Amazon is going into the pharmacy business?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The idea that pharmacists should get paid to provide knowledge in the form of counseling is ridiculous and needs to die. That is not an idea worth taking seriously.
I don't think patients should be charged for medication counseling, but I don't think it would be ridiculous if pharmacists were compensated by insurance for some of the counseling provided. We would think it was silly if we went to a doctors office and insurance was only charged for tests run and materials used in patient care. The provider's knowledge and time are also valued. Pharmacists are more than a vending machine for drugs, so it may be reasonable to place some value on their knowledge and time as well.

I have appointments with patients during which I provide detailed patient education. The appointments can take 30 minutes to an hour to complete depending on the number of family members that attend and the number of questions that the patient has about their treatment course. The clinic I work for is paying my salary during that time. I feel like they should be compensated for my time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The idea that pharmacists should get paid to provide knowledge in the form of counseling is ridiculous and needs to die. That is not an idea worth taking seriously.

Sure give away product for at cost reimbursement + 50c dispensing fee. give otc recomendations for free, counsel patients for free who don’t even get rx from you. I’m not saying I even know what the correction is in our profession but don’t be ignorant the problem is and remains that we get paid like any other retail store only for product and we are treated like the overpaid clerks.

Reactions: 3 users
The fact that you can't comprehend something doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed.

Members don't see this ad :)

We should be paid for it. You can be held liable for the information given in consultation, therefore you should be paid. Time is money, and counselling is a liability. No solid reason why it shouldn't be chargeable.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think patients should be charged for medication counseling, but I don't think it would be ridiculous if pharmacists were compensated by insurance for some of the counseling provided. We would think it was silly if we went to a doctors office and insurance was only charged for tests run and materials used in patient care. The provider's knowledge and time are also valued. Pharmacists are more than a vending machine for drugs, so it may be reasonable to place some value on their knowledge and time as well.

I have appointments with patients during which I provide detailed patient education. The appointments can take 30 minutes to an hour to complete depending on the number of family members that attend and the number of questions that the patient has about their treatment course. The clinic I work for is paying my salary during that time. I feel like they should be compensated for my time.

I agree... well said... I don’t know what the right answer is... I do know that it would sometimes take 15 mins to counsel/show a newly diagnosed diabetic how to use test strips to test glucose levels and how to inject insulin etc... I also know that it would not be fair for me to spend 10 mins assessing what the best otc item to recommend for a patient taking into considerating the rx that the pt is currently on and medical conditions that the pt has... Time is money

Reactions: 1 user
I'll apply for sure

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You do realize that Bezos was named the World's Worst Boss by the International Trade Union Confederation, right? An article in the New York Times described working for Bezos and in the offices of Amazon as a grueling and inhumane experience, with many employees regularly being terminated or quitting. (Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace)

What about therapists? They get paid for that same exact ideology and concept.

Anyone wonder if the "Vials" premier may coincide with Amazons possible entry into the market. Perhaps self promotion? Just seems odd that all of this is merging together without some master plan in the works.

Hi back from my rant last year sorry I just felt passionate about the future of pharmacy. Doing well in school just went through Spring Semester 3.6GPA.

This topic is interesting to me. I have a different opinion for you all. The awfulness of Amazon IS legendary but the cushiness of tech jobs also is. For experts the amount of benefits at other places such as Google or Facebook is absurd. Imagine getting off lunch break, you feel buzzed because it was Craft Beer Thursday. You developed a big crick in your neck because of all the orders you needed to approve at CVS and fill but its okay India has a new industry, the pharmacy assistant. You don't have to care about filling anymore. You think back to how awful your life was at CVS doing a 30 hour a week job with low benefits, and screaming homeless and elderly begging for drugs every day. You do this while waiting for your personal masseuse to come up to your office. You now make 160K cash+benefits at your workplace in downtown Seattle/San Francisco/Dubai or whatever. Your workplace is now a giant campus without cubicles, any time you have a question about a medication you can easily go to other qualified pharmacists who will be happy to discuss it with you. Oh right, should have talked to Sanjaya she has a PhD in pharmacology too. Finally the collegiality you have always wanted has returned. You are expected to fulfill hundreds of orders per day but thankfully Amazon's computer science experts created a powerful business enterprise system so that you have the ability to look up patient records and any drug they had taken along with helpful notes as to potential medications to replace with if you disagree with the doctors call.

People will trust your judgement because hell, its Amazon baby. They are flawless. Better hurry though you still need to fulfill 200 more orders or Bezos will lay down upon you his merciless wrath.

Now the profession has taken on a more clinical and mechanical approach. People will rarely ever see a Pharmacist in real life, it will be a lot like Librarian where relatively 90% of everyone seen by the public at a library are just technicians and aides. Some Pharmacists will quit their job because they need patient contact. Many will flourish and feel more satisfied than ever.

In the end Pharmacists at Amazon are not factory workers or no-skill replacable widgets. They are needed to create profits and sell more drugs. They are needed to ensure customer satisfaction. Therefore, IMO Pharmacists will be treated as experts in their field and paid accordingly and treated with care and respect, showering them with the benefits Silicon Valley is known for and making a new standard for other online pharmacies to follow.

Who knows who will be right? Hopefully I will be because I'd love to work in my dream pharmacy. :)

Aged like milk.