like creating cars de novo (here's to you, Mr. Musk)
 
Logistics can only do so much when dealing with perishable products. How come Amazon isn't killing grocery chains?

Amazon is master of Just-in-time, which has also creeped into grocery stores. That being said, most medications are far less perishable than foods

Of course, just in time is vulnerable to societal shocks, but that is another topic
 
Kudos to Amazon for exposing how fraudulent insurance pricing can be. 6 months of lisinopril is $1.85 from our wholesaler. Most retail pharmacies are making a gross profit of less than a dollar per rx. But thanks to insurance contracts, they can't offer that kind of pricing!
 
Raise your hand if you've ever had your amazon package delivered to the wrong address. I'm still not convinced they've got the logistical chops to kill pharmacy.
I once got an empty bag. I think the driver might have stolen my item. Amazon gave me a refund though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Raise your hand if you've ever had your amazon package delivered to the wrong address. I'm still not convinced they've got the logistical chops to kill pharmacy.

The 6 month drugs we're talking about are cheap. Who cares? They'll just send another one like any other Amazon order. Pharmacy is a flat lined body lying on the ground for the last few minutes. You can do all the CPR you want. It's not coming back.
 
Raise your hand if you've ever had your amazon package delivered to the wrong address. I'm still not convinced they've got the logistical chops to kill pharmacy.
Numerous times & several "lost in transit" (seems to be getting worse); what's more alarming is the fake documentation that something was delivered (Boycotting).

Kind of disgusted at how wasteful Amazon is overall; probably not such a good idea to mix this into pharmacy. I sure as hell have zero faith/trust in proper storage conditions of perishable goods from Amazon & zero trust in labeling (stickers often plastered over crucial stuff like lot#, expiration date, actual manufacturer product label)

Anyone wish they'd just go back to selling books & media? LOL
 
Numerous times & several "lost in transit" (seems to be getting worse); what's more alarming is the fake documentation that something was delivered (Boycotting).

Kind of disgusted at how wasteful Amazon is overall; probably not such a good idea to mix this into pharmacy. I sure as hell have zero faith/trust in proper storage conditions of perishable goods from Amazon & zero trust in labeling (stickers often plastered over crucial stuff like lot#, expiration date, actual manufacturer product label)

Anyone wish they'd just go back to selling books & media? LOL
I wish they would get rid of cheap chinese junk and fake reviews. I have limited my purchases of amazon because I found lot of the products are crap.
 
Is Amazon going to allow insurance? I looked at their brand names and people are not going to pay hundreds/thousands of dollars for a drug that they can get for couple dollars with their insurance.
 
How is Amazon's discount any different from GoodRx, which also says save up to 80% ? I also have my doubts that the customers who use GoodRX regularly, are the kind of people who have a $100/yr Amazon Prime subscription. I would underestimate Amazon, but I don't see this discount having much of an effect on current retail prescriptions.